follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 11-01-2014, 03:02 AM   #29
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boofneenee View Post
you are right.. many of you are right. This is why I am holding off for a few years. Ill wait for the dust to settle in regards to whats out there and this cars ability to be boosted safely. I will continue on reading and educating myself. i will join the cars and coffee and mean some peeps that can maybe show me a thing or two. One of you mentioned that maybe I should consider new suspension and brakes. I think the stock brakes are fine (although reducing unsprung weight helps with speed) but I am intrigued by suspension.

I guess I am at a point now where I dont know what else to mod for performance. I could care less about looks. Tires should also improve the fun
Suspension is a great way to get started with the nitty gritty stuff in a car. As long as you dont buy the cheap chinese stuff, have at it if you go down this path, coilovers look nice like the whole package, but dont neglect damper/spring/camber plate combos.

Use the extra few years to learn up on some of the car lingo, youll become a pseudo mechanic lol
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cdrazic93 For This Useful Post:
Boofneenee (11-01-2014)
Old 11-01-2014, 08:58 AM   #30
charged86

Drives: whiteout gt86 2015 IS350fsport
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
you are right.. many of you are right. This is why I am holding off for a few years. Ill wait for the dust to settle in regards to whats out there and this cars ability to be boosted safely. I will continue on reading and educating myself. i will join the cars and coffee and mean some peeps that can maybe show me a thing or two. One of you mentioned that maybe I should consider new suspension and brakes. I think the stock brakes are fine (although reducing unsprung weight helps with speed) but I am intrigued by suspension.

I guess I am at a point now where I dont know what else to mod for performance. I could care less about looks. Tires should also improve the fun
you would be ok with a supercharger kit and a email tune or dyno tune. no more than 10psi
Boofneenee (11-01-2014)
Old 11-01-2014, 09:16 AM   #31
Boofneenee
Go-Kart Enthusiast

Drives: Toyota Scion FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
this thread is like a roller coaster of emotion. You cant! you can.. grrrr..

Yea, while a turbo inspires I am leaning towards a SC. Just hate to give up the OFT for ECUtek because I am so comfortable with it and understand it so well. Who knows,, down the road when I am ready to pull the trigger their may be more solutions.

thanks though
Old 11-01-2014, 09:35 AM   #32
Model Citizen
Lacking brains

Drives: frz
how do you drive?

driving style will impact the longevity of your car, especially if boosted.

if you're the kind of person that mostly just dailys and occasionally like to feel the power you will chances are see less issues than the person that floors it everywhere all the time because race car.

Judging by your use of complete sentences and words i'm leaning toward the first category.
Model Citizen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Model Citizen For This Useful Post:
Boofneenee (11-01-2014)
Old 11-01-2014, 10:06 AM   #33
Squishy

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Best advice I can give noting this important piece of information "Over time I expect to burn through more money but I hope not to."

You should stop while you are ahead. The road never ends on spending so if this will affect your choice then know that any FI does not end with just the kit.

The kit will make many things about the car evident in how they are insufficient. Even with a S/C I have found that the clutch is at the edge and does slip now. You will find the brakes must be improved, you will have to improve the cooling for the oil if you even think about anything aside from street driving. You will burn through tires more as you have more fun with the power.

If you are so easily worried then know that you will likely end up saving yourself lots of money and time by just stopping where you are and learn to be satisfied with the car as the package it is.

The grass is always greener on the other side until you get there and see the cons of more power. More parts break. Will it tempt you more and get more tickets on the street? If you keep it off the street then you will see you will spend more money on the track. This never changes in our passion of going fast. Being fast is a whole different thing and $$$ as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Squishy For This Useful Post:
Boofneenee (11-01-2014), Dream20b (11-01-2014)
Old 11-01-2014, 11:39 AM   #34
Boofneenee
Go-Kart Enthusiast

Drives: Toyota Scion FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Model Citizen View Post
how do you drive?

driving style will impact the longevity of your car, especially if boosted.

if you're the kind of person that mostly just dailys and occasionally like to feel the power you will chances are see less issues than the person that floors it everywhere all the time because race car.

Judging by your use of complete sentences and words i'm leaning toward the first category.
While I opened this thread requested information to benefit my decision making I am trying for it now to be "all about me". I appreciate this post and perhaps others will as well. I do drive like a baby. Never tracked it and never will. I red line maybe.. just maybe once a day because hell, that's where the power is and that's how it was supposed to be driven. With FI I will continue to baby the car. I believe you are right that how you drive it has very much to do with any problems that will surface and longevity of the car.

Regardless of all the caution signs here I am still very much intrigued with the process of going FI. I love projects but I am terrified of problems that will arise.

