follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 04-08-2018, 04:43 PM   #239
oemaudioplus

Drives: http://bit.ly/Vantage86
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by acro View Post
Is the OEM knob now part of the standard package or is it an extra @oemaudioplus ?
The Gain Control Knob is now standard with our NEW 500Q sound solution. This provides precision adjustability allowing listeners to go from BALANCE, FULL to ROBUST low frequency reproduction.
oemaudioplus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oemaudioplus For This Useful Post:
acro (04-09-2018), JakeRogue (04-08-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 11:18 AM   #240
PhyrraM

Drives: '17 BRZ PP, old Legacy SSs and SVXs
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oemaudioplus View Post
The Gain Control Knob is now standard with our NEW 500Q sound solution. This provides precision adjustability allowing listeners to go from BALANCE, FULL to ROBUST low frequency reproduction.
Possible to upgrade earlier systems?

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk
PhyrraM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 11:38 AM   #241
Twinz

Drives: 2016 FR-S MT, 2015 Scion FR-S AT,
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I thought about this, but suspect the "upgrade" will involve sending the amp in for a refresh *and* pulling a new backbone cable with all the plug-n-play connectors. (Including the connector for the knob).

-more than I care to fool with when the system is already awesome. (Maybe there is an easier way?)
Twinz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Twinz For This Useful Post:
oemaudioplus (04-10-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 01:05 PM   #242
PhyrraM

Drives: '17 BRZ PP, old Legacy SSs and SVXs
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinz View Post
I thought about this, but suspect the "upgrade" will involve sending the amp in for a refresh *and* pulling a new backbone cable with all the plug-n-play connectors. (Including the connector for the knob).

-more than I care to fool with when the system is already awesome. (Maybe there is an easier way?)
I assume the same. No reason not to ask though.
PhyrraM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PhyrraM For This Useful Post:
oemaudioplus (04-10-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 04:14 PM   #243
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oemaudioplus View Post

We actually offer a reverse hardware mounting option specifically for the owner who regularly needs Subwoofer removal (image below).

PM sent regarding this. Would be awesome not needing the allen key during track days

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 05:40 PM   #244
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Oh please, just leave it installed at the track, you aint that fast anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
PM sent regarding this. Would be awesome not needing the allen key during track days

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:15 PM   #245
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
Oh please, just leave it installed at the track, you aint that fast anyway.
I do leave it in haha. I need music to drive, even on track. Helps keep me level inatead of too amped up.

But i need to take it out and put it back to adjust my shocks so that means unmount/remount 2x for every track day

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 06:18 PM   #246
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
You listen to music while you drive on track?! You're a strange creature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
I do leave it in haha. I need music to drive, even on track. Helps keep me level inatead of too amped up.

But i need to take it out and put it back to adjust my shocks so that means unmount/remount 2x for every track day

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:50 PM   #247
JakeRogue

Drives: 2014 Monogram FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
New problem with my system. I thought I was hearing a slight buzzing sound from my front right speaker area. No matter what I did I couldn’t isolate it or be sure. I took a phone call via Bluetooth and that actually made the buzzing quite apparent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UPDATE: OEMAudio+ reached out to me in the post below and are working with me to address it. Amazed by their customer service as they're working with me to address some previous issues as well. I really can't say enough about their customer service. Connection issue resolved, no more buzzing!

Last edited by JakeRogue; 05-11-2018 at 02:12 PM. Reason: OEMAudio+ customer service came through
JakeRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:42 PM   #248
oemaudioplus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeRogue View Post
I thought I was hearing a slight buzzing sound from my front right speaker area.
Thanks for bringing this up. We suspect that it may be a factory connector rattling in response to the energy from your O+ 4" Mid Range Dash Speaker. Especially if its only happening on one side of the vehicle.

Might be as simple as just popping of the grill and moving the connector and/or applying some foam tape to the housing.

We will call you directly to assist in troubleshooting.
The Following User Says Thank You to oemaudioplus For This Useful Post:
JakeRogue (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 04:44 PM   #249
oemaudioplus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyrraM View Post
Possible to upgrade earlier systems?
Nothing is impossible. The KEY is we would want to ensure that the upgrade pathway was clean and fell in line with our plug-and-play integration guidelines (an intuitive installation).

