follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIA Australia and New Zealand

User Tag List

Old 08-30-2012, 03:58 AM   #1
whyreeto

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
experiencing tail light + fog light condensation?

hey guys i aint here to hi jack anyones thread or anything but i can't find any threads relating to this issue in AUSTRALIA/NZ section...

anyways, around 3 weeks ago when i got the car, i got it opti-coated and the guy showed me that tiny drops of water entered the triangle rear fog light...i told the dealers, and they said they would try to rectify it for me during 1000k service (next week for me)

NOW TODAY! - i washed my car last night and today i found that some water CONDENSED on the borderline of the rear light. That is, 3 drops of transparent looking water condensations INSIDE the the rear lights. To be more accurate, it is located between your boot and the borderline of your rear light (the sealing)...

have u guys experienced the same thing? I'm quite annoyed at the moment cuz the condensations (3 drops) looks crap and i can't get to it

check out the guys from the US: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...ht=water+light
this guy has the whole taillight condensed omg
whyreeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:02 AM   #2
86_ZN6

Drives: 86 ZN6
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,222 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
when washing your car also use a leaf blower to take out water and moisture in the tail lights
86_ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86_ZN6 For This Useful Post:
whyreeto (08-30-2012)
Old 08-30-2012, 04:10 AM   #3
whyreeto

Drives: GT86
i guess thats the best solution? lol
whyreeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:45 AM   #4
proficience

Drives: Velocity Orange 86 GTS M/T
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I am getting my rear fog light/reverse light swapped out tomorrow after highlighting the issue to the service centre at the 1,000km inspection. I'll have an update tomorrow arvo... (they can't guarantee how long it will take because its 'the first time' they've done it...)
During the service, we also reported the issue of condensation in the brake lights as well, but despite our best efforts to show them (even after shooting it with a pressure hose for a good few minutes), they deny that water is actually entering INSIDE the lights. According to them, the sealing is meant to get wet/condensy... plus I haven't actually see water INSIDE the lights so I'll just wait and see for that one.
proficience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:06 AM   #5
crimespree

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14391
crimespree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:01 AM   #6
Gir

Drives: 86 GT Manual - Sonic Blue
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by whyreeto View Post
i guess thats the best solution? lol
Get them replaced under warranty.
Gir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:32 AM   #7
86 gts

Drives: Red manual 86 gts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gir View Post
Get them replaced under warranty.
Best option
If something is broken, Toyota should fix it
86 gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:31 PM   #8
proficience

Drives: Velocity Orange 86 GTS M/T
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Yep, OP just remember that the liner is supposed to get wet (apparently). Still worth it to take a pic and show your dealer anyway (with your plates visible).

If you see condensation in the morning or actual liquid INSIDE the housing take a photo and definitely go see your dealer.

They should definitely order in a new fitting for the centre reversing/fog light if you show them. (Mines getting replaced as I type this)
proficience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:46 PM   #9
dangerfield

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS 6AT (Tornado Grey)
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
I've had a shit load of condensation in my right tail light recently.. It didn't actually fill up with water, just a load of condensation built up around the entire top section of the light. I've got a pic on my home pc, I'll find it when I finish work.

Gotta give toyota a call when it happens next :/
dangerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:21 PM   #10
Eightsex

Drives: 86(soon!), JZX100
Like for like?

Excuse my ignorance, but IF Toyota were to replace the tail lights with brand new ones, wouldn't the problem reappear later on? (assuming that they replace like for like)

Unless they address the issue at the roots by making a modification to the sealing of the lights. Did they mention that they would be making any changes to address the leaks or just replace and hope for the best?

Pedantic new 86 owner here, just worried when my time comes after driving in rain or washing as this issue seems inevitable based on member's reports so far...
Eightsex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:38 PM   #11
Skorov

Drives: 86 GTS White
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightsex View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but IF Toyota were to replace the tail lights with brand new ones, wouldn't the problem reappear later on? (assuming that they replace like for like)

Unless they address the issue at the roots by making a modification to the sealing of the lights. Did they mention that they would be making any changes to address the leaks or just replace and hope for the best?

Pedantic new 86 owner here, just worried when my time comes after driving in rain or washing as this issue seems inevitable based on member's reports so far...
From what I've read, that is exactly what they have done.
Skorov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:41 PM   #12
Hawaiian
That guy

Drives: Ultramarine mt FR-S
Thanked 1,389 Times in 730 Posts
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quote:

The issue was that the lights were being over torqued on the assembly line and breaking the seal. That has been corrected.
Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:53 AM   #13
Eightsex

Drives: 86(soon!), JZX100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiian View Post
The issue was that the lights were being over torqued on the assembly line and breaking the seal. That has been corrected.
Ohhh if that is the case does anybody know or can confirm the production date for cars produced which this fix has been applied to from factory?

Would be good to know if I should be expecting condensation or not...either way I'll be sure to find out sooner or later lol
Eightsex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:50 AM   #14
Hawaiian
That guy

Drives: Ultramarine mt FR-S
Thanked 1,389 Times in 730 Posts
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Ohhh if that is the case does anybody know or can confirm the production date for cars produced which this fix has been applied to from factory?

Would be good to know if I should be expecting condensation or not...either way I'll be sure to find out sooner or later lol
The fix was within the first 2 months of production, but even then... I'm in the "bad" range, and I'm yet to have a condensation issue.
Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hawaiian For This Useful Post:
monkie (01-14-2013)