follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-28-2014, 04:02 AM   #1
BC-Boy

Drives: 2013 Brz sport-tech
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Cure to BC Chev 94, Ethanol (bioflame) ;)

humm so interestingly enough NOT to my supprise, a very credible possibly one of the more reliable sources, has told me that tuning my car on 94oct chevron is worse than CA 91, This is sad, and it sucks, I hate BC gas.
Why is it that the 94 in ontario and 93 we had in Quebec was soo good? could it be the BC gas is mainly oilsand derived (bitumen) ?

Could it really be that our Chevron sits in tanks for too long ? Chevrons main refinery here in the canadien west is in Vancouver... so you would think that it would be great gas.

This really sucks i can barley run a 91 tune on this stuff, Ive gone alot between Vpower 91 (0 ethanol) and the Chev 94 (0 ethanol) and honestly the shell is a little worse BUT seems to be smoother, there is more knock but the actualy feel of the throttle and smoothness of the revs feels better with shell, allthough i have gotten a few really good tanks of Chev94 where they were smooth and ran really good judging on logs.

So i tried some VP Octanium and it works really well, but its pricey (40$ 32oz) and its basicly a solvent with mmt like the torco..which does leave some deposits and gets the inside of the header a bit orange. nothing dramatic but its not clean burning .

So now im reading about Bioflame Ethanol , can be bought at Rona or CanadienTire for between 20-27$ 3.8 liters. Alot of ppl on other forums have run this stuff and apperently it works really well. similar to adding 3-4 octane points when mixed at a 10% blend. The Bioflame is 95% ethanol and 5% methanol, methanol is bad as it deteriorates plastic but at on 5% cant see it being a problem. this would be cheap if for say you could add just a half jug to a full tank of 91vpower and turn it into US 92 similar to what you would find in washington... i think i just may try it. its gonna be dry so ill add some 2 stroke oil and injector lube at a slightly higher ratio than i do now, maybe 10%more. so 1:350 kinda thing. ive heard alot of GTR guys mix e85 to the chev94 and it runs really good. so this may be a easy to find alternative.

Last edited by BC-Boy; 05-28-2014 at 05:44 PM.
BC-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:02 AM   #2
Thorpedo
The SquadWhisperer

Drives: '13 Ultramarine FR-S (STX)
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
In for more info. Why don't you ask your "very credible source"?

Powered by Great North Performance, Jani-King Canada, and OK Tire.
Thorpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:55 AM   #3
phobos512

Drives: 2014 FR-S 6MT Whiteout
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I'm not a Canadian but I can Google...

http://www.revscene.net/forums/68154...dien-fuel.html

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=860059

Seems fairly well known in other forums (that second link has a compendium of "like" topics in the first post from other forums).
Old 05-28-2014, 08:13 AM   #4
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Boy View Post
humm so interestingly enough NOT to my supprise, a very credible possibly one of the more reliable sources, has told me that tuning my car on 94oct chevron is worse than CA 91, This is sad, and it sucks, I hate BC gas.
Why is it that the 94 in ontario and 93 we had in Quebec was soo good? could it be the BC gas is mainly oilsand derived (bitumen) ?

Could it really be that our Chevron sits in tanks for too long ? Chevrons main refinery here in the canadien west is in Vancouver... so you would think that it would be great gas.

This really sucks i can barley run a 91 tune on this stuff, Ive gone alot between Vpower 91 (0 ethanol) and the Chev 94 (0 ethanol) and honestly the shell is a little worse BUT seems to be smoother, there is more knock but the actualy feel of the throttle and smoothness of the revs feels better with shell, allthough i have gotten a few really good tanks of Chev94 where they were smooth and ran really good judging on logs.

So i tried some VP Octanium and it works really well, but its pricey (40$ 32oz) and its basicly a solvent with mmt like the torco..which does leave some deposits and gets the inside of the header a bit orange. nothing dramatic but its not clean burning .

So now im reading about Bioflame Ethanol , can be bought at Rona or CanadienTire for between 20-27$ 3.8 liters. Alot of ppl on other forums have run this stuff and apperently it works really well. similar to adding 3-4 octane points when mixed at a 10% blend. The Bioflame is 95% ethanol and 5% methanol, methanol is bad as it deteriorates plastic but at on 5% cant see it being a problem. this would be cheap if for say you could add just a half jug to a full tank of 91vpower and turn it into US 92 similar to what you would find in washington... i think i just may try it. its gonna be dry so ill add some 2 stroke oil and injector lube at a slightly higher ratio than i do now, maybe 10%more. so 1:350 kinda thing. ive heard alot of GTR guys mix e85 to the chev94 and it runs really good. so this may be a easy to find alternative.
just add 10 to 12 % E85 to your non-ethanol petrol its worth 2 or 3 octane points, much cheaper and readily available alternative.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 12:53 PM   #5
BC-Boy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by phobos512 View Post
I'm not a Canadian but I can Google...

http://www.revscene.net/forums/68154...dien-fuel.html

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=860059

Seems fairly well known in other forums (that second link has a compendium of "like" topics in the first post from other forums).
i have read all of those,
Using higher volume blends of ethanol to leverage the alcohol’s inherent high octane rating to produce ethanol-gasoline blends with higher octane numbers could yield “substantial societal benefits”, according to a team of researchers from Ford Motor Company.

