follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 12-03-2012, 03:48 PM   #1
LarryGP

Drives: Asphalt FR-S MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Anyone else into ChumpCar or LeMons?

Anyone else here part of a ChumpCar or LeMons team?

My team is getting ready for 14-Hours at Road Atlanta with ChumpCar this weekend, hopefully our finicky little 944 holds together this time... We blew up at Road America a few weeks back and had to dig up another motor....
Attached Images

1985 Porsche 944 Chumpcar
LarryGP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LarryGP For This Useful Post:
bestwheelbase (12-04-2012)
Old 12-03-2012, 09:30 PM   #2
dem00n
Member of the year - 2016

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
A 944 for a lemon car?
Why choose that for a lemon car? Just curious.
dem00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:52 PM   #3
Jedi1
STX build in progress!

Drives: Whiteout FRS. Just Gorgeous!
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I would say because 944's are amazing on a race track. Story over.

I have an invite for this weekends race in a car not my own and an E21 BMW sitting here with a slight fuel system issue, but other than that it's ready to run. UNfortunately the wife has the flu and walking pneumonia. I think I'll be taking care of a sick girl this weekend.

Good luck with the Porsche! Hope to see you on track next season.
Jedi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:54 PM   #4
Kido1986
Dodging cones

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited, 93 Z28
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I want to hook up with a team for one of these, badly. I keep hunting people through my contacts but no luck yet.
Originally Posted by mrbillclintong View Post
If you guys spot any riced frs/brz post them here just for laughs no hating please.
Isn't there already a thread like this? It's called aggressive wheels or summat...
C Street Build/Progress Questions about C Street Autocrossing?
Kido1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:25 AM   #5
LarryGP

It started because I knew a guy who was selling one for cheap. I also know several guys through work who are big into 944's, and have their little network of "parts guys" and Spec 944 racers. So we had a ready-made network of parts and support in the area.

Secondly, like Jedi said, they're a blast on track. The transaxle layout gives great weight distribution.

The downsides? Not as powerful as other "$500 racecars" and the motor can be a little quirky sometimes...

We've had a blast with it though. Here's some onboard of us at Road America:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151206005658666
Old 12-04-2012, 10:22 AM   #6
LarryGP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kido1986 View Post
I want to hook up with a team for one of these, badly. I keep hunting people through my contacts but no luck yet.
If you're looking to buy a ride, there are always teams with open slots, and there's a whole board in the forum devoted to helping make those connections:
http://forum.chumpcar.com/

The Sebring or Daytona races wouldn't be too far for you
ft86Fan (12-04-2012)
Old 12-04-2012, 09:20 PM   #7
ft86Fan

Drives: FR-S, Exige S, Miata
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryGP View Post
If you're looking to buy a ride, there are always teams with open slots, and there's a whole board in the forum devoted to helping make those connections:
I also would love to do one of these races. How does the arrive and drive work? I see on the forum that people usually charge $700 for a seat. Is that all you need to pay? What about other fees like entry fee and stuff? What happens if you crash the car, break the car or someone crash into you while racing? Do you need to have a racing license? What happens if the car is broken and you don't get to drive? Sorry for so many newbie questions. I really want to give this a try next year.
ft86Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:30 PM   #8
FT-86 SpeedFactory

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,253 Posts
Mentioned: 341 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
We run Lemons and Chump. Been running since 2009. Got one first place in Lemons, and a couple Chump trophies as well.

One of the cheapest ( cheap expensive ) ways to go racing wheel to wheel.

FT-86 SpeedFactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:17 PM   #9
bestwheelbase

Drives: 1985 P-Type
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,098 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
We're fans. Those series look like tons of fun.
bestwheelbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:04 AM   #10
Mitch
form follows function

Drives: RIP '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I'm trying to get a Chump team together to support an old Celica.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:24 AM   #11
LarryGP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft86Fan View Post
I also would love to do one of these races. How does the arrive and drive work? I see on the forum that people usually charge $700 for a seat. Is that all you need to pay? What about other fees like entry fee and stuff? What happens if you crash the car, break the car or someone crash into you while racing? Do you need to have a racing license? What happens if the car is broken and you don't get to drive? Sorry for so many newbie questions. I really want to give this a try next year.
You do NOT need a racing license, just a valid driver's license. If it is your first time, you will have to take a short intro course from ChumpCar, explaining track etiquette, the flags, race procedures, etc.

