follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 02-18-2014, 09:49 PM   #85
DriftEightSix
Pegasus White

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
This guy knows whats up. All people seem to care about are the peak numbers. Give me quick spool, flat torque, and linear power any day.
How do I achieve this!?
Old 02-18-2014, 09:51 PM   #86
Boss Paco
Subaru Certified Sales

Drives: '13 BRZ Premium, '05 WRX STi
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftEightSix View Post
How do I achieve this!?
Properly configured setup. Know your goal and build toward it. Ask an expert if you don't know how to reach your destination for assistance.

[Subaru WRX STi] Benson Block - Kelford Cams - PTE6466 - ID2000s - AEM - E85
[Subaru BRZ] Speed by Design Turbo Kit - Invidia N1 - BC Racing BR Coilovers - Rota RT5s
[Subaru WRX] Prodrive - Subaru Tecnica International - APS - Tein - Rota Titans
"The only thing that I trust in this world is cars!" - Don 'The Goods' Ready
Boss Paco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:37 PM   #87
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Paco View Post
Know your goal
Know your goal...like its going to stay in one place lol
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cdrazic93 For This Useful Post:
mrk1 (02-19-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 10:41 PM   #88
Boss Paco
Subaru Certified Sales

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrazic93 View Post
Know your goal...like its going to stay in one place lol
Maybe goal can be swapped for expectations?

[Subaru BRZ] Speed by Design Turbo Kit - Invidia N1 - BC Racing BR Coilovers - Rota RT5s
The Following User Says Thank You to Boss Paco For This Useful Post:
cdrazic93 (02-18-2014)
Old 02-19-2014, 03:31 AM   #89
Coheed

Drives: DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD_07 View Post
Given all the dynos we've seen with the gtx2867r we know that this turbo works great on this platform but it seems like everyone is skipping the gtx3067r and jumping straight to a gtx3071 or gtx3076. Is this simply for the future proof overhead? The gtx3067r does have a little more room than the gtx28. I'm curious if anyone has tried the gtx3067r.
The GTX2867r has been used by many with good results, but the ns111 turbine is best suited to the 63r compressor. The turbine starts to choke when using the larger compressors, but on some engines it has decent results. It's certainly much better than the gt2871r! The GTX2867r is a pretty well matched turbo with lots of potential.

Likewise, the T30 wheel used in the GT30 is well suited for the gtx67r compressor, or even the GTX3071r compressor. But the turbine is overwhelmed by the flow of the 76mm compressor in standard 6 blade or the 11 blade form. The turbine is simply too small imho, and you'd be better suited to the T350 turbine for the 76mm wheel. The GTX3576r is a great turbo, with near perfect balance.

Managing the backpressure on these setups will help keep temps down, and the NA profile of cams will like the free-flowing exhaust wheels. It's my expectation and opinion that the GTX3576 with a .82 exhaust housing will be an absolute riot to drive and perform excellently. 600whp potential with great response.

If you are looking for the absolutely most responsive turbo for 300-330whp, I would probably suggest the disco potato. I haven't tried the GTX2860rs or the GTX2863r personally, but have seen some miatas with these fitted making ridiculous power for low boost and just nasty responsive.
Coheed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coheed For This Useful Post:
diss7 (02-19-2014), TRD_07 (02-19-2014)
Old 02-19-2014, 10:22 AM   #90
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftEightSix View Post
How do I achieve this!?
Well the GT2871R in my Full Blown base kit got me a flat 250+ ft-lbs from 4100 RPM to 6500 RPM:

You won't find any of the superchargers producing a curve like that. This was achieved with around 12 psi of boost. A slightly larger turbo could probably hold the torque higher into the upper RPM range as well.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:41 PM   #91
diss7
Banned

Drives: AE86, 2x GT86, TE27
Thanked 1,179 Times in 522 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coheed View Post
The GTX2867r has been used by many with good results, but the ns111 turbine is best suited to the 63r compressor. The turbine starts to choke when using the larger compressors, but on some engines it has decent results. It's certainly much better than the gt2871r! The GTX2867r is a pretty well matched turbo with lots of potential.

Likewise, the T30 wheel used in the GT30 is well suited for the gtx67r compressor, or even the GTX3071r compressor. But the turbine is overwhelmed by the flow of the 76mm compressor in standard 6 blade or the 11 blade form. The turbine is simply too small imho, and you'd be better suited to the T350 turbine for the 76mm wheel. The GTX3576r is a great turbo, with near perfect balance.

Managing the backpressure on these setups will help keep temps down, and the NA profile of cams will like the free-flowing exhaust wheels. It's my expectation and opinion that the GTX3576 with a .82 exhaust housing will be an absolute riot to drive and perform excellently. 600whp potential with great response.

If you are looking for the absolutely most responsive turbo for 300-330whp, I would probably suggest the disco potato. I haven't tried the GTX2860rs or the GTX2863r personally, but have seen some miatas with these fitted making ridiculous power for low boost and just nasty responsive.
There's a lot in this thread I disagree with, but I agree with this post.

