follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-09-2012, 02:27 PM   #1
kanundrum

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 3,016 Times in 1,711 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
ATS carbon clutch collaboration model prototype clutch 86 & BRZ

From the Luck Blog

Is pleased with whether there are more are accessible to the surprised and tripling was out of the articles 86 & BRZ yesterday but I am pleased with getting many blog access has recently shown interest in this car only this I! Also today, I Yurushite topic · car so I'm sorry neta in an additional 86 & BRZ
This is the clutch.
Ones come with the launch of ATS's future is under construction specifications for the rack with a different spec is a carbon clutch which he also currently developing in San ATS.
While asking for more ease of riding, we are currently under development in the content enough to withstand even sports driving.

Response can be up more in the lightweight flywheel, you should be able to deliver the clutch sport full marks degree easy to ride as much as possible while holding the judder.

(Including tax) ¥ 168.000 tentative
If you have completed, so early reservation special prices also served, it welcomes inquiries from everyone.

Also Pulley Work

Is in development for various pulley 86 and the BRZ.
For now, the heaviest crank is, of course, alternator and power steering also for work in progress, the launch of the car is makeshift.
I tell you the price as soon as complete

The image (s) · · · ¥ 33.000 is set for GRB
kanundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
over in subaru land, the discussions of lightweight crank pullies combined with lightweight flywheels are never ending and never definitive

i wonder what the consensus will be over on this side :/
Old 02-09-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
kanundrum

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 3,016 Times in 1,711 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
haha.
kanundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
Snaps
Supra Owner

Drives: 1995 Toyota Supra UK Spec
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post
over in subaru land, the discussions of lightweight crank pullies combined with lightweight flywheels are never ending and never definitive.
As there are quite a few people here that understand a decent amount of physics, I'd say the consensus should be clear - they ARE better, but the weight saving is not worth the money you spend for them (referring to LW pulleys. LW flywheels are a different story)...
Old 02-09-2012, 03:42 PM   #5
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

see, it has begun
Old 02-09-2012, 03:57 PM   #6
mines13

Drives: '13 FR-S '12 CBR1000RR
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mines13 Send a message via Yahoo to mines13
Rotating assemblies are expensive, why risk it on an over rev? I will never understand this light weight pulley crap, the rotational mass is focused toward the hub vs the radius of the pulley anyway. If you really want to drop rotational mass off of your crankshaft/rotating assembly install a light weight flywheel and leave the stock pulley alone. Only an ATi damper could be considered an upgrade.

I have also run an ATS carbon twin plate in a car before. It was pretty horrible, forget launching the car unless you put a ton of heat in it by slipping it first. Wait for OS Giken to release a super single. The most streetable basket clutches on the market by far.
mines13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:07 PM   #7
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Is it true that very lightweight flywheels are almost undriveable on the street? In that case, a lightweight pulley would be completely useless if you can shave off a tiny bit of mass from the flywheel.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:20 PM   #8
mines13

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
Is it true that very lightweight flywheels are almost undriveable on the street? In that case, a lightweight pulley would be completely useless if you can shave off a tiny bit of mass from the flywheel.
A light weight flywheel reduces inertia. This means that the engine will have less mass to overcome to accelerate (improve transient response) but will also lose revs faster between gears for the same reason. You may need to rev your engine a little higher and be faster/smoother when you shift to compensate for the faster drop in engine speed. I have done light weight flywheels on pretty much every car I have owned, and will continue to do so because the downsides, for me at least, do not out weight the advantages.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:27 PM   #9
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Drives: Swagtron Scooter
Thanked 1,561 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quote:
Yeah it does depend on the weight, for many cars there are several versions of lightweight flywheels with different weights. A full race lightened flywheel thats nearly 50-60% lighter than factory is completely unforgivable on the street.

lightweight pullies arnt useless.. you really have to look at the application. Some crank pullies for many cars are stupid heavy and can use some lightening.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #10
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
What I was getting at was that the overall moment of inertia of the engine comes from the pulleys, crank, and flywheel together. If the flywheel mass has a lower limit due to driveability, then there's not much of a point in switching pulleys because why subtract rotational inertia from 2 places (flywheel and pulley) when you can just subtract it from 1 (flywheel). The mass removed from the flywheel will have a much larger effect, and if you can just replace the flywheel to get the desired effect, there's no need to shave mass from the pulleys when you can just shave a little off the flywheel (I think machining flywheels a little is safe practice right?)
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:42 PM   #11
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Quote:
What I was getting at was that the overall moment of inertia of the engine comes from the pulleys, crank, and flywheel together. If the flywheel mass has a lower limit due to driveability, then there's not much of a point in switching pulleys because why subtract rotational inertia from 2 places (flywheel and pulley) when you can just subtract it from 1 (flywheel). The mass removed from the flywheel will have a much larger effect, and if you can just replace the flywheel to get the desired effect, there's no need to shave mass from the pulleys when you can just shave a little off the flywheel (I think machining flywheels a little is safe practice right?)
this is the general consensus at the subie forums..

however it really is a preference thing, clutch type also matters

rule #1, find someone with your car who has done a light flywheel and ask for a ride along.

a good friend of mine upgraded to some super heavy duty clutch and hated every moment since. Sure it may hold down his power during a launch, but what about the other 99.9% of the time driving on the roads
Old 02-09-2012, 05:09 PM   #12
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post
this is the general consensus at the subie forums..

however it really is a preference thing, clutch type also matters

rule #1, find someone with your car who has done a light flywheel and ask for a ride along.

a good friend of mine upgraded to some super heavy duty clutch and hated every moment since. Sure it may hold down his power during a launch, but what about the other 99.9% of the time driving on the roads

I find that with any mod on a DD. Do the pros of the mod outweight the cons for DDing
Old 02-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #13
mines13

Quote:
Yes, this would be a safer approach and provide a greater felt effect.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:32 PM   #14
Exage
GL 86!

Drives: Maybe FR-S... maybe not
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mines13 View Post
A light weight flywheel reduces inertia. This means that the engine will have less mass to overcome to accelerate (improve transient response) but will also lose revs faster between gears for the same reason. You may need to rev your engine a little higher and be faster/smoother when you shift to compensate for the faster drop in engine speed. I have done light weight flywheels on pretty much every car I have owned, and will continue to do so because the downsides, for me at least, do not out weight the advantages.

Tach can't keep pace if there is no load...

[u2b]AVktH3nS6D0[/u2b]

As much as I would like to have that flywheel, my driving simply takes me through to many altitude changes during daily driving for it to be worth while.
Exage is offline   Reply With Quote