follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 11-10-2015, 05:36 PM   #197
NonStopTuning

Drives: AE86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Any other photos or feedback? Has anyone hit 100,000+ miles with a set of pulleys yet?
NonStopTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 06:25 PM   #198
JohnJuan

Drives: 2013 FR-S, Hot Lava; 2012 Z1000 CBO
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NonStopTuning View Post
Any other photos or feedback? Has anyone hit 100,000+ miles with a set of pulleys yet?
About 12k on mine, since I only got them in February '14.
Old 11-11-2015, 03:47 PM   #199
NonStopTuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJuan View Post
About 12k on mine, since I only got them in February '14.
Thanks for posting. Glad to hear you're doing well!

Old 01-01-2016, 06:43 AM   #200
Xanatos

Drives: @redline, '14 BRZ, '98 Forester
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
@NonStopTuning

I'd like to start off by saying that I am researching all aftermarket pulley kits at the moment and my decision is heavily based upon the rotational weight savings that these pulleys provide.
NST's advertised numbers seemed to be the best bang for the buck but I found some discrepancies which I will explain below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonStopTuning View Post
- OEM Crank Pulley 60oz
- NST Crank Pulley 12oz

- OEM Water Pump Pulley 22oz
- NST Water Pump Pulley 10oz

- OEM Alternator Pulley 10oz
- NST Alternator Pulley 3oz
Assuming that one ounce is ~28.34g (16 ounces in lb. (~453.59g)) you should be at:
- OEM Crank Pulley ~1700.4g (3.74lbs)
- NST Crank Pulley ~340g

- OEM Water Pump Pulley ~623.48g
- NST Water Pump Pulley ~283.4g

- OEM Alternator Pulley ~283.4g
- NST Alternator Pulley ~85g

Off the bat the weight provided seems way off from what other people have measured.
@Mike@CZP - 4.87lbs.
@PERRIN - The PERRIN Performance Crank Pulley weighs just 1.2 lbs, which is 3.7 pounds lighter than the stock OEM crank pulley. - 4.9lbs
Agency Power - Weighing only 1.2lbs, it is almost 4lbs lighter then stock - Check out this lightweight pulley that will save you 3.7 lbs over the factory pulley! - 4.9lbs
@GrimmSpeed - 4.90lbs.
BeatRush - 4.85 lbs
BuddyClub - 4.85
@Raceseng - Stock Crank Pulley - 4.886 lbs.
GoFastBits - 4.89lbs.

So these numbers are varying which means they are not copying from one location and must be measuring themselves. I'm sure there are way more posts from people weighing the stock pulley but thats sufficient proof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-G View Post
OEM Crank Damper = 2227g (4.9lbs)
NST Crank Pulley = 495g

OEM Water Pump Pulley = 457g
NST Water Pump Pulley = 246g

OEM Alternator Pulley = 190g
NST Alternator Pulley = 80g
Thanks for your numbers @Joe-G!

Now if we look at Joe-G's numbers and assume that his are fairly correct it means that:
NST posted weight for the crank pulley is off by ~155g (heavier).
Posted weight for the water pump pulley is off by ~37.4g (lighter).
Posted weight for the alternator pulley is off by ~5g (lighter).

Now it looks great for the water pump and alternator pulleys but the crank pulley weight is heavier by ~45%.
I can see the differences from rounding to the nearest ounce but the crank pulley is clearly off by ~5.5ounces.

I don't want to seem like I'm attacking NST but truth is they posted information on here and on their website that is incorrect and I almost bought into it until I saw the real weights.
So how are customers supposed to trust a company to engineer a critical engine part if they can't weigh/post the parts correctly?
Come on it takes at most 2 minutes to weigh these parts and you can't even seem to do that when potential customers are asking about the idler/tension pulleys. @markitect had to do it themselves AFTER they purchased.

Last edited by Xanatos; 01-26-2016 at 11:57 PM.
Xanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xanatos For This Useful Post:
Hostile_Kittens (04-13-2016), Joe-G (01-01-2016)
Old 01-22-2016, 05:47 PM   #201
NonStopTuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanatos View Post
@NonStopTuning

I don't want to seem like I'm attacking NST but truth is they posted information on here and on their website that is incorrect and I almost bought into it until I saw the real weights.
So how are customers supposed to trust a company to engineer a critical engine part if they can't weigh/post the parts correctly?

I don't want to seem like I'm attacking anyone either so I will try to respond with tech info, as much as I can.

NST is one of those few companies that has been in business for over a decade now. Some of the data/photos on many of the websites for larger companies is a general guideline, meant to be used as more of an example and a guideline, rather than to be taken literally. The weights listed on some of our product pages are a reflection of what these items weigh as an average, for example most crank, alternator, and water pump pulleys fall into the above range when looking at the most popular 4 cylinder engines on the market.

What is important, and is specific, is to note that NST crank pulleys are apx 75% lighter than the OEM pulleys they replace and we list specific dyno charts for these parts to show the performance benefits.

NST dyno charts for specific applications...
http://nonstoptuningusa.com/dynos/

All of that having been said, I understand some customers will want exact weights listed specifically for each particular application and we will be updating our website moving forward to make this happen.

