follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 02-10-2012, 11:43 AM   #1
Undecided

Drives: Suzuki Esteem 1998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Comfort and daily driving - Should I go with a sports coupe?

Hey folks,

I'm buying a new car end of this year/beginning of 2013 (it's been decided) Time to say goodbye to my awesome Suzuki Esteem 1998 (lol).

I'm having hour long conversations with my dad, brother and girlfriend about what type of car I should jump to; sports(coupe) or sedan. I'm pretty much the only one that is considering a sports coupe, my family is pushing me to grab a comfort sedan like the Kia Optima or the Sonata. Their argument is that when I start having kids a coupe will prove uncomfortable. I personally don't see a problem with buying an SUV for my girlfriend while I can drive the sporty car

BUT, I would be driving quite often, commuting most of the time (think 100KM daily or more). Question is, how would a car like BRZ, FR-S, GC, or Porsche Cayman (seriously I'm faling in love with this one, although I would have to buy a 2007 model to be able to afford it) handle the commute? Would the engine noise become a pain in the butt after a while, is it comfortable? Will the inside of the vehicle be pleasant on my eyes and bring joy to my heart?

I guess I'm just looking for some support from the community so that I can show my family I'm making the right choice hahaha, someone give me a hand
Undecided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:00 PM   #2
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,049 Times in 8,324 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Depends on what you look for in DD cars. If you don't care bout mpg go for GC & Cayman, cuz I don't recall those two car been nice MPG.

Also how many ppl gonna be riding? Do you driving your friends around w this car? Cuz if you're planning to bring 2~3 friends then coupe is lil bitch.

Next is weather condition. Does it snow there? If it is, FR isn't the best.

Figure those things out & test drive around & see which car fits the best for ya

Last edited by ichitaka05; 02-10-2012 at 12:15 PM.
ichitaka05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:05 PM   #3
Undecided

Thanks for the response. The Porsche isn't bad, 32MPG Highway 23 City. I wouldn't be driving anyone around I think, I always drive by myself unless we go out somewhere and I offer to take them.

Regarding snow... usually in Toronto it does snow a lot. This year however, zero snow but I can't take that into consideration given that driving during winter it's a guaranteed to have snow for at least 3 months.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:19 PM   #4
blur
ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Drives: E36 5.7 V8
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
FR-S was snow tested
Old 02-10-2012, 12:41 PM   #5
PACMAN

Drives: 2003 Shitfire (Sunfire)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undecided View Post
Thanks for the response. The Porsche isn't bad, 32MPG Highway 23 City. I wouldn't be driving anyone around I think, I always drive by myself unless we go out somewhere and I offer to take them.

Regarding snow... usually in Toronto it does snow a lot. This year however, zero snow but I can't take that into consideration given that driving during winter it's a guaranteed to have snow for at least 3 months.

Whereabouts do you commute from/to? (fellow Torontonian here)

100km/day will probably lighten your wallet in a porsche regarding gas, insurance and actual price of car. If I were you, I would be looking at th FR-S or the 2013 GC 2.0T for practicality's sake. Only issue with these guys is that they are both going to be first-year models (2013 GC is a redesign with new engine). That is my setback as I am wary about 1st yr models. I too am looking for a car soon, but the above worries me a little.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:32 PM   #6
Undecided

I commute from Oakville to Toronto, next year it will be from Milton (401->427->Gardiner)

Yeah the Cayman might be pushing it possibly. What are your thoughts on the Optima or Sonata over say a GC 2.0?

Also, my brother has a 2011 GC Premium fully loaded and I don't really want to get his same car haha
Old 02-10-2012, 01:34 PM   #7
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PACMAN View Post
Whereabouts do you commute from/to? (fellow Torontonian here)

100km/day will probably lighten your wallet in a porsche regarding gas, insurance and actual price of car. If I were you, I would be looking at th FR-S or the 2013 GC 2.0T for practicality's sake. Only issue with these guys is that they are both going to be first-year models (2013 GC is a redesign with new engine). That is my setback as I am wary about 1st yr models. I too am looking for a car soon, but the above worries me a little.
Toyota has a pretty good warranty thing going on for their first year models. If something is all bugged they'll bring it in to fix.

Plus for commuting all I can say is... hypermile. :P

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
Yashio Factory Pink adds +10HP to anything.
TOYOTA FT-86
Giccin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:45 PM   #8
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
I think the BRZ/FRS is worth it... It'll get ~30mpg, it'll be fairly comfortable, and it'll be damn fun.

But I'm biased. This is FT86Club
Guff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:47 PM   #9
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Pulse and glide! Should be able to pull 45mpg on the highway like that rofl. Can't do that in a turbo car.
Engine noise on the FRS...well it'll be revving 2600 at 60, tad over 3100 at 75, you decide if that's too much. You can always remove the silly intake noise pipe. I have a feeling this car might have a bit of annoying drone on the highway.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:48 PM   #10
Longhorn248
Hook 'em

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
It sounds like your not married and don't have kids yet. Get the sports car.
Longhorn248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:51 PM   #11
Undecided

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn248 View Post
It sounds like your not married and don't have kids yet. Get the sports car.
Winner!
Old 02-10-2012, 01:55 PM   #12
PACMAN

Drives: 2003 Shitfire (Sunfire)
Quote:
I commute from Oakville to Toronto, next year it will be from Milton (401->427->Gardiner)

Yeah the Cayman might be pushing it possibly. What are your thoughts on the Optima or Sonata over say a GC 2.0?

Also, my brother has a 2011 GC Premium fully loaded and I don't really want to get his same car haha
Lengthy commute indeed! It would definitely suck to have the same car as your brother, although yours would be redesigned and more powerful! (assuming you get 2013) Sonata/Optima, will probably be a more economical solution, but they wouldn't be as fun as the GC or Fr-S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giccin View Post
Toyota has a pretty good warranty thing going on for their first year models. If something is all bugged they'll bring it in to fix.

Plus for commuting all I can say is... hypermile. :P
I am still a little scared. I got the first year of a redesigned sunfire. And I had nothing but trouble. While under warranty, they kept on saying they couldn't replicate the problem, and would not help me out. I know it is GM (and I was 17 at the time) and this is Toyota(and I am older and lawsuit happy if it happened again), but it has changed my mindset. An alternative I have thought of, is to lease it and if it is problem free, buy out the lease afterwards. (a little bit of insurance and peace of mind i guess)
Old 02-10-2012, 02:51 PM   #13
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,257 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:

1. low center of gravity of the porsche and fr-s would make it handle better as a FR in the snow

2. porsche and fr-s get good mpgs with the fr-s a bit better

3. since your commute is a pretty good distance, buy new, dont get a used car thats going to leave you stranded, in the snow, COLD

4. GC has a bit more room than the porsche and fr-s but thats about it...

5. ohh yeah and the fr-s is going to have better reliability than either cars

6. do i really have to say more?

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #14
Undecided

Why would you say it's more reliable exactly?

Tags
brz, optima