follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-22-2016, 03:09 AM   #1
KennethJohnson

Drives: 17' 86 16' GSXR-600 Bike life
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Straight pipes and tuning?

So I'm looking into a new FRS and I noticed that in my state (California) that if you buy a new car you don't have to test for smog for 5-6 years you just have to pay..

This got me thinking that maybe I should run straight pipes and delete the cat for a few years and when time comes throw my stock gear back on..

My main question is...

If I go straight pipes and delete the cat will I have to tune my car? And will any shop in California even tune it? Won't it be considered "illegal" so shops will decline service?
KennethJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 03:17 AM   #2
MasonL1997

Drives: Man
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to MasonL1997 Send a message via Yahoo to MasonL1997

As the car has two cats, i gather youll be removing the cat from the front pipe and retain the header in the stock header?

If so, you wont need a tune, you only need a tune if you change the headers (regardless if catted or catless) as there is an O2 sensor in the headers after the cat, but there is not one after the cat in the front pipe.

In a nutshell, straight pipe from the overpipe back youll be all sweet, itll be real loud. I dont live in Cali so i cant say a shop will or will not decline you, but i would say theyll do the work for you, but you cop it on the chin if you get done for not running a cat. I hope i helped.
MasonL1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MasonL1997 For This Useful Post:
KennethJohnson (07-22-2016)
Old 07-22-2016, 03:31 AM   #3
KennethJohnson

Drives: 17' 86 16' GSXR-600 Bike life
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonL1997 View Post
As the car has two cats, i gather youll be removing the cat from the front pipe and retain the header in the stock header?
I was looking into both options.

I'm leaning more towards the full exhaust and new headers.
I'd like a little extra torque or hp, but I don't want a crazy loud exhaust.
Stock is too quiet though :P

And too loud like you said might get me in a bit o' trouble haha.
KennethJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:11 AM   #4
MasonL1997

Drives: Man
Garage
Send a message via AIM to MasonL1997 Send a message via Yahoo to MasonL1997
If you go aftermarket catted headers and a catback it'll give a nice sound. Plenty of videos on YouTube of different set ups. A personal favorite of mine is an Invidia q300 paired with any aftermarket header, then buy yourself an Open Flash Tablet to clear the check engine light and be done with it.

Unfortunately the twins don't have much gains hp or torque without getting a tune. A catback will maybe give you a couple of horsepower but not much at all.
MasonL1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:33 AM   #5
golfyankee2121
Always Moving Forward

Drives: 2013 Argento Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennethJohnson View Post
I was looking into both options.

I'm leaning more towards the full exhaust and new headers.
I'd like a little extra torque or hp, but I don't want a crazy loud exhaust.
Stock is too quiet though :P

And too loud like you said might get me in a bit o' trouble haha.
If you don't want crazy loud, straight pipe with no cats from header back is definitely NOT the way to go lol. I have a catless UEL header with just a muffler delete and it is pretty loud.

Now to get the extra HP and torque, you will need to get a catless header of some sort and tune, which when paired to a full straight pipe would be painfully loud. You could get catted headers, but from what I can understand you don't gain quite as much when compared to catless. Also, there is only one catted aftermarket header that I can think of, and that is the FT86SpeedFactory one.

In my opinion, with a catless header you need at the very least a resonator somewhere in the exhaust or else it just sounds kinda shitty and will be unbearably loud, with tons of drone. A catless header paired to non-resonated, non-catted catback system sounds like a raspy mess.

Watch this video. He has a catless header, catless and non-resonted front pipe, and a tomei 60r, which I believe has one resonator. It sounds good, but my god is it loud. A full straight pipe would make your ears bleed hahaha.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocO6y-R3GHk"]Borla UEL headers, PLM over pipe, Tomei front pipe, Tomei 60R, OFT 1.58 stage 2 tune, FR-S BRZ GT86 - YouTube[/ame]

-J.B.

Last edited by golfyankee2121; 07-22-2016 at 08:06 AM.
golfyankee2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to golfyankee2121 For This Useful Post:
Anthony (08-22-2016), kch (07-22-2016), KennethJohnson (07-23-2016)
Old 07-22-2016, 01:17 PM   #6
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
A tune is not needed. However you will need a tune if you want to get rid of the CEL.
As for sound, exhausts are not loud or quiet because the cats are taken out. They are loud or quiet because of lack of sound suppression (from smaller/ineffective or removed resonators in the exhaust)

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
Mr.Impreza (07-23-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 05:15 AM   #7
1GiantTurtle
Space for Rent

Drives: 2014 6MT ToyoBaru86ScionMonogram?
Thanked 1,136 Times in 526 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfyankee2121 View Post
If you don't want crazy loud, straight pipe with no cats from header back is definitely NOT the way to go lol. I have a catless UEL header with just a muffler delete and it is pretty loud.

Now to get the extra HP and torque, you will need to get a catless header of some sort and tune, which when paired to a full straight pipe would be painfully loud. You could get catted headers, but from what I can understand you don't gain quite as much when compared to catless. Also, there is only one catted aftermarket header that I can think of, and that is the FT86SpeedFactory one.

In my opinion, with a catless header you need at the very least a resonator somewhere in the exhaust or else it just sounds kinda shitty and will be unbearably loud, with tons of drone. A catless header paired to non-resonated, non-catted catback system sounds like a raspy mess.

Watch this video. He has a catless header, catless and non-resonted front pipe, and a tomei 60r, which I believe has one resonator. It sounds good, but my god is it loud. A full straight pipe would make your ears bleed hahaha.

-J.B.
hey thats @Anthony

Instagram: 86turtle
1GiantTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1GiantTurtle For This Useful Post:
Anthony (08-22-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 10:31 AM   #8
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennethJohnson View Post
This got me thinking that maybe I should run straight pipes and delete the cat for a few years and when time comes throw my stock gear back on..
I'm curious how long you'll get away with it before you get a ticket. There have been several posts here where residents of the People's Republik of Kalifornia have been pulled over and ticketed with completely legal exhaust setups because the cop just felt like it, and they had to go to a referee to get the exhaust inspected and the ticket dismissed. One guy had cops pull him over and ticket him after he had already gotten his setup ruled legal, and he was told he would have to keep going back to the referee each time it happened. These tickets were for both loudness and emissions, with cops demanding that people pop their hoods for inspection.

That was with a LEGAL exhaust. Yours will be illegal, so you won't have the option of getting it inspected. You sure you want to risk that while you live in a nanny state?
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 06:29 PM   #9
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
I'm curious how long you'll get away with it before you get a ticket. There have been several posts here where residents of the People's Republik of Kalifornia have been pulled over and ticketed with completely legal exhaust setups because the cop just felt like it, and they had to go to a referee to get the exhaust inspected and the ticket dismissed. One guy had cops pull him over and ticket him after he had already gotten his setup ruled legal, and he was told he would have to keep going back to the referee each time it happened. These tickets were for both loudness and emissions, with cops demanding that people pop their hoods for inspection.

That was with a LEGAL exhaust. Yours will be illegal, so you won't have the option of getting it inspected. You sure you want to risk that while you live in a nanny state?

I think it depends on the person and how that person drives the car.

Little known fact: for the last ~9 months I've been driving with a combination of loud exhaust, quiet exhaust, cat, no cat, and everything else you can think of as far as header/front pipe/exhaust combo is concerned. Probably close to 30 different configs at this point.

No cop issues and my car, while modified, doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

I've been modding cars in California for 20 years now. Gotten a ref ticket once, and that was because I ran a red light.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote