follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Great Lakes

Great Lakes IL, IN, MI, MN, OH, WI

User Tag List

Old 11-20-2014, 08:45 AM   #1849
Dream20b
Y u do dis?

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Not the best may be an understatement.

Clearly you have no clue what you are talking about. Everything you said was completely and utterly the ramblings of a babbling idiot regurgitating garbage from his mouth. Everyone here is now dumber from reading your post. Please die now.
Dream20b is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dream20b For This Useful Post:
FT_86_SM_GP (11-20-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 10:00 AM   #1850
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT_86_SM_GP View Post
Hey guys

Been in Chicago for two weeks now (downtown), scheduled to work here for the next 6 months.

I'm from South Africa , and left my 86 behind there....really miss it everyday :-(

In South Africa we use our cars everyday all the time due to our public transportation systems in development. So walking, using cabs and trains is foreign to me , it's been quite cool and challenging walking to work at freezing temps...

Iv seen a few FRS's and BRZ's around downtown, but I must say the roads in downtown and the loop are NOT the best, and I would be worried driving my 86 here

Iv been on tours around the city and love Chicago, I noticed there's allot of activities involving art, music , food etc ... Things that don't really interest me

I have been researching Motorsport activity and could not find much....

Any guidance on the Motorsport industry in Chicago ? Hiring cars and going on tracks ? Gymkhanas ? Autocross ?

Note I have a Kia for a rental , so Il need to hire another car for a Motorsport event

Thanks
There are a few tracks around, and plenty of autocross events (once spring comes back around). haha No need to rent a car either, just drive the Kia in autocross!
FT_86_SM_GP (11-20-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 03:12 PM   #1851
FT_86_SM_GP

Drives: Lawn moweR
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Bait88 View Post
There are a few tracks around, and plenty of autocross events (once spring comes back around). haha No need to rent a car either, just drive the Kia in autocross!
Cool! Let me know when you guys are going for the next event, will def join
FT_86_SM_GP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FT_86_SM_GP For This Useful Post:
Shark_Bait88 (11-20-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 03:34 PM   #1852
sickmint79

Drives: bmw
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Hey guys

Been in Chicago for two weeks now (downtown), scheduled to work here for the next 6 months.

I'm from South Africa , and left my 86 behind there....really miss it everyday :-(

In South Africa we use our cars everyday all the time due to our public transportation systems in development. So walking, using cabs and trains is foreign to me , it's been quite cool and challenging walking to work at freezing temps...

Iv seen a few FRS's and BRZ's around downtown, but I must say the roads in downtown and the loop are NOT the best, and I would be worried driving my 86 here

Iv been on tours around the city and love Chicago, I noticed there's allot of activities involving art, music , food etc ... Things that don't really interest me

I have been researching Motorsport activity and could not find much....

Any guidance on the Motorsport industry in Chicago ? Hiring cars and going on tracks ? Gymkhanas ? Autocross ?

Note I have a Kia for a rental , so Il need to hire another car for a Motorsport event

Thanks
what are you doing over here for work?

we have lots of near tracks - road america north, blackhawk farms west, autobahn country club south - all quick drives from chicago. not much further (and a very accessible track) is gingerman ne up in michigan. during the summer there's almost always at least 1 autocross on each saturday and sunday. that being said, you'll probably just hit a few at the start of the season in may, particularly if we have a bad winter again.

indoors there are electric karts at k1 in buffalo grove and addison. melrose park uses natural gas (??) but i've sworn off them after too many broken karts.

there will be some ice autocrosses in wisconsin on frozen lakes.

where in south africa are you from? i will be there in february. spending a few days in cape town and then a few on a 'sucker tourist paying to volunteer program' at a wildlife/big kitty theme park/sanctuary thing in joburg.
sickmint79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 04:09 PM   #1853
Shark_Bait88

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickmint79 View Post
Umm... this sounds awesome.

Also, dangerous. haha
Old 11-20-2014, 05:21 PM   #1854
FT_86_SM_GP

Quote:
what are you doing over here for work?

we have lots of near tracks - road america north, blackhawk farms west, autobahn country club south - all quick drives from chicago. not much further (and a very accessible track) is gingerman ne up in michigan. during the summer there's almost always at least 1 autocross on each saturday and sunday. that being said, you'll probably just hit a few at the start of the season in may, particularly if we have a bad winter again.

indoors there are electric karts at k1 in buffalo grove and addison. melrose park uses natural gas (??) but i've sworn off them after too many broken karts.

where in south africa are you from? i will be there in february. spending a few days in cape town and then a few on a 'sucker tourist paying to volunteer program' at a wildlife/big kitty theme park/sanctuary thing in joburg.
Cool man! Looking forward to the frozen lakes, sounds insane!