Allow us to do our due diligence (drawing board and what-not) and provide an update on this question ASAP!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oemaudioplus For This Useful Post:
Nails (04-17-2018), Pointmutation (08-04-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 07:15 PM   #250
Brady961

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I've had my Reference 500Q system in for about two weeks now. After all the great information that I got from this thread, I want to add my input on this system.

I'll echo what others have said about outstanding customer service. My initial shipment was missing a few parts. One conversation with OEM was all it took to get what I needed the next day. As I was advising them what was missing, we went through the rest of the shipment and made sure I had everything I needed.

My system has the bass adjustment knob that has been mentioned here, so they also went over how that was to be installed and also gave me a few additional tips not mentioned on the videos. The guys on the phone definitely know the product.

The install took me longer than I anticipated. Door and dash speakers went in like a dream. My issues were the sub enclosure and getting the wiring through the firewall. As others have said, getting the holes to line up on the enclosure is a challenge. My car has LED DRLs that used the firewall pass through, so I found it already pretty full of wires. Not wanting to make another hole, I worked pretty hard to get the OEM wiring through there. I finally got it by using heavy string trimmer cord as a fish tape. Other than those two things, it pretty much goes exactly as shown on the videos.

I had read this entire thread and anything else I could find on this product. Spending this much money on something that I couldn't see or hear beforehand was a little unsettling. In the end, I am extremely happy with the finished product. The sound, as you might expect, is completely different from the stock system. The clarity improvement is phenomenal, with the highs being crisp and distinct. Obviously, there is a huge improvement on the low side as well. It does a great job as well of overcoming road noise. The new bass adjustment knob seems like a winner. It allows me to add or remove bass as needed in a very easy manner. My only complaint with the knob is that it has a bright blue light on it. I mounted it at the bottom of the dash, above the pedals , but I still find the light annoying. I'll be finding a way to cover or dim it.

Add me to the long list on here that are very pleased with this upgrade!
Brady961 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brady961 For This Useful Post:
JakeRogue (04-19-2018), oemaudioplus (05-10-2018), PhyrraM (04-19-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 02:26 PM   #251
JakeRogue

Drives: 2014 Monogram FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I wanted to post my final review for the OEMAudio+ Reference 500 Q System. The product is outstanding and the customer service from OEMAudio+ is outstanding. I've never been so impressed with a purchasing experience. This new system has a Bass Controller Knob to adjust bass (replacing the old system of tuning the amp to Balanced, Full, Robust). Bright blue light on the bass controller was a little much for me, but nothing a little tape couldn't cover and solve very quickly and easily. I had some buzzing from a speaker and my iPod functionality went a way, but that was solved by making sure the connections were secure (blame the installer, not the product).

The sound system is incredible to listen to but I had a lot of buzzing from the rear deck because of how powerful the sound system is. Some people have installed sound deadening material (like Dynamat) based on what I've read online but by no means is this a detractor from the system, just something that you should all be aware of.

As an autocrosser I did I have to remove the sub enclosure, but I'd also have to remove the bolts securing the amp to the back of the sub in order to unplug all the connectors before a race. Not a big deal, but some older models seem to not require that extra step. Still it comes out in a few minutes if you know what you're doing.

The speed clips might pop out when you remove the subwoofer, so a little bit of masking tape was needed to keep those secure during an autocross. However your mileage may vary with this last point because my installer made a faux pas when installing the subwoofer enclosure and drilled one of the mount points (causing the speed clip to always be loose). They couldn't get the sub to mount when doing the initial installation and instead of consulting me, bored out the rear mount point in order to force it to fit. I contacted OEMAudio+ and we arranged to ship my subwoofer back and they sent me a mold that had been test fitted, problem solved. Unfortunately, the boring out of the rear mount point has caused continued fitment issues that are NOT the fault of OEMAudio+. It's too bad that the professional shop I went to didn't consult me, as it's clear to me that OEMAudio+ is very good about handling these issues and this could've been avoided.

Alas due to continued mounting issues (not with the sub, tested it in my buddy's car, no problem anymore), I've decided I will not be keeping the system. I'm still working on resolving this issue with the audio shop that did my installation as they really f***ed up in my humble opinion.

Would 100% buy again and when I did listen to the system in my car, it was amazing. OEMAudio+ is absolutely incredible
JakeRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:37 PM   #252
Tokay444
Anti stance.

Drives: 17 White 860. RCE Tarmac 2. RE-71RS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
How much does the entire system weigh and how much of the total weight is sub woofer?
Tokay444 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amp, audio, music, radio, subwoofer