follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 05-06-2015, 11:54 PM   #57
Gopherboy6956

Drives: 13 BRZ Limited WRB
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex_BRZ View Post
Just saw this thread and thought I'd double check things. I installed the Perrin crank pulley a couple weeks ago. In that time, I've driven it a little hard on the street, back and forth to work for 2 weeks, and even had a track day at Road America where I essentially put it through hell. Tonight, I figured I'd better check on this since it's the first I've heard of it. I didn't run into any apparent issues with it during install and thought nothing of it.

The pulley doesn't appear to be wobbling AT ALL. I looked at a straight edge on it in several different positions and watched as close as I could. No indication of it wobbling whatsoever. The bolt, however, I can't honestly tell if there is a slight wobble or not. It's sitting flush against the pulley, which the pulley itself isn't wobbling...so I'm guessing I don't have to worry about the bolt head and how it looks.

I have no leaks, it ran like a champ at very high rpm for 20min sessions at a time, and the pulley itself doesn't wobble.

Your thoughts?
You're fine. bolts can have off center or imperfections that makes them look wobbly when rotating.
Old 05-09-2015, 01:38 AM   #58
CoupedUpSubie

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambrzy View Post
Guys I'm massively stuck.. the crankshaft pulley spacer is jammed.. I've put it in wrong and I can't for the life of me remove it... no idea what to do.. anyone know how to remove the spacer itself???
As in it isn't seating all the way? If so then sticking your pulley(but don't put the bolt in) on it may allow you to wiggle it out. Mine has a fairly tight fit to the spacer.

If you can post a couple pictures showing your predicament that would help greatly.
1993 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
CoupedUpSubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 02:08 AM   #59
Gopherboy6956

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambrzy View Post
Guys I'm massively stuck.. the crankshaft pulley spacer is jammed.. I've put it in wrong and I can't for the life of me remove it... no idea what to do.. anyone know how to remove the spacer itself???
So, fun story. When i reinstalled my pulley the last time (when I originally posted in here) i was able to fully seat it, but it pretty much mashed it in, and when i tore down my engine last week i couldn't get it out either.

The quickest way to get it out also means you'll need a new spacer, which is about $35. take a vice grip, clamp it to the spacer, then clamp another on that and hit it with a hammer going out. It took some wicked force to get mine out.

You may have also damaged the WoodRuf Key, which is the little guy that the spacer lines up on. Thankfully, it's a $3 part. Not so great, is you have to pull the timing cover and sprocket off to replace it.

See Photos:

Old 05-09-2015, 02:27 AM   #60
Gopherboy6956

Yea - just be glad that woodruf key comes out. think how shitty i'd be if it was part of the crank, then you'd really be fucked.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:21 PM   #61
WhiteFRS69

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,432 Times in 756 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
i just want to bump this thread up and say a big thanks to previos people who posted,

i installed my Grimmspeed pulley yesterday and the piece behind it came out, thankfully i knew it wasnt suppose to and slid it right back in, nice and flush, no wobble that i can tell

but my tensenor is bouncing around a little to much for my taste (after 24 hours its starting to stop), im an idiot for not replacing the O'ring while i had it off, i even had a replacement ready to do, i guess i can quickly swap it out next time im in there

WhiteFRS69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:45 AM   #62
Gopherboy6956

Quote:
Originally Posted by gl2filmerguy View Post
Maybe someone can help me out. I had it come out as well, no big deal, but when I went to start my car after re-intsalling my stock pulley, my car made a bang, and wouldn't start back up. It wants to crank over, but doesn't. My crank bolt for some reason will come not loose, but isn't tight after trying to install it. Any help?
Sounds like an issue between the bolt and pulley and crankshaft. Could be bad. But without more Info it's hard to say...

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2015, 08:24 AM   #63
gl2filmerguy

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopherboy6956 View Post
Sounds like an issue between the bolt and pulley and crankshaft. Could be bad. But without more Info it's hard to say...

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
It's very odd, it wants to crank over, but it won't start.
gl2filmerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 02:44 PM   #64
Gopherboy6956

Quote:
Well, I found out my problem. Broke the key off of the crank, and also broke the timing gear in a spot. I have 3300 miles on my car too. So crazy that this happened. Such a freak accident...
Must not have been in all the way. The key just slides in and out, you can get replacement ones. But the timing gear is bad news.

Don't worry, I bent a rod at 11,000. Bought a whole other motor (used 8K) for $3300 to my door.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:06 PM   #65
Gopherboy6956

Quote:
I'm going to take it to the dealer. " I started it, and it made a band noise, and wouldn't start after that."
Thats all I know happened.

Good Luck Sir! Hopefully you can get it back together in a convincing manner, o have a cool service manager.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:09 AM   #66
gl2filmerguy

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Good Luck Sir! Hopefully you can get it back together in a convincing manner, o have a cool service manager.
It should look totally stock, nothing will show that I have messed with it, it will just be pretty messed up internally lol
gl2filmerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 05:33 PM   #67
Dr. BRZ

Drives: 2013 WR Blue Pearl BRZ Limited 6MT.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
okay guys i ran into a big problem, i over torqued the crank bolt, so when i turned on the car, the pulley was rotating just fine but it was spilling oil everywhere so i took off the pulley, now the crankshaft space will not rotate at all, and i tried to install the pulley again with the torque wrench, but now the bolt just moves and doesn't tighten. so right now im trying to find a way to remove the crankshaft spacer and so far no luck. i tried a 3 jaw puller but it doesnt fit because the crankshaft spacer is in there flush. any ideas?!
Dr. BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 05:54 PM   #68
Gopherboy6956

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. BRZ View Post
okay guys i ran into a big problem, i over torqued the crank bolt, so when i turned on the car, the pulley was rotating just fine but it was spilling oil everywhere so i took off the pulley, now the crankshaft space will not rotate at all, and i tried to install the pulley again with the torque wrench, but now the bolt just moves and doesn't tighten. so right now im trying to find a way to remove the crankshaft spacer and so far no luck. i tried a 3 jaw puller but it doesnt fit because the crankshaft spacer is in there flush. any ideas?!
You sure it was over torqued? You didn't mess with the oring at all?

If you need to get the spacer out try locking on to it with a vice grip and then hitting that away from the car. Youll need a new spacer for sure but thats what i had to do when i disassembeled the engine. If youve done damage beyond that, youve then damaged the actual crankshaft.

That, would suck.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-2016, 06:14 PM   #69
Dr. BRZ

Garage
i believe i did overtorque it because i heard the 2 clicks and i thought it went to 3 clicks so i kept turning it and i heard a snap. so i turned on the car and the pulley was fine but oil was spilling and here's the thing before i torqued it right, the pulley was wobbling but no oil was coming out. yes the o ring was in place.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:06 PM   #70
Dr. BRZ

Garage
Quote:
You sure it was over torqued? You didn't mess with the oring at all?

If you need to get the spacer out try locking on to it with a vice grip and then hitting that away from the car. Youll need a new spacer for sure but thats what i had to do when i disassembeled the engine. If youve done damage beyond that, youve then damaged the actual crankshaft.

That, would suck.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
i tried the vice grip but there isnt enough space for it to pull out. think I'm just gonna give up and go to the dealership.