follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-16-2019, 04:02 AM   #1
Eazy-V

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Replacing Connecting Rods

I know one of the main weak points of the FA20 is con rods, so has anyone just replaced the oem con rods with some forged ones while keeping all the other internals oem? Will this require engine break-in or no?

I’m currently hitting 400whp on E73 on all stock internals, so I just want beefier con rods to prevent bending them at this power level.

1993 Mazda MX6 N/A Fully Built on MegaSquirt (work in progress)
2023 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 Stock
Eazy-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:09 AM   #2
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Aftermarket rods will not work with stock pistons. They could be machined to fit, but it's not really worth the expense since pistons aren't that much money. I want to know if anyone has used WRX fa20 rods.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:23 AM   #3
Fred E

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
Aftermarket rods will not work with stock pistons. They could be machined to fit, but it's not really worth the expense since pistons aren't that much money. I want to know if anyone has used WRX fa20 rods.
I don't think there's much point in using WRX FA20 rods over forged aftermarket, since aftermarket options are both stronger and lighter. WRX rods break just as much as BRZ rods do, if not even more often. I do agree with your point that it's not worth the expense of only replacing the connecting rods and leaving the pistons alone, as they are also a possible failure point.

To the OP's other question, if you're replacing connecting rods, I'd hope you're also replacing bearings, which would most certainly require a break-in.
Fred E is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fred E For This Useful Post:
celek (01-23-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 11:12 PM   #4
Eazy-V

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred E View Post
I don't think there's much point in using WRX FA20 rods over forged aftermarket, since aftermarket options are both stronger and lighter. WRX rods break just as much as BRZ rods do, if not even more often. I do agree with your point that it's not worth the expense of only replacing the connecting rods and leaving the pistons alone, as they are also a possible failure point.

To the OP's other question, if you're replacing connecting rods, I'd hope you're also replacing bearings, which would most certainly require a break-in.
Yeah I’ll be replacing the bearings, so I guess no way to avoid break-in and if no aftermarket conrods fit the OEM pistons then rings and etc have to be done.

1993 Mazda MX6 N/A Fully Built on MegaSquirt (work in progress)
2023 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 Stock
Eazy-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:16 PM   #5
celek
Resident Gear Head

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazy-V View Post
Yeah I’ll be replacing the bearings, so I guess no way to avoid break-in and if no aftermarket conrods fit the OEM pistons then rings and etc have to be done.
If you are going to tear it all the way down to the rods might as well toss pistons in. As for break in I am willing to bet your cylinders are still in a condition to break new rings in anyhow.

Once you fix one weak link the next one to fail in line pops up. do you want to tear it all the way down 2 times?