I had a gt2860rs on my s15 and it was an epic street car. I swapped it out for a gt3076r and didn't like it at all. It's why I've chosen a gtx2863r for mine. The advice I was given was similar to the above, and that I should go to a gtx3067r if I wanted a bit more.

The problem is that responsive is so subjective. I glazed over a post saying that 14psi at 4500rpm is responsive; and for them that may be, but that certainly isn't what I'd call responsive.

Personally, I think there is a difference in what the term street car really means. To me, it's driving around the streets. To others, it's highway pulls.
diss7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:52 PM   #92
diss7
Banned

Drives: AE86, 2x GT86, TE27
Thanked 1,179 Times in 522 Posts
I'll also add that this motor isn't snake oil. It is just a very efficient modern engine.

Sure, you might put a 600hp turbo on it, run it at 350hp, and think that it's responsive, and for you it might be. But you're kidding yourself if you think you have anything over a well chosen 400hp rated turbo making the same 350hp. The only thing the first example has is scope for later power needs.

I would encourage anyone that is seriously thinking of choosing a turbo to learn how to size one correctly using maps, and not take opinions from those running over sized turbos, who IMO are either giving biased opinions to justify their own purchase, or only interested in highway pulls.
diss7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:18 PM   #93
Ironsquid
King of Kiwi Palace

Drives: Faster than you
Quote:
Originally Posted by diss7 View Post
I'll also add that this motor isn't snake oil. It is just a very efficient modern engine.

Sure, you might put a 600hp turbo on it, run it at 350hp, and think that it's responsive, and for you it might be. But you're kidding yourself if you think you have anything over a well chosen 400hp rated turbo making the same 350hp. The only thing the first example has is scope for later power needs.

I would encourage anyone that is seriously thinking of choosing a turbo to learn how to size one correctly using maps, and not take opinions from those running over sized turbos, who IMO are either giving biased opinions to justify their own purchase, or only interested in highway pulls.
Find me one 86 owner thinking about turbo options that drives around on the street below 4,000 rpm under WOT and pretends redline is 4500.

Drivability on the low end has NOTHING to do with the size of the turbo and you are severely mistaken.

Its like you're trying to re-enforce the idea that smaller turbos are better when it's already been debunked on this car. Better meaning more efficient power, cooling, driveline strain, driveability at low speeds, list goes on.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:44 PM   #94
jamesm
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by diss7 View Post

you've very, very obviously never actually tuned or even driven in one of these cars equipped with the turbos you speak of.

you simply cannot make the same amount of horsepower on a 'properly sized' 28xx turbo that you can with a 30r or 35r on pump gas reliably. i know this, from experience. and yes, this engine is remarkable in the way it is able to spool these 'huge' turbos. there is almost no perceptible difference in 'lag' between my 2867r and a 3076r. the 3582r doesn't add much on top of that.

and xx psi @ xxxx rpm does not effectively quantify how responsive a turbo feels. the t3/t4 hybrids build more boost at lower rpm than the gtx's (maybe, depends which ones you're comparing), yet feel far less responsive.

speak from experience. if you were, you wouldn't be saying the things that you are.
jamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:00 PM   #95
mrk1

Drives: Sterling BRZ Ltd
Thanked 1,389 Times in 671 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I've done lots of research and not on forums, info straight from Garrett/Precision. I can read/plot maps just fine. In the end I still went with what in my opinion felt right. Because at the end of the day it's all personal opinion.

At the end of the day I purchased a turbo that is larger then I would have originally thought but that's the fun part. Learning, trying new things, take my head out of formulas and paper work, and just drive the thing. (Now if it would stop snowing)

No one has some great wealth of knowledge of what these motors will do so we are all just going on hunchs and guess's regardless of what the math says. Don't get me wrong I do my math homework but it's not the end all be all of decisions, the drive is.

GT28RS - eBoost2 - 3.91 Final Drive - Supra LSD
mrk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:08 PM   #96
Ironsquid
King of Kiwi Palace

Drives: Faster than you
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk1 View Post
I've done lots of research and not on forums, info straight from Garrett/Precision. I can read/plot maps just fine. In the end I still went with what in my opinion felt right. Because at the end of the day it's all personal opinion.
Well said personal preference. But alot of what im seeing in this thread are people claiming big turbos arent drivable, a waste, unbearably laggy, etc.

I urge people in this thread please do research, I mean actual research, not regurgitated forum posts. Dont claim things you dont know about and please for the love of god dont over exaggerate or mistake low end power for low end city driving response, they are two different things. Oh and dont apply what you know about low compression turbo motors to this one.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:10 PM   #97
Boss Paco
Subaru Certified Sales

Garage
If you aren't running a 6466, you're a *****.

The Following User Says Thank You to Boss Paco For This Useful Post:
Ironsquid (02-19-2014)
Old 02-19-2014, 06:13 PM   #98
spdbydesignchris

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Paco View Post
If you aren't running a 6466, you're a *****.

That's why I run 2 on the GTR, haha.
spdbydesignchris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spdbydesignchris For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (02-19-2014)