follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 04-03-2017, 01:17 PM   #29
g0lds

Drives: 14 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Got my unit on Sunday and installed it. I went with the exact one you did cole. Your thread has been extremely helpful. I did have to shave down the plastic portion of the head unit in addition to modifying the stock brackets to get a decent fitment of the unit and the factory trim. I also am going to get the metra filler panels (Metra P/N 95-8202) to close out the rest of the bezel because as it sits now there is a 1/4" gap on each side of the HU.

Thanks for the info cole!
g0lds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to g0lds For This Useful Post:
Cole (04-03-2017)
Old 04-03-2017, 01:33 PM   #30
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0lds View Post
Got my unit on Sunday and installed it. I went with the exact one you did cole. Your thread has been extremely helpful. I did have to shave down the plastic portion of the head unit in addition to modifying the stock brackets to get a decent fitment of the unit and the factory trim. I also am going to get the metra filler panels (Metra P/N 95-8202) to close out the rest of the bezel because as it sits now there is a 1/4" gap on each side of the HU.

Thanks for the info cole!
Thanks for the feedback!

I believe I have those same metra panels. It seems as though they're a bit too wide to fit on the sides of the headunit and have it all fit into the dash panel. I suppose you could move the panels back a bit, but it wouldn't be flush if you do that. I'm still slowly trying to figure things out, but now that I'm back to work I have way less time to sit in my garage and stare at the radio assembly in an attempt to figure it out.

I hope that if everything works out for you with the panels, you'll post up in here with details.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:07 AM   #31
g0lds

You were absolutely correct. Out of the box the metra panels are too wide. I shaved some plastic off with the Dremel to get them to fit the OEM dash trim. I may work on shaving a little more material with a hand file to finish it off a little nicer because, as-is, some of the edges are rough from the speed of the Dremel.

Last edited by g0lds; 04-05-2017 at 09:25 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to g0lds For This Useful Post:
Cole (04-05-2017)
Old 04-07-2017, 05:03 PM   #32
Vin

Drives: 2012 GT86 EU-spec
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I went with exactly the same HU and it works perfect! I've succesfully wired my OEM rear view camera (6V) using a 12V->6V voltage step down. I'm still waiting for the LTE dongle, the side pieces and the usb converter, but so far so good and I'm really loving this install. The head unit is very fast, boots instantly and great at multitasking

I used the oem brackets for mounting, I did dremel the dimples of, I also removed a bit of material on the radio surrounding (top).

Also the sound quality improved a lot when comparing it with the stock Toyota TAS300 that was fitted on the GT86

Last edited by Vin; 04-07-2017 at 05:14 PM.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:34 AM   #33
g0lds

I seem to be having an issue where I lose my radio presets every time I restart the car. From what I've seen/tried to understand from the Joying website you need to swap the red and yellow wires on the harness to prevent this from happening. Just an FYI to those who install a Joying unit
Old 04-12-2017, 03:17 PM   #34
Vin

So I have mine completely working:

Using the Joying Toyota harness the FM radio also works, furthermore a Joying USB adapter makes sure the OEM USB also works. I'm also using the Joying 4G LTE dongle, it's not super fast, but fast enough for Spotify and navigation. Very happy with my purchase

Small movie:

Old 04-16-2017, 11:09 AM   #35
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
FWIW I had the previous 4.4 version of the joying/joyous headunit installed and did a small writeup in a previous thread. I just upgraded to this unit and the harness is exactly the same... a true plug and play swap

Just in case anyone is interested in upgrading from the Android 4.4 model....

I've only had it for a day but these are the things this unit fixed compared to the 4.4 kitkat version

Sound quality improved with base/no EQ settings (old unit required a bit of mucking about to make it sound decent/accurate)

Bluetooth audio quality when streaming music + metadata (Old model did not support metadata/song name display via bluetooth when streaming, old model also had distortion/clipping/clicks when streaming via bluetooth)

Startup time is vastly improved

Make sure to install latest update from joying https://www.carjoying.com/Joying-blog/59.html

A welcome upgrade from the 4.4 version (side note, who wants to buy my old 4.4 unit for cheap lol)
2019 Series.Grey STI - Stage1+ SF
DJCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:24 AM   #36
ka-titties

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
So I have mine completely working:

Using the Joying Toyota harness the FM radio also works, furthermore a Joying USB adapter makes sure the OEM USB also works. I'm also using the Joying 4G LTE dongle, it's not super fast, but fast enough for Spotify and navigation. Very happy with my purchase

Small movie:

Do you still have to pay a separate subscription fee for the Joying 4G dongle through your wireless provider?
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:54 PM   #37
Vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-titties View Post
Do you still have to pay a separate subscription fee for the Joying 4G dongle through your wireless provider?
No, in the Netherlands you get a free data sim with your Vodafone subscription, my current data plan is 27 GB, so it's plenty for me.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:38 PM   #38
ka-titties

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
No, in the Netherlands you get a free data sim with your Vodafone subscription, my current data plan is 27 GB, so it's plenty for me.
Woooooow.... JEALOUS! Except for all that cold weather
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:33 PM   #39
Cole
Not a troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCarbine View Post
FWIW I had the previous 4.4 version of the joying/joyous headunit installed and did a small writeup in a previous thread. I just upgraded to this unit and the harness is exactly the same... a true plug and play swap

Just in case anyone is interested in upgrading from the Android 4.4 model....

I've only had it for a day but these are the things this unit fixed compared to the 4.4 kitkat version

Sound quality improved with base/no EQ settings (old unit required a bit of mucking about to make it sound decent/accurate)

Bluetooth audio quality when streaming music + metadata (Old model did not support metadata/song name display via bluetooth when streaming, old model also had distortion/clipping/clicks when streaming via bluetooth)

Startup time is vastly improved

Make sure to install latest update from joying https://www.carjoying.com/Joying-blog/59.html

A welcome upgrade from the 4.4 version (side note, who wants to buy my old 4.4 unit for cheap lol)
Son of a bitch. Im bootlooped now
Old 04-25-2017, 06:57 PM   #40
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
Son of a bitch. Im bootlooped now
Did you have a custom rom or anything on it before upgrade
2019 Series.Grey STI - Stage1+ SF
DJCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:12 PM   #41
Cole
Not a troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCarbine View Post
Did you have a custom rom or anything on it before upgrade
Nope. Totally stock, can't seem to figure out how to get to the bootloader or recovery screen either. Guess I should try and find the previous version stock hardware.

Edit: Un-bootlooped now. Went back to a previous version, flashed it, and it worked. Seemed to have lost the launcher and radio APK though

Last edited by Cole; 04-25-2017 at 08:37 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:42 PM   #42
Cole
Not a troll

So, I ended up hearing back from Joying support about the bootloop problem. Needless to say, I won't be going to them for any support, ever again unless my head unit dies and I'm within warranty. Here is the exchange so far:

"Hello,

Recently I tried to update the firmware on my head unit (CA-JY-UL124N2) to the newest one. It has resulted in a boot loop, and I cannot get to the recovery to load a back up. What steps can I take to fix it?

Thank you,
Cole"

"Hi Friend,

Thanks for your kindly contact.

If you purchased from our website or amazon or aliexpress, could you suggest us the order number ?
if you purchased from the ebay, could you please send us the screen shot of your paypal business recording ?
we need to check which head unit you purchased and confirm the business recording .

what do you mean that can not get to the recovery to load a back up ? could you send a picture for explaining to us ?

Hope your reply and then we will help you .
Thanks
Candy"

I don't know if it's a translation problem, but it would seem to me that Candy doesn't know a whole lot about the way Android operates