follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-03-2013, 09:22 PM   #1
rbizzle004

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exhaust MP/FP (flange/spring bolts) install help!

I installed the Nameless axle back and the front pipe over pipe combo. Need some help sealing the flange for the front pipe and mid pipe. I cannot get the spring bolts to seal it all the way.

One side were the bolt is wont seal fully but I can get the other side just fine. I'm having an issue getting the problem side bolt tensioned all the way down. In the process the threads of the bolt snapped. I have it temporarily rigged with an improper length bolt. Will be calling the dealership in the morning hoping they have some in stock.

Any advice on how to get the spring bolts tightened all the way down? I'm about to give up and just take get to a shop and pay them to tighten the bolts down and have it seal properly. Any advice would be appreciated.
rbizzle004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:37 PM   #2
sierra

Drives: Skoda Yeti DSG diesel 4x4
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Surely the purpose of the springs is to supply enough tension to seal the joint but with some flexibility. Are you tightening then all the way down so the springs are fully compressed?
sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:06 PM   #3
rbizzle004

That's the problem I couldn't get the one side fully compressed, which caused the threads on the bolt to snap trying to get it fully compressed.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:09 PM   #4
mad_sb

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
I just installed my over/front pipe last night and did not have any issues. i went in this order:

1. get the pipe in postion and on the header flange using the stock gasket
2. loosely put in the single front pipe support bolt
3. tighten the two botls at the header flange going a little at a time and alternating to snug them down evenly
4. install the spring bolts tighten them down a little at a time alternating between the two
5. tighten the center support bolt

you did remember to take the dounut gasket off the stock front pipe and put it on the nameless pipe correct? If not the joint will be loose when the bolts are bottomed out.

Did you already install the axle back? Did you use the nameless bushings? You always start at the front and work towards the back of the car when tightening down the bolts. My guess is you took up too much slack in the axle back section to get the midpipe sealed to the front pipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbizzle004 View Post
I installed the Nameless axle back and the front pipe over pipe combo. Need some help sealing the flange for the front pipe and mid pipe. I cannot get the spring bolts to seal it all the way.

One side were the bolt is wont seal fully but I can get the other side just fine. I'm having an issue getting the problem side bolt tensioned all the way down. In the process the threads of the bolt snapped. I have it temporarily rigged with an improper length bolt. Will be calling the dealership in the morning hoping they have some in stock.

Any advice on how to get the spring bolts tightened all the way down? I'm about to give up and just take get to a shop and pay them to tighten the bolts down and have it seal properly. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:44 PM   #5
rbizzle004

The first night I just installed the axle back and took off the factory over pipe and front pipe. Then today I installed the nameless FP/OP.

I had no issues bolting the OP to the header and I did alternate each bolt as I tightened everything for the whole exhaust and yes I used the factory gasket.

I will disconnect the axle back from the mid pipe and try to tighten down the FP/MP flange and see if that fixes the problem. Guess that make since wish i would have thought of that sooner. I'm just using the factory bushings.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:47 PM   #6
rbizzle004

Correction I did not use the other gasket for the FP and MP. Is it supposed to go there? I thought if came off the factory OP/FP flange?
Old 03-03-2013, 10:51 PM   #7
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Correction I did not use the other gasket for the FP and MP. Is it supposed to go there? I thought if came off the factory OP/FP flange?
I sheared one of those bolts, but it was because I did not put the donut gasket in Nameless DP, I left in in the stock one

Once I added the Donut gasket, it sealed perfectly.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:55 PM   #8
mad_sb

Quote:
You have to use the factory doughnut gasket that connects the front pipe to the midpipe. It needs to slide off the mid pipe end of the factory front pipe and onto the midpipe end of the nameless front pipe.

Also, if you look at the spring bolts, they bottom out on the shoulder just above the tend of the threads so they can only be tightened so far. If you are shearing one of them it is because the bolt has bottomed out and is at the end of it's travel. Once you have the doughnut gasket on there you should be able to run the spring bolts down until they bottom out and you will have a factory seal.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:18 AM   #9
rbizzle004

Gotta love rookie mistakes. This was my first exhaust system I installed. I learned a lot. And yes my entire problem was because I forgot the donut gasket for the FP/MP.

Thank you everyone for your help. The exhaust sounds and looks amazing.
The Following User Says Thank You to rbizzle004 For This Useful Post:
mad_sb (03-04-2013)
Old 03-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #10
mad_sb

we all make them from time to time