follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-22-2012, 08:05 PM   #15
draggin_az
Small penis big dreams

Drives: '13 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezz View Post
Bahahaaha, please, people are already stuffing 20" wheels under the arches of these things. Every popular car gets bought by tards.
20's were big in 1999 and with the right tire would look right

im talking 22's, 24's, 26's.....basicly a rim so big you have to put a lift kit on. then give it a paint theme of skittles, snickers, family guy, pac man, superman or something equivalent.
draggin_az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:09 PM   #16
Nezz
86DESU

Drives: 86 GTS, S13, CB9
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by draggin_az View Post
20's were big in 1999 and with the right tire would look right

im talking 22's, 24's, 26's.....basicly a rim so big you have to put a lift kit on. then give it a paint theme of skittles, snickers, family guy, pac man, superman or something equivalent.
I know donks-- I'm just saying it's early days yet. But seriously, 20" rims weigh waaaay too much and you're throwing the balance away. Unsprung weight affects performance and suspension wear, as many a donk owner has experienced when their box chevies throw wheels through shop windows-- even nineteens are pushing it, eighteens are ideal for this car if you want max width.
Nezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:11 PM   #17
draggin_az
Small penis big dreams

Drives: '13 Scion FR-S
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezz View Post
I know donks-- I'm just saying it's early days yet. But seriously, 20" rims weigh waaaay too much and you're throwing the balance away. Unsprung weight affects performance and suspension wear, as many a donk owner has experienced when their box chevies throw wheels through shop windows-- even nineteens are pushing it, eighteens are ideal for this car if you want max width.
like all kids with money to throw away, i'll say it for them "form over function"
draggin_az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:15 PM   #18
Tigranakert

Drives: Hot Lava FRS 2013
@Gen: I agree in that sense completely with you.

@showbe: Bro if you change everything on the car, how did you like it in the first place? Improving everything, will make the car better, but changing everything makes a different car...

There is nothing wrong with making the car your own like you said.

and in another sense, if you buy a house and improve it, that's great, but if you level it to zero and build it again, you can't say you loved that house...
Tigranakert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:17 PM   #19
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
I think what is unique about the twins, especially the FR-S, is that what they do and the general package is so unique at its price point in this market (North America, anyway). So, since its so much less money than say, a Cayman, that I don't mind raising the bar and upgrading to somewhere between the Cayman and the plain stock car. The car is good enough that I don't feel like I'm spending good money after bad.

The one thing that sucks (for me, anyway) is that for example if you fork out almost $3k for coil overs you will have essentially purchased costly major components twice, though you only get value for one. Luckily I like the stock wheels. Tires seem lile a good upgrade but again I will drift the stockies and get some value from them before replacing. One could easily have thousands worth of unused components that get minimal value selling after all the parts swaps.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:20 PM   #20
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
The OP is definitely an old-school car guy, hehe. I like it

We won't be unleashing crazy HP gains from a simple boost controller or any comparable minor N/A modification, but the chassis is definitely the best part of this car. It's a lot harder to make a chassis more capable than it is to simply add power, and that's what I appreciate about this car. 200hp and 2,7xxlbs isn't groundbreaking for performance standards, but it's enough to have fun in and there's always room to grow, thanks to the aftermarket. The low weight is the best part! We're not struggling to get below 3,000lbs with expensive dry carbon and titanium parts, because the car already weighs well under 3,000lbs, even with a leather/alcantara interior, heated seats, navi, keyless access and all those features!

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:20 PM   #21
Tigranakert

Drives: Hot Lava FRS 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by draggin_az View Post
b/c honestly stock sucks no matter what kind of car you have (unless its a zenvo st1)

almost every car can use the basic mods.....tint, coilovers, intake, tune, exhaust, and maybe an aftermarket radio/speakers.

but at the end of the day its your car. mod it to your tastes.

thank god and i mean.......THANK GOD these cars will hopefully never see donk status.
I guess you are right if you look at it that way
Tigranakert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:21 PM   #22
sho220

Drives: FR-S MT & FJ Cruiser
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigranakert View Post
When does it stop? Did you not look at the car when you bought it, or did you go to a junkyard and saw potential in this car. The car is brand new, and no offense if you have the money to do it and it fits your style, but in my opinion it's wrong.

I mean why not get another car then if you don't like anything the way it is...
Do you own your own home?

sho220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:27 PM   #23
sho220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigranakert View Post
Improving everything, will make the car better, but changing everything makes a different car...

There is nothing wrong with making the car your own like you said.

and in another sense, if you buy a house and improve it, that's great, but if you level it to zero and build it again, you can't say you loved that house...
Not a single owner has changed "everything"...

Old 10-22-2012, 08:31 PM   #24
sofrsnsokleen
GEARS!!???

Drives: raven black 2013 scion fr-s
Location: the southeast side of san antonio, where the players play!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by danthemann5 View Post
Nope, you're not the only one. I came from a Mazda 3 to the FR-S. I read these forums and see all the mods and ideas, and I start to get excited. I start to think about all the things I'm going to change or upgrade to make my car better or faster. Then it hits me...I don't need to change anything, I'm really happy with it just the way it is.

aww c'mon don't knock the 3!! It was a decent car, best in its price range imo,lol.

Gave mine to my sister because i didn't need a car for a while.
sofrsnsokleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:32 PM   #25
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
how do people even tell how good a chassis is? is there a way to objectively remove that piece of the equation from the euphoria generated by the suspension, engine, transmission, etx?
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:52 PM   #26
Carban
Grease Monkey

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
how do people even tell how good a chassis is? is there a way to objectively remove that piece of the equation from the euphoria generated by the suspension, engine, transmission, etx?
Technically, those are all part of a car's chassis. its how its all held together and supported. If you love driving, have driven all kinds of cars, wrenched on them, and understood how they all work in harmony, it becomes very obvious on how a chassis behaves. Noticing things like the cars rigidity, natural behavior or predictability during hard driving (like drifting, cornering, high speeds etc.) is a way of feeling the chassis. Also, the chassis can determine a lot of the cars long-term wear so we'll have to wait and see w/ the frs.
Very good question tho, hope this helps.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:54 PM   #27
sho220

Quote:
how do people even tell how good a chassis is?
By quoting magazine reviews! You should know this stuff...

The Following User Says Thank You to sho220 For This Useful Post:
mike2100 (10-23-2012)
Old 10-22-2012, 08:58 PM   #28
Flow

Drives: DGMBRZ
Quote:
I'm just learning all this stuff about cars, and was wondering this same thing... and began to think 'it's got a good chassis' is short hand for the way the chassis was designed to achieve a low center of gravity/good balance...?
Flow is offline   Reply With Quote