follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-02-2019, 11:57 AM   #15
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Welcome to our new year forum ..

Although this is over my paygrade, I do believe the FA20 engine has four of them. They are located at the front of the engine at the ends of the camshafts.

They kinda of look like this.

Someone else will be along soon to tell you which ones are which for the intake and exhaust and left or right bank.

humfrz

Nope.

A slow response code isn't from the cam sensors (which don't look like that). and it's unlikely that they are from oil control valve solenoids, as there are just on/off solenoids pushing on a valve in the camshaft sprocket. If the variable timing is working at on the specific cam points away from the solenoid. A lot of people have had slow response codes, and have thrown sensors, actuators and sprockets at the problem. The cam phasers run on oil pressure and the one thing people never check are the OCV filters.

But they're not in a place where they can be checked. Unless you want to remove the camshaft housings, Your best bet it to warm it up completely and dump the old oil. Give it 4 liters of fresh oil, filter and a crankcase flushing additive (like seafoam) and let it fast idle for 15-30 mins, then change the oil again.

Cleaning of the oil system is the last step in the diagnostic flow for these codes and if that doesn't fix the problem it says to replace the ECM, but it's the FIRST THING that should be done because it's the easiest and least intrusive thing to do versus dismantling timing components for inspection.
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RZNT4R For This Useful Post:
humfrz (01-02-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 12:18 PM   #16
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZNT4R View Post
Nope.

A slow response code isn't from the cam sensors (which don't look like that).
Oh, my - my bad -

@Donizzz pay no attention what I said.

Do pay attention what RZNT4R said -

(mumble-mumble - cam position sensors - what will they think of next - back in the day the camshaft didn't move from side to side, it just went round and round - the engine ran just fine thataway - )

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote