follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Old 12-28-2012, 07:03 PM   #8121
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
@IntotheOcean if you had kids and you had a lot of money, how would you feel about getting them a car or lending them some money for one? I was one of the only people without a car in high school and out of the kids who didn't have a car I probably had the most well off family, where everyone else was driving their new BMWs and MBs to school. My parents get me a lot of things but compared to the people I know they don't buy me nearly as much. Now that I'm in college my mom decided it would be okay to lend me some money for my car that I will pay her back for later, and I think I like this arrangement as I feel like I still "earned" it myself (even though all the other bills are paid). I'm not complaining as I'm very VERY fortunate, but if it were me, I would be a little more liberal than my parents about giving my own kids money for stuff just because a little goes a long way when you're in school and don't have much money to buy stuff with.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:21 PM   #8122
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
i see no problem when parents help their kids out by providing them a good solid foundation, such as, buying them a car, paying for their tuition, etc. it gives them a competitive edge.

everyone knows that it's tough to find a job in this economy. don't you want to see your kids succeed? making your kid earn every penny is an old way of thinking.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:32 PM   #8123
IntotheOcean

Drives: Sexy Frs Firestorm M/T
Thanked 1,636 Times in 760 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
So today I met Zack Ryder! It was a classic moment from Empire Records, Being that I work at FYE(Music store) and Always had a crush on him!
These photos do not do him justice!
And when I say classic I mean, I really wanted to bring him his lunch!
I look like poo but he doesnt
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to IntotheOcean For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (12-30-2012)
Old 12-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #8124
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Exactly, I know someone whose parents want him to pay for his 50k/year top name college tuition, half of it "upfront" (yes, he has to earn 100k while he's in school) and half later. Now he has some good credentials so he is not doing burger flipping/coffee pouring for $7 an hour trying to raise that much money, but he has to work a lot to earn money and it really sucks.

I think working a handful of hours a week (actual work where you can't be goofing off doing something else, if you have one of those sitting in library desk and study jobs it's easier) is fine but if there's no financial need, asking a student these days to be paying a significant amount of tuition themselves upfront puts them at a disadvantage compared to the kids that don't work.

Unfortunately, in America a car is by far the most convenient form of transport in most places so buying your kids cars is within reason, as long as it's not a brand new M5 that gets crashed by the spoiled brat.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:39 PM   #8125
IntotheOcean

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayau View Post
i see no problem when parents help their kids out by providing them a good solid foundation, such as, buying them a car, paying for their tuition, etc. it gives them a competitive edge.

everyone knows that it's tough to find a job in this economy. don't you want to see your kids succeed? making your kid earn every penny is an old way of thinking.

Of course
Having help is a big advantage! Its what helps you make something out of your life and get to where you want to be in life a lot faster and easier!
Dude free college education is something every kid should take advantage of.
But Its how the kids act afterwards, or how sheltered and naive they become thinking that they really know how hard it is to get that amount of money is what blows my mind.
I'm happy for those who are fortunate, good for them-but do they really need all that fancy stuff? Nope, that's what the job you get after college is for.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:39 PM   #8126
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheOcean View Post
Let's just assume here that child goes to college. We're looking at around 200k SO not only will the parents pay that amount-but they will also get a 30k car for that child too?

Whatever happen to character growth, working for the things you own. Getting job EXPERIENCE.
Now I'm not saying my friends are shitty people-that's why we are friends, they understand the value of a dollar. But since they were so sheltered they have 0 job experience and I feel sorry for them. And it's not them, it's like this on going theme on this forum.
When I'm a parent I plan on saving for my child's education and when they are in High School I will get them a used car under 13k. And I'd tell the kid-this is it. Fuck it up and you won't get another one. And when you go to college you will continue to use this.
I mean, isn't that more logical?
Man, people are really wealthy. I guess I'm just a sore loser cause I would kill to have something nice, college education and to not have to buy my mom a car.
My life is backwards. I should get a 3rd part time job.
Hey if I adopted you and made you a second driver on the FR-S you'd be all set. I agree about spoiling kids but as a parent I can say that it's great to reward your kids any way you can for their accomplishments. The people with the big bucks just do what is comfortable for them. My wife grew up in what I'd consider a difficult financial situation. She rose above it and has had a decent career of her own. Life is a huge journey.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:42 PM   #8127
Exhaust
UCanThrottleMyBody

Drives: 2015 GM 370z Sport
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
This whole not being able to buy alchohal law in maryland is bullshit. In texas I can buy whatever I want but because my ID is vertical, they cant sell to me... WTFFF
Old 12-28-2012, 07:44 PM   #8128
IntotheOcean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
Weren't you complaining about how your mom made you feel like shit for what you got her for xmas earlier?

I personally haven't organized my own finances to get the BRZ I want yet. But I know who the problem is there. Nothing to do with whether my step-siblings all got house down payments and weddings paid for. See the difference? Orbital's parents or his college don't affect my financial incompetence.

