follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 01-18-2014, 04:49 AM   #43
N1rve

Drives: 2019 BMW ///M4
Thanked 1,167 Times in 714 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Stall View Post
And the warranty itself (I know this is a bit of a bump, but I've been away).
The "Original Equipment Passenger & Light Truck Tire Owner’s Manual & Limited Warranty" booklet (http://www.michelin.ca/en_CA/assets/...l_Aug_2011.pdf) includes "Misapplication, improper maintenance, racing, underinflation, overinflation or other abuse" as one of the bullet points under "What is not covered".
Here's a quote from another forum regarding Michelin.

Quote:
Michelin is really good. I've come across situations where it is 100% the customer's fault that the tire wore out too soon. (Front tires completely bald and rear tires have tons of tread when all were bought at once. Obvious lack of rotation. Or even when the inside shoulder is worn to the belts, and the rest of the tire has tread, obvious bad alignment), and Michelin still gave the customer 25% back just on "good faith".

As a tire sales rep, I have to say, Michelin is the BEST company when it comes to doing what's right for the customer. If you didn't trash your tires by neglect, you'll easily get your proper fully prorated warranty. Even if you did ruin your tires yourself, you're still likely to get 25%.

Just make sure the place you go to, if they deem that you voided your warranty through neglect or abuse, demand that they call Michelin sales reps and ask for an RGI code for a warranty.
http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=483094
N1rve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:40 PM   #44
Sellout
Mr. Cranky Pants

Drives: 2013 Argento FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I've always wondered why so many people ONLY buy Michelin, but I never cared enough to actually go and find out...

This is the kind of thing that can make someone like me a lifetime customer. Now I just need a Michelin tire that is comparable to Dunlop ZIIs
Sellout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:57 PM   #45
Carlitoz3

Drives: 2013 MT Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.liang View Post
I work at a sears auto center and can confirm this method. but to make it easier for us, please write down all four DOT numbers and production dates. Also, Michelin will not warranty the tire unless you are 2/32. lastly, please try to be nice to your sales guy, we don't look forward to spending 30 minutes on the phone with Michelin but i'm personally not gonna turn away any sale, ever lol.
Is this info on the tires?
How will I know when I'm at 2/32?

Thanks.
Carlitoz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:15 PM   #46
husker741
Banned

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FR-S 6MT
Thanked 4,183 Times in 1,415 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I want to do this like everyone else.. But is it a Scumbag Steve procedure if done?
husker741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:17 PM   #47
Sellout
Mr. Cranky Pants

Drives: 2013 Argento FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlitoz3 View Post
Is this info on the tires?
How will I know when I'm at 2/32?

Thanks.

This is from Tire Rack:

Quote:
According to most states' laws, tires are legally worn out when they have worn down to 2/32" of remaining tread depth. To help warn drivers that their tires have reached that point, tires sold in North America are required to have indicators molded into their tread design called "wear bars" which run across their tread pattern from their outside shoulder to inside shoulder. Wear bars are designed to visually connect the elements of the tire's tread pattern and warn drivers when their tires no longer meet minimum tread depth requirements.
Here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=51
Sellout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sellout For This Useful Post:
Carlitoz3 (01-18-2014)
Old 01-18-2014, 04:13 PM   #48
Captain Stall
OK, here we g...oh, wait

Drives: '13 Hot Lava 6M
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker741 View Post
I want to do this like everyone else.. But is it a Scumbag Steve procedure if done?
If you do burnouts to wear out the tread so that you can get Michelin to give you a deal on new tires, then I would say yes.

You'd probably come out further ahead if you just sold the Primacy HPs (though I haven't looked into it).
Old 01-18-2014, 05:26 PM   #49
jshum

Drives: Scion - FRS
Garage
I got a question. My frs came with bridgestone. What if i bought another set of stock wheels with michelin tires and happen to drive to till the wear bar show. Will I be able to claim this?
Also how they they suppose to know that your tire wear out before 35k miles?
jshum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:35 PM   #50
d.liang

Drives: 13 whitout frs
first, the 2/32 measurement can be made with any tread depth gauge.

second, it is kinda scumbag steve, but yolo, take advantage of the warranty given to you.

the burnout thing is kinda obvious to spot and most guys will not warranty based on misuse or customer neglect.

lastly, we have no way of telling if your car came with bridgestone or Michelin. so if a set happens to find its way to your car, so be it.
d.liang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:57 PM   #51
fooddude
Banned

Drives: 04 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Reg Cab
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
the burnout thing is kinda obvious to spot and most guys will not warranty based on misuse or customer neglect.
Make sure you drive "normally" for a few weeks, or a few thousand miles, after your said burnouts, lol (500-1k miles is prolly sufficient).... so the wear looks more rounded, even and like it's from daily driving use. Fresh burnouts are definitely easier to spot.
fooddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:52 PM   #52
jshum

Drives: Scion - FRS
Garage
Thanks for answering my question
Here is the biggest question I have in mind. So the warranty only goes to under 35000 mi. Lets say my car has 25000 mi, and I happen to buy a new set of stock wheels with michelin. Then it wore out until my car's odometer is reading 40000 mi. (Meaning I wore them out with 15000 mi driven.) But will I still be able to claim because my odometer is reading 40000 mi. In fact Ive only drove 20000 mi with the set purchased. Sorry if i made this question too confusing.

Quote:
first, the 2/32 measurement can be made with any tread depth gauge.

second, it is kinda scumbag steve, but yolo, take advantage of the warranty given to you.

lastly, we have no way of telling if your car came with bridgestone or Michelin. so if a set happens to find its way to your car, so be it.
jshum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:58 PM   #53
d.liang

Drives: 13 whitout frs
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshum View Post
Here is the biggest question I have in mind. So the warranty only goes to under 35000 mi. Lets say my car has 25000 mi, and I happen to buy a new set of stock wheels with michelin. Then it wore out until my car's odometer is reading 40000 mi. (Meaning I wore them out with 15000 mi driven.) But will I still be able to claim because my odometer is reading 40000 mi. In fact Ive only drove 20000 mi with the set purchased. Sorry if i made this question too confusing.

there gonna go by odometer mileage.
d.liang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:39 PM   #54
SpeedR
First86 / boat thief

Drives: MKIV Supra
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshum View Post
If you can show the other tires...maybe?
SpeedR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:08 PM   #55
GGVF

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited DGM
Anyone tried this recently?
GGVF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:08 PM   #56
skyloran
Honeydew old ID

Drives: GT86
anyone try other locations beside sears auto???