follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 09:51 PM   #43
Amaya

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by themadscientist View Post
Ah, bench racing continues to deliver the laughs.

Two guys stare each other down at the Starbucks over manly latte frapaccinos. The BRZ guy slams down his Intial D manga still in Japanese that he can't read and demands of the Evo driver "sup?"

The Evo driver, the alpha of his group stops taking an instagram photo of his blueberry scone and knocks the copy of import tuner out of his buddy's hand and asks "did that petty RWD punk talk to me?"

His underling takes the bosses crank out of his mouth, wipes his lips and says, "cha, what's your problem, brah?"

The BRZ and FRS guys all stand and straighten up their cargo pants except for the 40 year old guy. He just rolls his eyes and goes back to reading the menu looking for gluten free morsels to complement his tall fat free coffee.

The Evo guys stand, and fluff their WRC jackets and clench their fists making their Sparco racing cloves creak, yes, they are wearing racing gloves to drink coffee. Grip is paramount not only in racing, but also when imbibing hot, overpriced pretentious beverages at "The Bucks."

The two groups flip furniture out of the way as they stalk towards each other. Lesser customers scatter, many run for their Kias and Corollas to flee. Crashing together. The two combatants spread their arms Stapp-like and bump chests and fence with the edges of the flat brims on their DC hats, both inquiring of the other "what's your problem, brah?"

45 minutes later, the problem has been determined and the subsequent social normative behavior accomplished so that we now find the BRZ and Evo guys staged side by side at the entrance to a school zone.

The two drivers rev their machines and stare each other down. The BRZ owner is furiously trying to get his Torque app to boot up and to reset his factory shift light. Does he do the pedal dance? Of course not. This is a race car, all systems are on!

The Evo driver is shifting around in his Cusco bucket seat. He forgot to take his big chain wallet out of his back pocket and he's got personal camber setting problems. That and he clocked his head on the roll cage getting in. No padding because racecar.

On either side of the road, the only three asian chicks in town begin the count, "ready." Both drivers start revving and twisting their fists around their steering wheels. "Set-o" Suzy doesn't know why she has to pronounce it that way; she's not even Japanese, she's a quarter Korean on her mother's side, but her douche bag boyfriend says she has to say it like that. The BRZ guy revs until his shift light starts to flicker. The Evo guy starts bouncing off his rally spec rev cut with huge fiery pops blowing out of the exhaust. "GO!"

BANG! the drivers both whip out calculators and begin furiously punching numbers into them. The BRZ guy has weight and horsepower plugged in, he looks over and the EVO guy is already working on his gear ratios, shit! He grits his teeth and accelerates through his, now he's punching in contact patch and tire circumference. He glances left and sees the Evo guy puzzled, he forgot to carry the 2! Driver truly makes the difference in racing! Numbers plotted, the two heroes annotate all the figures and rip the sheet of paper off the pad and hand it out their windows to the nearest start girl.

The race over, they get off the gas. The BRZ has overheated from the battle and their is the slightest hint of a rod knock and the Evo's thrust bearing is toast. That was a long race and he had the clutch depressed the whole time.

The third asian girl runs to the bathroom to change and comes back in a naughty schoolgirl outfit and begins to calculate all the numbers. The crowd begins to chant "do math" "do math" as she gets the final numbers. She points to one of the two "racers" and announces the winner.

After all the "props" are exchanged and the "disses" delivered they both call tow trucks. The life of a racer is hard and lonely, but it is "dope."
I am in awe
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2014, 09:57 PM   #44
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sypher View Post
Last time i checked STi's can't slit torque 100% to the rear. i believe they are something like 65%R-35%F
I didnt mean actively split torque, sorry.
I meant that once the fronts begin to lift and slip, the center diff locks and now the car is the same as a RWD mechanically, just with extra baggage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
There is simply no way a 2wd car will hook anywhere near as hard as an awd car on the street. On a prepped track with big slicks, there might be a chance.

4 wheels of grip vs 2 wheels of grip, it's simple physics.
And simple physics dictates that once you get to ridiculous hp levels, and drag racing on the street, that the front wheels on a AWD car are doing very little good.
If you watch a lot of AWD drag videos you will see that most of the screwups by the AWD guys is that once the wheels begin to spin, you cant steer the car and have to lift.
The EVO-X has a system that compensates for that now.
The RWD guy can light the tires all the way down the track and keep it straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
If the center diff were to lock, it would be splitting torque 50/50, not sending 100% to the rear. Very few AWD cars can send 100% of torque to the rear as well, plus if they are shifting power they do it to the wheels with grip. If the fronts aren't on the verge of spinning, they won't be shifting torque split to the rear.
I just meant that once the front wheels slip (they will lift and slip before the rears), the diff locks and you essentially have all of the available torque applied at the rear tire patches just like on a RWD car.
In just straight out drag racing the AWD car is not always the superior choice.
And if AWD is so much faster then why are 12 of the top 15 laps on the Nürburgring from a RWD car?
And why isnt F1 AWD if it is superior?
Old 12-14-2014, 10:22 PM   #45
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

Drives: violent
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipstik-sportech View Post
I mean my car will run door to door with a hellcat a gtr nismo a c7 z06 etc, and it was built for thousands less.
Similar results here.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:26 PM   #46
Bobblehead

Drives: 2013 BRZ (gone) 2016 Ford Fusion SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I just want to apologize for starting a giant shit fit.