If you want to show up and drive with a team, you would just have to email them and get added to their entry list. And then pay them whatever you and the team agree to. ChumpCar charges the teams a $500 entry fee per car + $100 per driver per race, so that should give you an idea of what you're reimbursing the team for, by "renting" a seat (plus fuel, parts, and time the team has put into the car).

If you crash the car, well, that's between you and the team to work out. From my experience, ChumpCar has some great, clean, courteous, racing, and as long as you pay attention, know your limits, and race your own race, you shouldn't find yourself in any "vehicle totaling" situations. Doing well is much more about simply putting down as many laps as possible than it is about overall pace. There is no need to drive dirty or block a car that is 10 seconds a lap faster and 20 laps ahead of you, and ChumpCar won't tolerate it anyway. Just concentrate on your lines, watch your mirrors, give the obviously-faster cars some point-by passes, and focus on improving your own driving.

If your car breaks before you get to drive, then it breaks and you don't get to drive. It happened to me at Road America. If you're renting a ride, they may refund you, thats between you and the team (and people in ChumpCar are pretty nice, so don't worry). You can always take a stroll down the pitlane and see if anyone else wants to rent you a few hours in another car. Generally though, talk to the team and see how long they've been at it. If they've got a lot of experience, they know how to keep their car on track for the duration of an event. They wouldn't spend all the time and money prepping and hauling the car to the track unless they knew they could finish a race... but still, bad things happen sometimes.

Chumpcar is a BLAST, and such a cool concept. And where else are you going to get a shot at doing big endurance races at places like VIR, Watkins Glen, or Road America?
ft86Fan (12-05-2012)
Old 12-05-2012, 01:44 AM   #12
Trac Toy

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354689802.204729.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  179.6 KB

We run the flat black Mopar4Life neon. We were at road America a few weeks back.
Trac Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:01 PM   #13
bakerr6

Drives: 2013 raven black fr-s
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

The Sebring or Daytona races wouldn't be too far for you
I live in cincinnati and would be willing to get started, just need to find a team haha
bakerr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:30 PM   #14
ft86Fan

Drives: FR-S, Exige S, Miata
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
You do NOT need a racing license, just a valid driver's license. If it is your first time, you will have to take a short intro course from ChumpCar, explaining track etiquette, the flags, race procedures, etc.

If you want to show up and drive with a team, you would just have to email them and get added to their entry list. And then pay them whatever you and the team agree to. ChumpCar charges the teams a $500 entry fee per car + $100 per driver per race, so that should give you an idea of what you're reimbursing the team for, by "renting" a seat (plus fuel, parts, and time the team has put into the car).

If you crash the car, well, that's between you and the team to work out. From my experience, ChumpCar has some great, clean, courteous, racing, and as long as you pay attention, know your limits, and race your own race, you shouldn't find yourself in any "vehicle totaling" situations. Doing well is much more about simply putting down as many laps as possible than it is about overall pace. There is no need to drive dirty or block a car that is 10 seconds a lap faster and 20 laps ahead of you, and ChumpCar won't tolerate it anyway. Just concentrate on your lines, watch your mirrors, give the obviously-faster cars some point-by passes, and focus on improving your own driving.

If your car breaks before you get to drive, then it breaks and you don't get to drive. It happened to me at Road America. If you're renting a ride, they may refund you, thats between you and the team (and people in ChumpCar are pretty nice, so don't worry). You can always take a stroll down the pitlane and see if anyone else wants to rent you a few hours in another car. Generally though, talk to the team and see how long they've been at it. If they've got a lot of experience, they know how to keep their car on track for the duration of an event. They wouldn't spend all the time and money prepping and hauling the car to the track unless they knew they could finish a race... but still, bad things happen sometimes.

Chumpcar is a BLAST, and such a cool concept. And where else are you going to get a shot at doing big endurance races at places like VIR, Watkins Glen, or Road America?
Thank you so much for the detail response. I will definitely give this a try next year.
ft86Fan is offline   Reply With Quote