follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 06-01-2016, 06:55 PM   #239
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freerunner View Post
After purchasing brzedit you get two stock tunes, one has LC and FFS patches included.
Thanks, i asked the brzedit guy a few weeks ago but never heard anyhing back.

so are the lc\ffs patches available for all rom calid for all countries or just selected omes.

Are their any other enhancements like SD tuning or overboost ut etc. I asked the brzedit guy but no response.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:48 PM   #240
freerunner

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by renfield90 View Post
Do you get the source code for those patches?
Nope. Do you mean 'source code', 'separate binary patch' or 'origin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
so are the lc\ffs patches available for all rom calid for all countries or just selected omes.

Are their any other enhancements like SD tuning or overboost ut etc. I asked the brzedit guy but no response.
Don't know if lc\ffs is available for the other calids. I read somewhere in their forums that all calids are 'fully-supported' as an answer to a guy, who asked for support of asian calids, if I remember correctly.

Didn't get one of the other calid roms to sniff around , probably because I have not bought a pro-license.

Have not found any tables for SD or overboost stuff, but didn't search for it. I'll take a look tomorrow.
freerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:28 PM   #241
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Nope. Do you mean 'source code', 'separate binary patch' or 'origin'?
Yeah, I mean source code, like assembly or C/C++. Most open source tunes with a launch control patch do not provide exactly what I need, so I either need to write one from scratch or modify an existing one.

Or I can shell out the money for EcuTek/RaceRom which would give me what I need, but I think it's more fun to do it my way.

I suppose I could disassemble a binary patch but that's a lot more work since you lose all the symbol information.
renfield90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:44 PM   #242
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, I mean source code, like assembly or C/C++. Most open source tunes with a launch control patch do not provide exactly what I need, so I either need to write one from scratch or modify an existing one.

Or I can shell out the money for EcuTek/RaceRom which would give me what I need, but I think it's more fun to do it my way.

I suppose I could disassemble a binary patch but that's a lot more work since you lose all the symbol information.
i suspect that the brzedit dudes jusy hijacked the patches from the oft\romraider guys

just get an oft rom say A01G and return all tables to stock then do a hex compate with a stock rom , will give you the assembler code in hex then you will need IDA or similar to decipher it .

You could try asking td-d over at romraider for the code patches. But you also going to need to dissassemle rhe rom code to find where to hook it in and any other parameters you want to read or adjust, not a simple task.

No one has the source for the actual ecu code

The ecutek lc and ffs is definitly better especially the ffs, as it not just a single rpm limit it a variable rpm reduction based on your current rpm when clutch depressed and you can also alter the amount of ignition retard and the afr target and the resume delay
Old 06-02-2016, 02:11 AM   #243
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Quote:
i suspect that the brzedit dudes jusy hijacked the patches from the oft\romraider guys

just get an oft rom say A01G and return all tables to stock then do a hex compate with a stock rom , will give you the assembler code in hex then you will need IDA or similar to decipher it .

You could try asking td-d over at romraider for the code patches. But you also going to need to dissassemle rhe rom code to find where to hook it in and any other parameters you want to read or adjust, not a simple task.

No one has the source for the actual ecu code

The ecutek lc and ffs is definitly better especially the ffs, as it not just a single rpm limit it a variable rpm reduction based on your current rpm when clutch depressed and you can also alter the amount of ignition retard and the afr target and the resume delay
I'm a firmware engineer and entirely aware of what I'm signing up for. I get a sick satisfaction from doing things the torturous way.

Did the OFT guys get the patch from someone with an open source license or did they develop it themselves? If the latter, that's their bit of IP; I wouldn't feel ok reverse engineering it unless they have an open source license for it.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:32 AM   #244
freerunner

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Do they give you the source afterwards?

Quote:
Hijacked. Or just used. Difficult.
Where does hijacking begin?
Not giving credit for the authors?
Are the patches even licensed under _any_ license?

I'm just trying to polarize.

I'm a linux user for nearly 15 years, started with Suse 7.2

The only real open-source stuff I see is RomRaider (hello GPL), the vgitool and ztan's stuff. Perhaps the OFT for propagating open tunes, while not being open-source itself (I really dig the idea).
And of course you people who share their knowledge and/or tunes to make the world a better place.

Sure, Ecutek is technically better, look at that money machine that allows them being able to. But their intention stops after 'money', not freedom. Their business model is forcing everything to be dependent on it.

And while I'm ranting at it, brzedit's drm is crap as well!
freerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to freerunner For This Useful Post:
COO86L (06-02-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 03:25 AM   #245
steve99
Banned

Quote:
I'm a firmware engineer and entirely aware of what I'm signing up for. I get a sick satisfaction from doing things the torturous way.

Did the OFT guys get the patch from someone with an open source license or did they develop it themselves? If the latter, that's their bit of IP; I wouldn't feel ok reverse engineering it unless they have an open source license for it.
haha, yeah i had a look at reverse engineering that assempler code with IDA and it made my brain hurt just looking at it let alone trying to achieve anything.

im pretty sure a guy called Td-d on this fourum and on romraider does the lc\ffs patches for the oft guys Td-d is also the guy that does most of the definitions for romraider and ecuflash that makes the whole opensource thing possible and ztan did the flex fuel overboost and SD fueling work. most of those guys are happy to share what they have done .
Old 06-02-2016, 01:11 PM   #246
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Quote:
Do they give you the source afterwards?
No. EcuTek is entirely a closed system. But I wouldn't need the source - they provide exactly what I'm looking for with LC, which is the ability to turn the system on or off at will. The use case is to do a burn out in the staging area to warm the tires, then turn LC on for the actual start.

OFT's patch keeps LC on at all times until you are above the disable speed.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:15 PM   #247
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Quote:
haha, yeah i had a look at reverse engineering that assempler code with IDA and it made my brain hurt just looking at it let alone trying to achieve anything.

im pretty sure a guy called Td-d on this fourum and on romraider does the lc\ffs patches for the oft guys Td-d is also the guy that does most of the definitions for romraider and ecuflash that makes the whole opensource thing possible and ztan did the flex fuel overboost and SD fueling work. most of those guys are happy to share what they have done .
Thanks mate. I'll join the romraider forum this weekend when I have some time to work on this and ping him.