Life's not fair.
Yeah she was bummed she didn't get a better gift card, but I told her after I get my car I'm gonna help her save for hers so its all good.
The card I wrote made her cry lol guess I got too mushy
Old 12-28-2012, 07:45 PM   #8129
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhaust View Post
This whole not being able to buy alchohal law in maryland is bullshit. In texas I can buy whatever I want but because my ID is vertical, they cant sell to me... WTFFF
ROFL. Yeah, in MD you can be denied service for having a sideways license even if you're 21...but I thought that was for MD IDs only. Does your Texas license have an alcohol restriction on it, but you've recently turned 21 or are you flat out being denied service with a Texas ID?
Old 12-28-2012, 07:48 PM   #8130
Exhaust
UCanThrottleMyBody

Drives: 2015 GM 370z Sport
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
ROFL. Yeah, in MD you can be denied service for having a sideways license even if you're 21...but I thought that was for MD IDs only. Does your Texas license have an alcohol restriction on it, but you've recently turned 21 or are you flat out being denied service with a Texas ID?
Hell it might be both, I havent requested a new one yet because im so busy all the time, but yeah they said no matter what the state if its not their way theres no way. I'll prolly change it when I fly back later next week.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:58 PM   #8131
IntotheOcean

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
Hey if I adopted you and made you a second driver on the FR-S you'd be all set. I agree about spoiling kids but as a parent I can say that it's great to reward your kids any way you can for their accomplishments. The people with the big bucks just do what is comfortable for them. My wife grew up in what I'd consider a difficult financial situation. She rose above it and has had a decent career of her own. Life is a huge journey.
Thanks for that last bit. I honestly didn't know how many people got so much help in life.
I didn't mean to offend you guys on the forum, or stir the pot.
I'm really sorry.
I know I'll get to where I want to be in life, its just gonna be a lot harder and take a longer time. But Ill get there eventually. In the meantime Ill just turn my head at the kids who get nice handouts.
I keep hearing all these horror stories of kids who graduated college with so much debt, and unable to find a job...it scares me, my heart really goes out to them. I can only hope with good planning after I graduate I wont have to pay that much back-I wanted to keep my day job and go to school at night- If I pay as I go it might not be so bad.
We'll see what happens, I still have a lot of time.
The Following User Says Thank You to IntotheOcean For This Useful Post:
M-17 (12-29-2012)
Old 12-28-2012, 09:57 PM   #8132
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
@IntotheOcean

I've been earning a wage since I was 10. I used that money to pay for school supplies, clothes, and what ever entertainment I could afford. My mom left my father when I was 6 months old after she found him beating me. For the first few years after that, my childhood was fairly normal, but then my mother started using and things went down hill. After a childhood of my mom and her boy friends drinking, smoking and selling anything possible, police raids, looking for listening devices left by undercover cops, picking my mom up off the floor and checking to see if she was past out or overdosing, having her thrust a knife into my hand and begging me to kill her, and then finally leaving her boyfriend and leaving me with him when I was a teenager. I'm guessing my childhood was "worse" then yours. And I don't feel I'm exaggerating when I say my parents didn't give me anything.

Then again, I did learn a lot from my childhood and in that regard I don't regret it. It could have been better. But then I would've been a different person and it's impossible to say if that truly would have been better or not.

And I have ZERO doubt that there's someone on here that would envy my childhood over their own. My point is that there's always going to be someone worse off, better off, smarter, prettier, whatever. You gotta play the hand you were dealt, stop looking everyone at else's and leave the self pity at the door.

Also, university isn't the end all be all to a future.

Last edited by Calum; 12-30-2012 at 06:03 PM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Calum For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (12-30-2012), davesrave (12-29-2012), IntotheOcean (12-29-2012), Kilzod (12-29-2012), M-17 (12-29-2012), meWant (12-28-2012), Want.FR-S (12-28-2012)
Old 12-28-2012, 10:51 PM   #8133
bestwheelbase

Drives: 1985 P-Type
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,098 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
You gotta play the hand you were dealt, stop looking everyone else's and leave the self pity at the door.

@Calum telling it like it is.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bestwheelbase For This Useful Post:
Calum (12-29-2012), Dadhawk (12-30-2012), OrbitalEllipses (12-28-2012)
Old 12-28-2012, 11:13 PM   #8134
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,242 Times in 2,963 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
@IntotheOcean

I've been earning a wage since I was 10. I used that money to pay for school supplies, clothes, and what ever entertainment I could afford. My mom left my father when I was 6 months old after she found him beating me. For the first few years after that, my childhood was fairly normal, but then my mother started using and things went down hill. After a childhood of my mom and her boy friends drinking, smoking and selling anything possible, police raids, looking for listening devices left by undercover cops, picking my mom up off the floor and checking to see if she was past out or overdosing, having her thrust a knife into my hand and begging me to kill her, and then finally leaving her boyfriend and leaving me with him when I was a teenager. I'm guessing my childhood was "worse" then yours. And I don't feel I'm exaggerating when I say my parents didn't give me anything.

Then again, I did learn a lot from my childhood and in that regard I don't regret it. It could have been better. But then I would've been a different person and it's impossible to say if that truly would have been better or not.

And I have ZERO doubt that there's someone on here that would envy my childhood over their own. My point is that there's always going to be someone worse off, better off, smarter, prettier, whatever. You gotta play the hand you were dealt, stop looking everyone else's and leave the self pity at the door.

Damn. Thanks for putting things in perspective....something we could all use. Glad you made it through all that.

- Andrew
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
bestwheelbase (12-29-2012), Calum (12-29-2012), meWant (12-29-2012)
Closed Thread

Tags
221whp, :popcorn:, autobahnned, bringbackthebutts, brucelee, chucknorris, cutiepiepoppoppocorn, docking and snoodling, don'tbesadintotheocean, epic funnies, everyoneignoresmyposts, fuck yeah, funny thread tag, go_a_way1 was here, go_a_waycopiedspecialk, hey youse guys!, hoonigans, i am supreme., i like chocolate milk, i like to poop a lot, i like turtles, ichitaco, insertjokehere, invadethistread39erstyle, kr-s have my babies, kr-s is a faaggot, kr-s is a loser, mythbeliever, myunclesaid..., only the strong survive, postheredontbotherashrink, rules_of_nature, sklimo liked it, skylineislyfe, special_k was here, tagageddon 2016, thetagofreason, titsorgtfo, troz, whathappenedtothetags?