I am here on an inter-company transfer from one of the big four auditing firms.

I am leaving at the end of April 2015, so I might miss the Summer in Chicago, but planning to travel to the West coast (San Fran, LA and Vegas) for a few weeks in May, so will hopefully get to experience some American Autocross's there....

Im formally from Durban (Coast) in South Africa, but have been living in JHB for 3 years (For work purposes).

South Africa is really an amazing, fresh, colorful country, ....things that you will experience:

1) Great fine dining / fresh food at low prices -(Cost of living in South Africa is awesome)

(A meal at the best restaurants in South Africa would cost you around $15 to $20 (with a drink). In the US(Chicago), a small portion of take-out costs me +$15)

2) Activities, such as the ones at the Lion park is quite cool, safari drives...get the full experience (Reasonable price). The bush is awesome. You have chosen wise!

3) Rich cultural history and diversity - People have a different way of life, much more chilled, relaxed, and appreciative of what they have.

4) Women are good looking - Proof - Candice Swanepoel (Victoria Secret Model)
http://www.candiceswanepoel.com/

5) Parking at City hubs costs you around $1 to $2 for the day in South Africa....Parking in the US costs around $15 to $20 in Chicago Loop
Lol

Things to be aware off:

1) Capetown is a tourist hotspot - becareful of being charged/billed at exorbitant/inflated tourist prices
(Maybe change your currency to the South African Rand)

2) South Africa has one of the highest crime rates in the world - Eg. I would not suggest walking from a club to your hotel at 3am or Visiting dodgy clubs/Areas at night. Use cabs such as Uber, much safer. People in SA hardly walk. The only time I walk in South Africa is from my 86 (FRS) parking bay to my apartment.

You should be fine walking in Capetown, and in JHB ... as long as you try to be in the Sandton Area and you will have a great time!

SunCity is also an awesome trip, its a 2 to 3 hour drive from JHB.

Heres some pics and some moments captured with our 86's
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45341

Enjoy your trip
Attached Images

Shark_Bait88 (11-20-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 05:24 PM   #1855
sickmint79

i had a stock height sti and it was a pain to drive on/off the lake. plus you hear it cracking all the time so you're like FUUUUUUUUUUUU but they don't go out unless it's thick, i dunno at what point they note it is ok but they use the us army corps of engineers guidebook and they have at what level inch thickness ice you can drive a tank, land a plane, etc.

an older and not very exciting video, i only did one as well

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_zaCS3gKfY"]STi ice racing with WAG heat2 - YouTube[/ame]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sickmint79 For This Useful Post:
FT_86_SM_GP (11-20-2014), Shark_Bait88 (11-20-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 05:25 PM   #1856
Pkush

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
FRS/BRZ owners around the Chicago Land Area

I haven't read the whole thing you wrote man but if you don't mind me asking, which of the four? I just accepted a position with EY and turned down a Deloitte offer. Still not sure whether I made the right decision since they both seem pretty damn good
Old 11-20-2014, 05:29 PM   #1857
FT_86_SM_GP

Some pics that one of our long time (platinum member) @FishEagle Proudly South African guys posted a while back...
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2014, 05:30 PM   #1858
Shark_Bait88

Quote:
i had a stock height sti and it was a pain to drive on/off the lake. plus you hear it cracking all the time so you're like FUUUUUUUUUUUU but they don't go out unless it's thick, i dunno at what point they note it is ok but they use the us army corps of engineers guidebook and they have at what level inch thickness ice you can drive a tank, land a plane, etc.

an older and not very exciting video, i only did one as well

It sounds like a lot of fun, but also kinda scary. I imagine an FR-S would spend most of the time sideways (as it already does that in most normal autocross). lol

I'd love to go do one in something like this:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2zGYu-l7t0"]Ice Driving in 911 Rally Cars - /CHRIS HARRIS ON CARS - YouTube[/ame]
Old 11-20-2014, 05:32 PM   #1859
FT_86_SM_GP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkush View Post
I haven't read the whole write you did man but if you don't mind me asking, which of the four? I just accepted a position with EY and turned down a Deloitte offer. Still not sure whether I made the right decision since they both seem pretty damn goos
Im not at EY, KPMG or Deloitte...so I am at the red firm

I have allot of mates in EY at the moment(In the States), and across all four firms, EY is expanding the most now, huge opportunities ahead! Great Choice
Pkush (11-20-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 05:38 PM   #1860
sickmint79

Quote:
Cool man! Looking forward to the frozen lakes, sounds insane!