Currently, ethanol is blended into a gasoline blendstock formulated with lower octane rating such that the net octane rating of the resulting final blend is unchanged from historical levels. However, the high octane rating of ethanol could be used in a mid-level ethanol blend to increase the minimum octane number (Research Octane Number, RON) of regular-grade gasoline, J.E. Anderson and colleagues suggest in a new paper published in the journal Fuel.

Ethanol—and methanol—have some performance issues in gasoline blends, such as lower energy density than gasoline, potentially higher or lower vapor pressures, altered distillation properties, and potential for water-induced phase separation. However, they also offer a high research octane number (RON) and motor octane number (MON) as compared to gasoline. The alcohols also have a greater latent heat of vaporization than gasoline, which contributes to their higher RON values and provides additional charge cooling in direct-injection (DI) engines.

The octane number reflects the ability of a fuel to resist “knock”—resulting from premature autoignition—in spark-ignited engines, which can cause engine damage when severe.

Higher RON in the fuel blend would enable greater thermal efficiency in future engines through higher compression ratio (CR) and/or more aggressive turbocharging and downsizing, and in current engines on the road today through more aggressive spark timing under some driving conditions.

Using a linear molar octane blending model they had developed earlier to quantify RON potential from ethanol and blendstock, the team estimated that an increase of 4-7 points in RON are possible by blending in an additional 10–20%v ethanol above the 10% already present. Keeping the blendstock RON at 88 (which provides E10 with ∼92.5 RON), they estimated RON would be increased to 94.3 for E15 to as much as 98.6 for E30. Further RON increases may be achievable assuming changes to the blendstock RON and/or hydrocarbon composition, they suggested.

An increase in blendstock RON from 88 to 92 would increase the RON of E10 from 92.5 to 95.6, and would provide higher RON with additional ethanol content (e.g., RON of 97.1 for E15 to 100.6 for E30).

Under scenarios considered in the paper, the team estimated CR increases to be on the order of 1–3 CR-units for port fuel injection engines as well as for direct injection engines in which the greater evaporative cooling of ethanol can be fully utilized.

this is from ford., it specifies DI engines benefit from Ethanol.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:55 PM   #6
BC-Boy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
just add 10 to 12 % E85 to your non-ethanol petrol its worth 2 or 3 octane points, much cheaper and readily available alternative.
theres no e85 for hundreds of miles bud. not really a option.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:31 PM   #7
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Boy View Post
theres no e85 for hundreds of miles bud. not really a option.
Even so, looking at the price of the other stuff your looking at you could probably freight a 200L drum of E85 for less

at 10% ratio that would do 40 tanks of fuel.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:39 PM   #8
BC-Boy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Even so, looking at the price of the other stuff your looking at you could probably freight a 200L drum of E85 for less

at 10% ratio that would do 40 tanks of fuel.
yes but i live in a condo building ... i have nowhere to put it, and if i do that i know myself, and would run the 85 strait from the drum. then id get hooked on e85 and spend too much in importing it. so i want to find a way to just pep up the local gas for about 15 dollars a tankful. i can get this ethanol at a hardware store for 23dollars 4 liters . that is reasonable, i could put 2/3s for about 15$
The Following User Says Thank You to BC-Boy For This Useful Post:
steve99 (05-28-2014)
Old 05-28-2014, 02:26 PM   #9
Raven604

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Probably easier to run meth man. That's what I plan on doing On a separate map. I'm in the same boat as you.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
Raven604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:15 PM   #10
BC-Boy

Garage
OK update, in short result is WOW. just got back from a canyon run that allways murders the IAM and gets the engine pretty hot. I mixed in a full tank a 3.78l jug of Bioflame from RONA 22$ and the tune runs like a absolute boss. no matter how hard i try i cannot get it to knock. stomp on the throttle @2000rpm ... no knock, that is a first ! this works better than the VP octanium. Allthough on map i had with fuel trims dissabled, OMG it ran so rich i was getting +30 fuel trims... i switched to my original map and wow , its a bit lean but the knock is all gone , +10 knock learn the whole way to redline. This blow my mind how i can use 91 and get knock then the 94is just a hair better, this is like a totally different gas and its only E10 .... im never going back im going to add less and less until i find knock to reappear and then keep that as my daily mix. the fuel millage is absolutly great im getting 6.5L/100km before that 8.5ish. i dunno why but i just did a 150km drive with this stuff beating on it and got better millage. i added some 2 stroke ashless oil to it so it lubes up the fuel system a bit. im gonna try and find it buy the 5gallon pail for cheaper. im sure i can source some @ about 10 buck a gallon. E85 isnt around here so... gotta go with the bioflame and hunt down some cheaper alternative now that i know it works. !!! ill be updateing with a dyno in the coming weeks, see how it performs but the buy dyno is happy as hell. Thanks Delicious tuning for a great too BTW oh and the engine is so much cooler too in really hard driving, even with my perrin oil cooler 100degree temps did come fast but now even tho its a bit lean temps never rose over 97, it is cool out today tho.. but i can tell allready the ethanol helps the engine run cooler.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:23 PM   #11
BC-Boy

Garage
I think this is our best bet in BC, turn that shit chevron 94 0 ethanol into some E10. ill be updating with info on the cheapest ethanol i can find. currently Rona is the best prices Bioflame , Canadian tire is the most exspensive. !
Old 05-28-2014, 06:33 PM   #12
Thorpedo
The SquadWhisperer

Drives: '13 Ultramarine FR-S (STX)
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
I would be all over this if I knew for sure I wouldn't hurt anything.