AWD launches better. Sure, there's a lot of drive train loss compared to RWD, but spinning the tires and not getting enough grip is worse than any amount of drivetrain loss.

That's all I was saying in my first post. As far as corners and driving afterwards? I dunno. I'm not experienced enough with either to say anything one way or the other.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:28 PM   #47
2016 Camaro SS

Drives: Fast
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
Orly?

in the last two weeks I've smoked two vette's a bmw 645 and one M6 seemed to me like the perfect car to do it.
There's no replacement for displacement unfortunately. You force induce a good V8 on the drag strip with some slicks and it's game over. This car has potential, but against a GT500, Hellcat, or ZL1, it's going to get ugly. The BRZ can be fast, but for the money it takes, I'd rather drop the 60k and have a full warrantied Hellcat that is even covered at the strip. The BRZ on a race course is a whole different ballgame.

Hope I'm not raining on your parade. I applaud your take downs in that list because they were probably mind boggled. I've never been a Vette fan, but the new Z06 is scary!
Old 12-14-2014, 10:57 PM   #48
Turdinator
Señor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stugray
And why isnt F1 AWD if it is superior?
Because the rules require the cars to be rear wheel drive. The FIA is constantly coming up with rules to slow F1 cars down.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:14 PM   #49
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016 Camaro SS View Post
There's no replacement for displacement unfortunately. You force induce a good V8 on the drag strip with some slicks and it's game over. This car has potential, but against a GT500, Hellcat, or ZL1, it's going to get ugly. The BRZ can be fast, but for the money it takes, I'd rather drop the 60k and have a full warrantied Hellcat that is even covered at the strip. The BRZ on a race course is a whole different ballgame.

Hope I'm not raining on your parade. I applaud your take downs in that list because they were probably mind boggled. I've never been a Vette fan, but the new Z06 is scary!
Sportsguy definitely isn't talking about taking them down at the strip
The Following User Says Thank You to Koa For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (12-15-2014)
Old 12-14-2014, 11:21 PM   #50
AVodka14

Drives: 2013 Raven FRS MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I think you have plenty of power for the car so it is more aggressive. I am just shooting for 100 more whp and tq max. Who cares about keeping up with those rides. Your FRS has some balls now. Enjoy them :-)
Old 12-14-2014, 11:27 PM   #51
mike the snake

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
My BRZ with 300whp and 220ft/lbs torque is wicked fast, but I need just that little bit more!

I think I'll be happy around 350/250. That should handle most cars that aren't seriously modified.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:28 PM   #52
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdinator View Post
Because the rules require the cars to be rear wheel drive. The FIA is constantly coming up with rules to slow F1 cars down.
It is banned now, but when it was attempted (many times) it was deemed slower by the drivers of the times.

To quote WP "Meanwhile, advances in wing and tyre technologies negated any advantage to compensate for the extra weight and complication of their 4WD transmission systems compared to their rear-wheel drive contemporaries. Furthermore, virtually every driver who drove the cars hated the way they handled."

The added weight and complexity (lower transmission efficiency) means that the 320 hp EVO will be heavier than a 320 hp BRZ.
If you want to make the arguement:
2800 lb, 320hp 4WD EVO-X (they actually weigh 3500 lbs)
Versus
2800 lb, 320hp RWD BRZ

Then yes the EVO will win, but if you just take a stock evo-x against BRZ boosted to 320 hp, the BRZ should win the drag race.
The Following User Says Thank You to stugray For This Useful Post:
Koa (12-15-2014)
Old 12-14-2014, 11:29 PM   #53
Canehda
poverty cause racecar

Drives: Subaru BRZ JRSC'd
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I love when an OP makes a post that is undoubtedly meant to rustle up the crowd and then sits back and watches the fights unfold… Then the thread closes, people get banned and I look back later and lol

Plot Twist! OP has 320 hp worth of stickers!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canehda For This Useful Post:
Dream20b (12-15-2014)
Old 12-15-2014, 12:41 AM   #54
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
Old 12-15-2014, 01:25 AM   #55
campy
No rice, no life

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Thanked 1,019 Times in 388 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stugray View Post
It is banned now, but when it was attempted (many times) it was deemed slower by the drivers of the times.

To quote WP "Meanwhile, advances in wing and tyre technologies negated any advantage to compensate for the extra weight and complication of their 4WD transmission systems compared to their rear-wheel drive contemporaries. Furthermore, virtually every driver who drove the cars hated the way they handled."
There was also that 6-wheeled F1 car. The idea was that more tires=more contact patch. At the end of the season, the driver quit the team because the car was so slow and he hated it.

Whenever someone tries to do something crazy-different from the pack, it always ends up failing. Teams are actually able to design their own bodies for the cars (within certain FIA regulations like crash resistance and max width), but they all look pretty much the same for a good reason; it's what works.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:31 AM   #56
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by campy View Post
There was also that 6-wheeled F1 car. The idea was that more tires=more contact patch. At the end of the season, the driver quit the team because the car was so slow and he hated it.
the elf? From what I learned it wasn't slow; it was horribly unreliable.
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh

Closed Thread

Tags
inbeforethelock