follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-18-2019, 04:02 PM   #29
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodalenko View Post
Also; does the Giken negate the need to use Whiteline style diff inserts to stiffen the mounts? Now that I think about it I think I saw you had them in fitted in your car during the Giken install. Is the NVH any worse with the Giken and Diff mount inserts?

Nope. You still need to stiffen up the diff mounts to lessen how much it moves under load.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:53 PM   #30
justinco
btr.life

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,094 Times in 491 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwd View Post
Hey Justin, did you have to change the side bearing shims at all? I'm assuming not by the video.
I did not.

Quote:
Everything I read including other install articles for the Giken show and mention that backlash is checked and may need adjustment yet you installed yours without, apparently, checking backlash whatsoever. Is there any whine or noise, apart from chatter when cornering, at all? Is it as silent as the OEM? Tossing up between the Giken and the Cusco but if the Giken is a DIY v Cusco being a pro instal job, I could spend the extra the on buying Giken and instal myself.

Also; does the Giken negate the need to use Whiteline style diff inserts to stiffen the mounts? Now that I think about it I think I saw you had them in fitted in your car during the Giken install. Is the NVH any worse with the Giken and Diff mount inserts?
So keep in mind my install might not apply to absolutely everyone. If it seems out of wack, you should probably go through the full process to be sure.

My OS Giken contact (who is also a friend, and is also on these forums) instructed me to drop it right in. I have other friends (also on the forum) who have swapped the OSG diff in and out multiple times and did not have to do anything other than pull and replace. YMMV.

My diff is quiet, there might be a little whine when slowing but that's about it. It clunked A LOT with the Motul fluid in there, nice and quiet once switched to the proper OS 250R.

The NVH did not change after the OSG diff was installed. I still recommend the diff inserts regardless of what diff you have in there, it makes a big difference.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:39 PM   #31
Breadman

Drives: 2017 BRZ w/PP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
really fucking dumb question, how beneficial would this be in winter weather? took my car to an empty lot to play around in the snow today and was thinking on the way home good thing i didnt get stuck. saw this thread and wondered.
Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Breadman For This Useful Post:
jcw99 (09-10-2021)
Old 01-18-2019, 08:46 PM   #32
justinco
btr.life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadman View Post
really fucking dumb question, how beneficial would this be in winter weather? took my car to an empty lot to play around in the snow today and was thinking on the way home good thing i didnt get stuck. saw this thread and wondered.
Your stock Torsen is just fine.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:06 PM   #33
Breadman

Drives: 2017 BRZ w/PP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinco View Post
Your stock Torsen is just fine.
luckily im not dumb enough to put that to the test tomorrow
Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:32 AM   #34
Bodalenko
Steve Bodalenko

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
I still recommend the diff inserts regardless of what diff you have in there, it makes a big difference.
I had them in and took them out due to NVH thru the drive train but I have the subframe inserts, gearbox inserts, shift springs, and the IRP shifter all adding to it...

Yes they make a huge difference and if you can put up with the mild side effects are well worth doing.
Bodalenko is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bodalenko For This Useful Post:
jcw99 (01-04-2022), justinco (01-19-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 10:48 AM   #35
bhmax

Drives: 13 BRZ, 16 FiST, 05 WRX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I had them in and took them out due to NVH thru the drive train but I have the subframe inserts, gearbox inserts, shift springs, and the IRP shifter all adding to it...

Yes they make a huge difference and if you can put up with the mild side effects are well worth doing.
It’s been written elsewhere here, but a lot of us including myself have left out the bushings (of the total Whiteline setup) closest to the head of the vertical diff bolts. It surprisingly removed a lot of the noise for me. Another one for me was the trans insert. It wasn’t WL brand, but noise went down after I replaced it with an STI mount.
bhmax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bhmax For This Useful Post:
Bodalenko (02-01-2019), jcw99 (01-04-2022)
Old 09-24-2019, 05:33 PM   #36
GrabTheWheel

Drives: 16' BRZ
Quote:
I show the gasket going on in the video. It is the gasket from DIF/FRsport.

https://frsport.com/dif-10590-differ...asket-fr-s-brz

Now that you mention it, I think I forgot to add that to the video description.
Justin, do you have anything positive or negative to say about this gasket? I ended up ordering one and I haven't heard of anyone else using it.
GrabTheWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 08:01 PM   #37
Joon525

Drives: 2016 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabTheWheel View Post
Justin, do you have anything positive or negative to say about this gasket? I ended up ordering one and I haven't heard of anyone else using it.
I'm currently rebuilding a dif for friends who have a local shop to me and the previous builder used that gasket and it worked great. I even ordered the same thing for when I'm done with this rebuild.
Joon525 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joon525 For This Useful Post:
GrabTheWheel (09-24-2019)
Old 09-24-2019, 10:20 PM   #38
justinco
btr.life

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabTheWheel View Post
It worked perfectly fine!
Old 02-17-2020, 12:15 PM   #39
SON1C

Drives: 2015 Series Blue BRZ WRB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

how much NVH do you feel that they added?

So the IRP shifter is STX legal?
SON1C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 03:22 PM   #40
Mykii
Noodleking

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Anyone here know how these OS Giken's come straight from the factory? I haven't found much info on it as a 1.5 way or 2 way and there aren't any specs on it. When I contacted OS Giken USA, they told me to send one in to get tuned for my specific application. I'm looking to drift with it. Any info out there or resources you've been able to find?
2013 Firestorm FR-S, Kraftwerks C38 kit, FT-86 UEL Catted Headers, TRD D-Tip cat-back, Vibrant 1140 Resonator, Exedy Stage 1 Normal/smoother clutch that replaced the Stage 2 3-puck clutch, Exedy Lightweight flywheel, DSS carbon fiber driveshaft, TEIN springs on performance package Sachs dampers, Megan Racing Inner tie rods, 17x8 +35 Enkei Silver RPF1's, OS-Giken 1.5-way diff, J-Luth steering wheel and now a GKTech angle kit-- which rubs.
Mykii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 10:36 PM   #41
justinco
btr.life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykii View Post
Anyone here know how these OS Giken's come straight from the factory? I haven't found much info on it as a 1.5 way or 2 way and there aren't any specs on it. When I contacted OS Giken USA, they told me to send one in to get tuned for my specific application. I'm looking to drift with it. Any info out there or resources you've been able to find?
Give CounterSpace Garage a call. I got mine through them and they had it configured for my application and needs.
Old 01-04-2022, 06:24 PM   #42
RedReplicant

Drives: None
Thanked 1,209 Times in 515 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
If someone has a picture of one pre-install looking in at the ramps we could tell you.

I will say that it is totally worth it to send the diff off to Lugod (OSGiken USA in CA) to be retuned, it was night and day on my S2000.

Tags
lsd, os giken