follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 12-29-2012, 02:55 PM   #15
Maik L

Drives: Gt86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
my brakes squeak also. they squeak even when I drove 100 km. That can not be rust.
odo 1600 km
Old 12-29-2012, 03:31 PM   #16
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maik L View Post
my brakes squeak also. they squeak even when I drove 100 km. That can not be rust.
odo 1600 km
That would appear to be completely different from everyone else in this thread; likely a different problem.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:35 PM   #17
PMok
Codename: Stitch

Drives: 91 MR2; 06 IS350; 16 BRZ; 18 CX-5
Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,307 Posts
Mentioned: 462 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fistpoint View Post
The only time brakes should squeak is when they are grinding the rotor from the pads being worn down to nothing, or aftermarket cheap pads were used.

That has been my experience over 5 cars, 20+ years, and hundreds of thousands of miles and numerous brake jobs.
Or if you have race pads installed. Theyre aftermarket but they were not cheap. But they squeak and squeal like a hoopty, at all temps. Function above all else I guess.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:22 AM   #18
Timtamtt

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
The tabs(squelers) are touching the rotor or surface rust. Mine does that when ever my car is parked outside for a couple hours. I was worried at first but then when I looked its got tiny bits of surface rust. I also live in Washington state and its really wet out during the winter so no escaping it since I daily mine
Timtamtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:18 AM   #19
Maik L

Drives: Gt86
Today, after three weeks of snow, rain and wet roads, the first dry day. No more squealing brakes. Seems to be dependent on the weather.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:00 AM   #20
Xinshadow

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Ultramarine
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Today, after three weeks of snow, rain and wet roads, the first dry day. No more squealing brakes. Seems to be dependent on the weather.
Sorry to resurrect such an old thread fellas, but I didn't want to make a new post. My FRS is has about 14k miles on the odo, and this winter I've noticed that the brakes squeal at the top of the pedal application for about 30 minutes after I set off. After that time or if I push the brake all the way to the floor there's no squeak. Temps here have been right around -10 with windchill and this is something that did not happen last winter (but it's much colder on average this winter), so you guys think it's the weather? I'm currently on the stock setup, though I do have a set of Ferodo pads and slotted rotors I swap to when it's track season. Just thought I'd add some more info and see if anyone else has seen the same thing.
Current mods: OFT Stage 2 (w/93 oct), OFH, Perrin Resonated catback, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft, Perrin drop-in filter, Avo silicone inlet, Mishimoto catch can, Grimmspeed MCB, Perrin crank pulley, Nameless overpipe/downpipe combo, DBA slotted rotors, Ferrodo brake pads, goodrich SS brake lines, DOT5 synthetic brake fluid.
Xinshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:23 AM   #21
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinshadow View Post
Sorry to resurrect such an old thread fellas, but I didn't want to make a new post. My FRS is has about 14k miles on the odo, and this winter I've noticed that the brakes squeal at the top of the pedal application for about 30 minutes after I set off. After that time or if I push the brake all the way to the floor there's no squeak. Temps here have been right around -10 with windchill and this is something that did not happen last winter (but it's much colder on average this winter), so you guys think it's the weather? I'm currently on the stock setup, though I do have a set of Ferodo pads and slotted rotors I swap to when it's track season. Just thought I'd add some more info and see if anyone else has seen the same thing.
sounds weather related. Before I got my new pads, my car with stock pads and rotors never made a peep @ 21,000 miles. Granted I am in SoCal.
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:21 AM   #22
nos145
Cognite

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
i have the squeeling as well. only comes from back right thou. started happening after dealer swapped in winter tires. It IS weather dependant, but it is also extremely annoying.
It's loud and sometimes lasts for half a day. HNNNNNNGGG
nos145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:44 PM   #23
sero901

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
odo 1600 km
My brakes squeak every time i touch the pedal since day one. Go from one red light to the other, squeek. It drives me nuts. When i had high performance brakes on my old STi they would do the same thing.
sero901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:18 PM   #24
GotMunchies?

Drives: '14 WRB BRZ 6MT Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinshadow View Post
Did you put grease on the backing plates of the pads upon reinstallation? Often times break squeal is a chatter effect of the pad gripping on the rotor and vibrating against the cradle of the caliper. Grease applied on the back plate of the pad can eliminate that. Of course, if its cold enough that grease may not be functioning until enough friction from the brakes heats it up enough.

Food for thought.
GotMunchies? is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GotMunchies? For This Useful Post:
Xinshadow (02-21-2014)
Old 06-26-2015, 02:46 PM   #25
Gyzm0

Drives: 2013 Toyota GT86
Sorry to reopen this topic after awhile, but I got some juicy info.

In my case the brakes would squeak all day long, no amount of braking would make it stop, so I didn't think it could be rust.
Since I bought a used one with 30k Kms I took it to the dealer expecting to have to replace brake pads, but still a little hopefull that they would only be glazed and maybe sandpaper could solve it.

To my surprise the dealer stated that it was a common complaint and it has to do with brake pad coumpound for early models so I got new brake pads (with "right" coumpound) replaced under warranty.

So next time you hear your brakes squeak, keep this in mind.
Gyzm0 is offline   Reply With Quote