follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-01-2022, 04:29 PM   #15
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric342 View Post
Oil pickup did have silicone, and when I removed the timing cover the tech had used way too much of it. I'm installing a new short block and moving on. It is what it is.
yep just git er done. Whoever does the new motor be absolutely sure they know the process for the sealant.

You may want to look into an IAG shortblock. Way better internals and the block is machined for better oiling. That and a Killer Bee oil pickup and you have as bulletproof motor as possible. When I did mine it was about an extra grand but IMO well worth it
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 04:42 PM   #16
ric342
FR-S driver

Drives: ULTRAMARINE Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyW View Post
yep just git er done. Whoever does the new motor be absolutely sure they know the process for the sealant.

You may want to look into an IAG shortblock. Way better internals and the block is machined for better oiling. That and a Killer Bee oil pickup and you have as bulletproof motor as possible. When I did mine it was about an extra grand but IMO well worth it
Doing the work myself, Ill be sure to be careful. I did go with an IAG stage 2.5 closed deck short block. Just waiting on all the components to come in, updates soon to come.
Old 11-01-2022, 05:48 PM   #17
TommyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric342 View Post
Doing the work myself, Ill be sure to be careful. I did go with an IAG stage 2.5 closed deck short block. Just waiting on all the components to come in, updates soon to come.
Smart move. Be sure to adhere to their break in instructions. I’m at 10,000 miles and 10 track days and the motor is just fantastic. Purrs like a kitten. That with the header and tune and the other suspension and tire upgrades and the car is just fantastic. With the IAG it makes the motor more like if Toyota had built it with their over engineering of things.
Old 11-05-2022, 07:35 PM   #18
TommyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
They wouldn't lose money so much as limit the revenue they could potentially make. In the end when you are working flat rate the tech is only getting paid for the book time it takes to do the job. If it's 10 hours and he gets it done in 20, he is paid for 10 and the shop lost the chance to bill 10 more hours he could have been doing something else. If he gets it done in 8 and it pays 10, he gets 10 and that is two extra hours he can be working on something else.

You said you build houses for a living, you know what it is like. You bid a job, and unless there is some circumstance that requires the bid be adjusted, you get paid what you bid.
well regardless there’s a time element assigned to it which will determine the outcome. Faster is not a good thing with this repair.