I still have some conflicting recommendations on oil coolers and catch cans. From my understanding, they are necessary if a person is to fall under the 2nd category as you describe above. I guess my temperature gauge, once FI, will be an indicator as to the need for an oil cooler.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:27 PM   #35
charged86

Drives: whiteout gt86 2015 IS350fsport
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:

Yea, while a turbo inspires I am leaning towards a SC. Just hate to give up the OFT for ECUtek because I am so comfortable with it and understand it so well. Who knows,, down the road when I am ready to pull the trigger their may be more solutions.

thanks though
you and you buddies could definately pull off a innovate system and email tune. Id do that.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:42 PM   #36
Model Citizen
Lacking brains

Quote:
While I opened this thread requested information to benefit my decision making I am trying for it now to be "all about me". I appreciate this post and perhaps others will as well. I do drive like a baby. Never tracked it and never will. I red line maybe.. just maybe once a day because hell, that's where the power is and that's how it was supposed to be driven. With FI I will continue to baby the car. I believe you are right that how you drive it has very much to do with any problems that will surface and longevity of the car.

Regardless of all the caution signs here I am still very much intrigued with the process of going FI. I love projects but I am terrified of problems that will arise.

I still have some conflicting recommendations on oil coolers and catch cans. From my understanding, they are necessary if a person is to fall under the 2nd category as you describe above. I guess my temperature gauge, once FI, will be an indicator as to the need for an oil cooler.
We're in new england, as such we benefit from not having much more than a handful of "hot" days to deal with.

My catch can is a vta one made from a can of nair, zip tie mounted to a bookend under the battery. I have maybe $20 invested in it. Prior to that i had made a recirculating one of pvc. However it did not handle hot day autox well and cavitated. You should have a catch can. You do not have to spend $300+ on one.

My oil cooler is an 08+ sti sandwich plate (tab needs to be cut off base) that i got cheap on ebay and gave about a week of ultrasonic cleaning. Its fed through a couple custom t fittings in my radiator hoses (i bought new perrin ones to cut up). Before the hose cost i was around $100 deep.

I like the oe sandwich plate design for a new england non race use oil cooler.

Daily driving it warms the oil faster and provides a noticable difference to recovery times. its also perfect for autox with my oil temps typically hitting 235-40 during a run and quickly recovering to the 212 range in paddock. It is a bit weak for track use, but makes enough of a difference that i have no issue keeping it on the car long as it is only 20-30 minute sessions being run. In heavy use running the heat on full with vents out the window does make a noticable difference with temperatures seen.

The other advantage to the oe type oil cooling is that oil stays in the plate. Hoses are only uses for coolant. I'll take spraying coolant over spraying oil any day of the week. Ive seen firsthand 3 air oilcoolers leak (fitting tightness or hose off) on these cars alone since the spring.

I'm still on my stock clutch.

On legal roads i drive slow and sane unless the power is needed for getting out of the way (merging, etc). On a course i drive as hard as i am capable of doing for the given conditions.

Anyway point is the ancilary items to going fi don't necessarily have to cost an arm and a leg. Personally i think a $400 dual catch can set up is silly for anything other than astetics, and a $600 oil cooler in new england is complete overkill on a street car let alone the extra points of failure an air-oil cooler introduces.
The Following User Says Thank You to Model Citizen For This Useful Post:
Boofneenee (11-07-2014)
Old 11-01-2014, 02:17 PM   #37
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:

thanks though
If you get the Jackson Racing Supercharger with their tune, then you just put it on and you're ready to go. It has minimal maintenance, and the lack of issues in the owner's thread pretty much says it all.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Border7 (11-07-2014), raven1231 (11-01-2014)
Old 11-01-2014, 10:39 PM   #38
bakerr6

Drives: 2013 raven black fr-s
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by charged86 View Post
i saw the words limited mechanical knowledge and budget. Two things that don't belong in a NA to Boosted car project.
I want to add boost. Can someone tell me how to turn this damn thing on?
bakerr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bakerr6 For This Useful Post:
charged86 (11-02-2014)
Old 11-07-2014, 03:16 PM   #39
Model Citizen
Lacking brains

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerr6 View Post
I want to add boost. Can someone tell me how to turn this damn thing on?
Turn it to 11
Old 11-07-2014, 04:55 PM   #40
nos145
Cognite

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
ptuning or wait for the new french turbo to hit the forum

get all the goodies that ptuning will recommend.

Save up for another year and you will be in 10k range. this puts you into safe/prof install/ full system range
nos145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 05:14 PM   #41
rb6freak

Drives: 23 BRZ
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by woode View Post

Half the fun for most of us is working on the car, planning it out, driving it, breaking it, fixing it, etc..
Well spoken words. As much as I hate it when things break (which they do when you track your car), I do enjoy working on my car and making it better each time.

Quote:
With FI I will continue to baby the car.
You might think that, but once you feel that boost in a twin, it is game over. I average 185 street miles on a full tank, and that is trying to be conservative.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:37 PM   #42
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
IMO If you want more power, but it stays strictly street, get a different car. Find a nice CPO with a V6 or factory turbo. For the street this car is plenty fast for "normal" driving with proper bolt-ons and a tune.
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote