follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-01-2014, 01:10 PM   #1
MaXimus
Meh!

Drives: Satin White, 86, Manual
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exhaust Designs

Hey Guys,

Tried to do some research but cannot find an answer.

Between all these exhaust systems on the market what's the really difference when you take into account most systems are made out of T304 steel. I understand the titanium exhaust systems provide a weight saving. But weld quality and material should be similar between all of them.

Also what really difference does using different manufacturer products for example: JDL headers, perrin overpipe, invidia front pipe and HKS cat back over for example: JDL headers, overpipe front pipe and perrin catback. I've done my research in understanding exhaust flow design but again seems very much you are paying for brand name and not so much actual exhaust design specific to FA20 motor. We should all know by now the FA20 does not yield performance figures we all hoped like other N/A motors out there (98ron tuning).

Cheers for all the feedback in advance.

Sam
RAYS TE37V 17X9 / MICHELIN 245/40/R17 / KW V3 / RACESENG TOP HATS / MOTUL 5.1 + BRAIDED LINES / FERODO DS2500 BRAKE PADS / NEXUS 7 IN DASH / VDS UEL HEADERS / CRAWFORD POWER BLOCKS/ K&N DROP IN FILTER / Custom 3 inch header back catless exhaust / Varex 3in Muffler / HT AUTO LIP KIT / VALENTI TAIL LIGHTS / MORIMOTO PROJECTOR + HID.
MaXimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:19 PM   #2
Hawaiian
That guy

Drives: Ultramarine mt FR-S
Thanked 1,389 Times in 730 Posts
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXimus View Post
Hey Guys,

Tried to do some research but cannot find an answer.

Between all these exhaust systems on the market what's the really difference when you take into account most systems are made out of T304 steel. I understand the titanium exhaust systems provide a weight saving. But weld quality and material should be similar between all of them.

Also what really difference does using different manufacturer products for example: JDL headers, perrin overpipe, invidia front pipe and HKS cat back over for example: JDL headers, overpipe front pipe and perrin catback. I've done my research in understanding exhaust flow design but again seems very much you are paying for brand name and not so much actual exhaust design specific to FA20 motor. We should all know by now the FA20 does not yield performance figures we all hoped like other N/A motors out there (98ron tuning).

Cheers for all the feedback in advance.

Sam
Thickness of piping, muffler used, cats. Sometimes slight variations create different acoustics that will have larger effects on the performance, as well as sound.
Jr Tuned 506whp @17psi (e73)
Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:40 PM   #3
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,363 Times in 4,132 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
The 3 manufacturers that come to mind who have actually done research on their headers are Nameless, JDL* and Vishnutuning. If you are wanting na power gains you have to take what ever gains are available.
All manufacturers are a business; there are costs involved that have to be recouped before there is any profit.

*See this post on their collector.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=685179.

Quote:
Hey Guys,
We should all know by now
Who are "we"? I bet everyone doesn't know.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
MaXimus (04-02-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 07:29 PM   #4
Turdinator
Señor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Hey Guys,
We should all know by now the FA20 does not yield performance figures we all hoped like other N/A motors out there (98ron tuning).
What performance figures had you hoped for? What other current gen N/A motors?

I feel like the FA20 gets ragged on a lot and everyone compares it to older engines that are no longer in production because they don't meet the emission requirements of today. For a N/A 2lt engine with a single cam profile I think it does amazingly.
The Following User Says Thank You to Turdinator For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (04-01-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 01:51 AM   #5
MaXimus
Meh!

Drives: Satin White, 86, Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdinator View Post
What performance figures had you hoped for? What other current gen N/A motors?

I feel like the FA20 gets ragged on a lot and everyone compares it to older engines that are no longer in production because they don't meet the emission requirements of today. For a N/A 2lt engine with a single cam profile I think it does amazingly.
Sorry,

Comparison as far as I'm aware happens because of one the price and two the type of vehicle. I'm not sure how the emissions ties into things but I feel the manufacturing process has allowed controlled exactly how much need and is made out of an engine. Instead of being 7/10 or 8/10 out of the motor from factory processes have pushed 9.5/10 from the factory instead.
RAYS TE37V 17X9 / MICHELIN 245/40/R17 / KW V3 / RACESENG TOP HATS / MOTUL 5.1 + BRAIDED LINES / FERODO DS2500 BRAKE PADS / NEXUS 7 IN DASH / VDS UEL HEADERS / CRAWFORD POWER BLOCKS/ K&N DROP IN FILTER / Custom 3 inch header back catless exhaust / Varex 3in Muffler / HT AUTO LIP KIT / VALENTI TAIL LIGHTS / MORIMOTO PROJECTOR + HID.
MaXimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:21 AM   #6
J-W

Drives: '13 Subaru BRZ Limited
Quote:
Instead of being 7/10 or 8/10 out of the motor from factory processes have pushed 9.5/10 from the factory instead.
As far as a manufacturing stand point goes, where there's human controls studies have shown human accuracy around 85%. Although a majority of facets have been automated, there's still a lot of room for error in any manufacturing process. That's just a bit of what I've been taught through quality control training.

-Jay
J-W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J-W For This Useful Post:
MaXimus (04-02-2014)