follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-17-2019, 03:27 PM   #771
S. Snake

Drives: 13' Asphalt
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Oh I wasn't offended since what you said was very true not all that long ago. Just wanted to clarify the point. The place that made the springs could very well make them for just about everybody else anyway. The days of individual suppliers for each car company pretty much died in 2008. It was just a bad batch and Subaru is either the first or the only company willing to recall for it.

It totally sucks that the Ca crowd is forced to do this recall due to "emission" reasons. If I were in your shoes I would pull it myself. The techs have very clear instructions that would let a 10 year old do the job of spring replacement but dealing with aftermarket FI may be a whole different ball game. Even if they did have the best FI guy in California on staff they would just charge you dealer service rates to do the extra work and that would not be cheap I am sure.
Im out of the loop on domestic cars quality as the newest domestic I currently own is a 99 Cummins and the only "news" I get of domestic cars are from friends and colleagues letting me know their car A, B, or C has to go back to the dealer again or they are going to lemon law car X for Y reason.

As far as the dealer doing work on my car I avoid it at all costs, but (I'm going to repeat myself again here) it's irritating the state is marking these cars as unregisterable until fixed even if they have replacement engines not affected by the recall or aftermarket valve springs (maybe not this reason as those springs are probably not smog legal). Its just a minor irritation compared to the other laws that went into effect this year regarding cars but that's another story for another thread.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2019, 03:34 PM   #772
S. Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesium Rainbow View Post
This. Best possible scenario is paying for a second turbo install at dealer rates. Sucks ass, I'm in the same boat.
It's not the money that keeps me from having the recall done, it's the 5 hours removing the SC and going back to stock (read: slow) to take it to the dealer to get my car back to my house and take 5 hours to put the SC back on. Doesn't help rotrex fluid is $100 per bottle. Lastly if I do all the work to remove it I may fall prey to weakness and sell the SC and trade in the FRS to get my wife a new car.

bcj (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 03:54 PM   #773
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
...Even if they did have the best FI guy in California on staff they would just charge you dealer service rates to do the extra work and that would not be cheap I am sure.
Yea, I'd be tempted to talk to the dealer to make arrangements, pull the FI, trailer the car to them to have them do the recall, then reinstall the FI. That way I wouldn't have to reinstall the factory parts.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 04:08 PM   #774
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Yea, I'd be tempted to talk to the dealer to make arrangements, pull the FI, trailer the car to them to have them do the recall, then reinstall the FI. That way I wouldn't have to reinstall the factory parts.
Ya there is nothing that says the car has to be running.
Dadhawk (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 04:13 PM   #775
S. Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I was super tempted to do this to be honest. I was also tempted to just take them the engine and ask for it back when they were done hahaha.

Dadhawk (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 05:10 PM   #776
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Snake View Post
I'm just going to go out on a limb here and state that this car is mostly Subaru parts bin stuff as far as the drivetrain is installed (with the exception of the D4S system) and in Subaru's defense they make extremely reliable vehicles even if the spark plugs are hard to change. I'm totally willing to give them a pass on the valve springs thing because as far as internal engine recalls go (I'm looking at you Focus RS headgasket) the failure rate is pretty small.

If this car was all Toyota it would have been a FWD abomination (I'm looking at you last generation Celica), and nobody wants that.

Actually if it wasn't for Toyota it would NOT have been RWD. The FT86 was Toyota's project not Subaru. Toyota took a Legacy, made it RWD and then handed it off to Subaru to see if they were willing to get onboard with the project.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 05:50 PM   #777
S. Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
Actually if it wasn't for Toyota it would NOT have been RWD. The FT86 was Toyota's project not Subaru. Toyota took a Legacy, made it RWD and then handed it off to Subaru to see if they were willing to get onboard with the project.
Actually in hindsight it could have been RWD using Lexus IS components (totally forgot that existed) but I feel with what Toyota had on hand ( mostly FWD vehicles) if it was a 100% Toyota vehicle it more than likely would have been FWD. Either way these collaborations with other companies like Subaru and BMW are bringing back real awesome cars remincent of the late 80s early 90s sports cars and that is a win plain and simple.

bcj (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 08:32 PM   #778
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,323 Times in 7,381 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Ya it was hidden away in the California emissions discussion so both the guys that have these cars but don't live in California probably missed it. The whole document pretty much does cover every question that has been asked on here.
Thanks for posting that. After reading it I just decided to call my local dealer and ask. The answer I got was........"I don't know."
NoHaveMSG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:17 PM   #779
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,981 Times in 2,197 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
tempted to just take them the engine and ask for it back when they were done
Here ya go.
Oh. Finnished ya?
Gimmie my cert.
Done.
The Following User Says Thank You to bcj For This Useful Post:
S. Snake (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 11:10 PM   #780
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Actually in hindsight it could have been RWD using Lexus IS components (totally forgot that existed) but I feel with what Toyota had on hand ( mostly FWD vehicles) if it was a 100% Toyota vehicle it more than likely would have been FWD. Either way these collaborations with other companies like Subaru and BMW are bringing back real awesome cars remincent of the late 80s early 90s sports cars and that is a win plain and simple.

I don’t know. Toyota’s plan was to bring back the AE86. No way would it have been FWD even if they built it on their own.

Not having a manual on the Supra doesn’t make me reminisce about the 80’s. The 86 on the other hand I agree.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:59 AM   #781
S. Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
I don’t know. Toyota’s plan was to bring back the AE86. No way would it have been FWD even if they built it on their own.

Not having a manual on the Supra doesn’t make me reminisce about the 80’s. The 86 on the other hand I agree.
Didn't know the new Supra wasn't gonna be a manual (too expensive for me anyway)

Old 01-18-2019, 08:32 AM   #782
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNOMAD View Post
Just want them to replace the throw out bearing while they are in there. Anyone had any luck on this?
Wanted to update you - they just called me this morning. They're charging me a half hour of labor to install an entire clutch kit, which includes throw out bearing, new clutch disc, and pressure plate.

For anyone else curious, I'm not getting charged anything for spark plugs other than plugs themselves, and they asked how much additional oil the oil cooler requires. I left them a voice message asking that they don't re-install the oil cooler, it'll just be headaches for me, took me forever to calm the Mishimoto -AN fitting gods.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
NYNOMAD (01-18-2019), RallySport (01-19-2019), slizoth (01-18-2019), Ultramaroon (01-19-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 01:23 PM   #783
slizoth

Drives: 2013 WRB Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
Wanted to update you - they just called me this morning. They're charging me a half hour of labor to install an entire clutch kit, which includes throw out bearing, new clutch disc, and pressure plate.

For anyone else curious, I'm not getting charged anything for spark plugs other than plugs themselves, and they asked how much additional oil the oil cooler requires. I left them a voice message asking that they don't re-install the oil cooler, it'll just be headaches for me, took me forever to calm the Mishimoto -AN fitting gods.
I only have 37.8k miles on my 2013 BRZ and I would be thrilled if they did my clutch and spark plugs sans labor cost during the recall. Fingers crossed.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:03 AM   #784
Brady961

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mine is being done now. They're doing the clutch kit for parts and one hour of labor. Parts only for plugs and belt.
Brady961 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brady961 For This Useful Post:
RallySport (01-19-2019), Ultramaroon (01-19-2019)