I am here on an inter-company transfer from one of the big four auditing firms.

I am leaving at the end of April 2015, so I might miss the Summer in Chicago, but planning to travel to the West coast (San Fran, LA and Vegas) for a few weeks in May, so will hopefully get to experience some American Autocross's there....

Im formally from Durban (Coast) in South Africa, but have been living in JHB for 3 years (For work purposes).

South Africa is really an amazing, fresh, colorful country, ....things that you will experience:

1) Great fine dining / fresh food at low prices -(Cost of living in South Africa is awesome)

(A meal at the best restaurants in South Africa would cost you around $15 to $20 (with a drink). In the US(Chicago), a small portion of take-out costs me +$15)

2) Activities, such as the ones at the Lion park is quite cool, safari drives...get the full experience (Reasonable price). The bush is awesome. You have chosen wise!

3) Rich cultural history and diversity - People have a different way of life, much more chilled, relaxed, and appreciative of what they have.

4) Women are good looking - Proof - Candice Swanepoel (Victoria Secret Model)
http://www.candiceswanepoel.com/

5) Parking at City hubs costs you around $1 to $2 for the day in South Africa....Parking in the US costs around $15 to $20 in Chicago Loop
Lol

Things to be aware off:

1) Capetown is a tourist hotspot - becareful of being charged/billed at exorbitant/inflated tourist prices
(Maybe change your currency to the South African Rand)

2) South Africa has one of the highest crime rates in the world - Eg. I would not suggest walking from a club to your hotel at 3am or Visiting dodgy clubs/Areas at night. Use cabs such as Uber, much safer. People in SA hardly walk. The only time I walk in South Africa is from my 86 (FRS) parking bay to my apartment.

You should be fine walking in Capetown, and in JHB ... as long as you try to be in the Sandton Area and you will have a great time!

SunCity is also an awesome trip, its a 2 to 3 hour drive from JHB.

Heres some pics and some moments captured with our 86's
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45341

Enjoy your trip
you can do track days with rentals but probably a crunky rental and if you get caught yer boned... saw a guy in a zipcar a3 at an audi day.

autobahn i think will let you use cars there but not sure if that is special programs or on open days... they have fleet cars... i'd expect the day to cost 1000.

there are driving programs including the 1 or 2 day M school in SC, pricey but should be amazing, you get to keep the helmet so you can tell yourself at least you've got that.. plus they pay for food/local transport/hotel... well you do, in your fat price... mixed on paying for this. it is poopy ton expensive, but i'm sure it's amazingly fun.

i recently did exotics racing in vegas, it's pricey on a per lap basis no matter what. did it to entertain some customers, good for a one time experience but the reality of seat time vs. cost is rough - but it is still doable and can put your ass in some fast machines.

http://www.igobyplane.com/2014/11/18...otor-speedway/

i will be working at this lion park for 2 weeks - http://www.lion-park.com/

there is a new (separate) program now, i already want to sign up for it later... it is working with servals and wild cats and cheetahs. it appears near durban. if it was available i probably would have signed up for it before... but hey maybe 2016 when it's cold up here i'll peace out again to down there. maybe candice will visit.

since i will be in JHB maybe you will want to let me drive your car so that it does not sit around and just fall apart.
Old 11-23-2014, 02:26 PM   #1861
spdfreak

Drives: GBS BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
melrose park uses natural gas (??) but i've sworn off them after too many broken karts.
That place closed. Which SUCKS since the full track was huge and those karts were pretty quick.
K1 is so boring in comparison. With the double track setup there's no room to pass and they know it. It's why they have the pull over/let them pass you flag. Lame.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:59 PM   #1862
sickmint79

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdfreak View Post
That place closed. Which SUCKS since the full track was huge and those karts were pretty quick.
K1 is so boring in comparison. With the double track setup there's no room to pass and they know it. It's why they have the pull over/let them pass you flag. Lame.
seems most places have that flag although k1 sure uses it more often. i think melrose sucked. the karts were way too inconsistent. it wasn't like slow kart is 1 second off, it was more like this kart is fucked, this kart is ok, this kart is fucked in a different way, etc. i probably did 15 races there and had fucked up karts minimum 5 times.