Furthermore, despite what some of you may think and argue, lighter is not always better. The performance difference between 75%, 80%, even 85% weight reduction is absolutely not noticeable in the real world. In addition, the strength and overall durability of the product are often directly related to the design, which will lead to the overall weight of the product. This is something that most people forget to consider. Do we have the ability to make NST parts 86% lighter than OEM? YES. Has our decade of experience with our own products and monitoring the products of our competitors suggested that this is something we should do? NO.

Quote:
NST has been in business since 2005 and over a span of more than a decade has designed, tested, manufactured, and brought to market over a hundred items.
There are dozens of threads on various forums across the internet filled with hundreds of reviews from real world customers of NST, using NST products on their street cars and race cars for several thousand miles at a time. Many of these customers have come back to NST to buy NST pulleys for multiple different project cars including Toyota, Honda, Nissan, etc.

One of my favorite things in the world is when someone comes to me at a Formula Drift / Hot Import Nights / etc. event and says something like, "I bought an NST pulley for my AE86 7/8/9 years ago and still use it!" This sort of thing happens often.

I will list a few links... you can read through these and will notice some very important things: Thousands of miles racked up by hundreds of customers, less than 1% of reported cases of product failure when NST pulleys have been used.

Is that enough to warrant trust in NST products? You don't have to take my word for it, the NST reviews have spoken for themselves for over a decade. How many of our competitors can provide you with this sort of feedback across multiple platforms, with more than a hundred items in their catalogs, spanning over a decade?

Second gen Scion tC, apx 30 pages of feedback from customers...
http://www.scionlife.com/forums/scio...ulleys-211616/

Veloster Turbo & Veloster n/a, apx 50 pages of feedback from customers...
http://www.velosterturbo.org/forum/v...o-results.html

Nissan 370Z, apx 100 pages of feedback from customers...
http://www.the370z.com/engine-drivet...no-charts.html

Scion FRS & Subaru BRZ, apx 12 pages of feedback from customers...
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75581

I think this should show enough data to help answer your specific question regarding trust, with respect to engineering and critical engine components.

To all of our customers who have helped us come this far in the past ten plus years, we most certainly appreciate your continued support of our brand and products. Thank you, best of luck with all your projects!
Old 03-02-2016, 01:10 PM   #202
NonStopTuning

Any user reviews from recent customers?
Old 03-11-2016, 05:37 PM   #203
LAkingsfanYO

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine 6SPD
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I wish I could speak for the performance gain from these pieces but I unfortunately installed them with a Tomei UEL and Overpipe at the same time. They look great and are still holding up strong. Put about 12,000 miles on em so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LAkingsfanYO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LAkingsfanYO For This Useful Post:
NonStopTuning (04-12-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 03:55 PM   #204
NonStopTuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAkingsfanYO View Post

I wish I could speak for the performance gain from these pieces but I unfortunately installed them with a Tomei UEL and Overpipe at the same time. They look great and are still holding up strong. Put about 12,000 miles on em so far
Very glad to hear you're doing well after about 12k miles.

Best of luck with all your projects!

Old 05-09-2016, 03:55 PM   #205
brzzy
@anthonysestito

Drives: 2013 Sterling Silver Metallic BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I've emailed you guys quite a few times and DM'd via the forum regarding my blemished pulleys that came to me almost a month ago now.... I really am hoping for some sort of response - I don't want to leave a negative review on an otherwise potentially great product.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IG: @ANTHONYSESTITO
brzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 12:14 PM   #206
1slow86

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just in case anyone is Interested in these pulleys, don't be. Check this company's BBB profile. That should be enough for you to stay your distance from this company. In the past It took 9 months for me to get a single pulley for my tC when I had one. This company doesn't know what good customer service is. Had to file disputes against them just to get anything out of them. There are better and more trustworthy companies out there. You're welcome (:
1slow86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1slow86 For This Useful Post:
North_GA_FRS (05-08-2018)
Old 06-23-2017, 12:22 PM   #207
JohnJuan

Drives: 2013 FR-S, Hot Lava; 2012 Z1000 CBO
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slow86 View Post
Just in case anyone is Interested in these pulleys, don't be. Check this company's BBB profile. That should be enough for you to stay your distance from this company. In the past It took 9 months for me to get a single pulley for my tC when I had one. This company doesn't know what good customer service is. Had to file disputes against them just to get anything out of them. There are better and more trustworthy companies out there. You're welcome (:
My pulleys came in a reasonable time, and they've been performing sufficiently for several years now.

BBB sometimes engages in a pay for ratings. Maybe NST didn't want to play ball?

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/la-bus...ry?id=12458713
Old 06-24-2017, 04:28 PM   #208
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slow86 View Post
the bbb is totally and completely useless. They gave a company an "F" grade because they had a sale of a product and never stated an "original" price. That's insane.

I have used NST products for a decade and have never had a problem. My NST kit on my Yaris has around 50,000 miles on it and my NST kit on my BRZ has about 10,000 miles on it and both are doing well.

You sound like you are making up garbage because you are a competitor.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to why? For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (06-24-2017)
Old 06-24-2017, 06:14 PM   #209
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I don't have pulleys from NST, but I read your first post and I liked it. Keep up the good work!
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 07:32 PM   #210
Somerandom18

Drives: 2017 manual BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Had an NST pulley on my last car and it was great. No problems what so ever.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Somerandom18 is offline   Reply With Quote