follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 12-27-2018, 09:49 PM   #29
highway7

Drives: FRS 2013
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Came in expecting this

highway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to highway7 For This Useful Post:
JMon85 (01-09-2019)
Old 12-28-2018, 01:00 PM   #30
brzEd101

Drives: Brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Andrew, do you have a time frame for when these springs will become available? Next rallycross season starts in March

Attached a picture of current set up. The 15 mm increased height will be perfect I think. Not too tall but tall enough to make sure you don't bottom out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
Approx 15mm lift. Spring rates designed for compliance and improved handling on lower grip surfaces while still being capable on the road. Appropriate for rally-x, smooth gravel, back roads, and the city roads that look like they've recently been shelled. These are designed to be an option for someone that wants something more capable on gravel/snow/dirt than stock without jumping into a full stage rally type of set up. They will be a lot of fun.

Will work with stock shocks.

- Andrew
Attached Images

brzEd101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 01:42 PM   #31
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeutonicShift89 View Post
Just curious Andrew, what type of wheel/tire combo would you run on these springs? Of course @Liftedbrz and @Liftedfrs went with 215/65/16 combo'd with 2'' lifts but just curious what you're thinking? Perhaps something like a 50 or 55 ratio on 16'' wheels?
I'm not sure of gravel 16 inch tire options. I have 205/55/16 Blizzaks on my car right now that fit well.

My goal is to find a 15x7 rally wheel that fits, the tricky part being something that clears the tie rod. I'll be swapping my brakes to the smaller Subaru 4 pot so I'm good there. The 15 inch wheels will open up a lot of tire options.

I've got a couple ideas for the wheels.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 01:44 PM   #32
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by brzEd101 View Post
Andrew, do you have a time frame for when these springs will become available? Next rallycross season starts in March

Attached a picture of current set up. The 15 mm increased height will be perfect I think. Not too tall but tall enough to make sure you don't bottom out.
I'd love to have these ready by March. Unclear at the moment, but I'm hopeful. Nice pic.

Might be good to move RCE spring discussion to that thread! I'll bump it.

- Andrew
Old 12-28-2018, 05:17 PM   #33
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
.. My goal is to find a 15x7 rally wheel that fits, the tricky part being something that clears the tie rod. ..
I found these mentions of confirmed fitment of R15 wheels. IIRC trick was offset.
- this shop lists twins compatibility for these Enkei RC-G5 wheels. You can contact them if it's really test-fitted-confirmed. 15x6.5" +35 and 15x7" +35
- Team Dynamic Rally1 wheels 15x6 +25 #1 #2
- Team Dynamic Rally1 wheels 15x6 +52(?!) but 15x7 +53 needed spacer
- Rota Slipstreams, 15x7 35mm fit...barely.
- VW AVUS Wheels 15x6.0 +38 (need ball seat lug nuts) #2
- 15x6.5 ET40 Dodge Neon wheels
- unknown spec and maker R15 on TRD showcar

As eg. 15x6.5 +45 Braid Acropolis doesn't clear , trick seems to be 1) rally-ish wheel barrel design for brake clearance, 2) AND lesser offset then "normal subaru of around +45" for suspension clearance. Please do report here on forum found confirmed clearance/fitment in wheel directory too, when you will find your wheels. Very scarce nfo on clearing R15 otherwise

Also imho no need to go for MOST rugged rally wheels, as what are you going for - for reasonable/mild rallying, no? Without those 5+ meter high jumps . So imho "tarmac rally" wheels should also be considerable option, no need to go for even stronger (and even heavier) gravel or ice rally wheels. Though ice/snow rally wheels may offer interesting option of wheels that can be run with abnormally narrow winter tires .. something opposite to your wished x7 wheel width though.

P.S. while many small spokes may protect better from snow getting in, imho they might be PITA to clean from accumulated snow/ice with brush later on no unlike from lesser count wider spaced spokes, no? May protect better against gravel/rocks getting into brakes though. Still, as hint from one local rally car prep shop, they were making custom for specific car/brakes/wheels plastic "scrapers" to attach to brake calipers or control arm, that scraped off excess snow from inside of wheel, not letting it accumulate there in first place . - imho you can custom make something like that for yours too . I'm thinking of getting something similar for my R16 wheels sometime too. Otherwise it's almost given that after i visit winter ice tracks, driving home with "rebalanced" wheels with uneven ice/snow/frozen dirt extra weight inside wheel with all that vibration/wobbling is not fun until i pressure-wash it off.

Last edited by churchx; 12-28-2018 at 05:37 PM.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 10:42 AM   #34
brzEd101

Drives: Brz
The first set of wheels you listed are awesome but man they are expensive. But then again, there aren't many options for 15" wheels with these cars. I guess it would be worth it because you can't find gravel or rally tires in 16" wheels so you are left with snows if you want to stay on the cheaper side.
brzEd101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 11:09 AM   #35
Racecomp Engineering

We know rallispec well, and the Enkei wheels are in the list. The TMG OZ rally wheels are as well but I need to check pricing.

- Andrew
Old 12-31-2018, 06:30 AM   #36
scottman

Drives: 13 mt fr-s
I went with the 15" Method mr501-vt spec.
15x7 and +48. Same as stock offset.
Clears no problem.
Now I'm just on the hunt for some nice off-road tires.
scottman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scottman For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (12-31-2018)
Old 01-07-2019, 09:07 PM   #37
TeutonicShift89

Drives: '13 LAVA - lightly modded
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottman View Post
I went with the 15" Method mr501-vt spec.
15x7 and +48. Same as stock offset.
Clears no problem.
Now I'm just on the hunt for some nice off-road tires.
You mean they clear the stock brakes just fine?

TeutonicShift89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:21 PM   #38
scottman

Drives: 13 mt fr-s
Quote:
You mean they clear the stock brakes just fine?
Yes.
Dirtfish used them aand bigger than stock brakes.
https://www.dirtfish.com/blog/brand-...o-a-rally-car/
scottman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:13 PM   #39
TeutonicShift89

Drives: '13 LAVA - lightly modded
Quote:
I'm not sure of gravel 16 inch tire options. I have 205/55/16 Blizzaks on my car right now that fit well.

My goal is to find a 15x7 rally wheel that fits, the tricky part being something that clears the tie rod. I'll be swapping my brakes to the smaller Subaru 4 pot so I'm good there. The 15 inch wheels will open up a lot of tire options.

I've got a couple ideas for the wheels.

- Andrew
What are your ideas for tires? The more I read about rally style suspension set up interactions with tires vs street suspension and street tires I am starting to get confused about what I actually want to accomplish and how to do it.

For instance: http://www.dirally.com/forums/showth...lly-suspension

TeutonicShift89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:06 AM   #40
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
As imho none in this thread consider real hardcore rallying, imho generic street tires will do ok for enthusiastic driving on ice/snow/gravel. If one hunts for results, then it's worth to do more serious modding and rise budget by a LOT.
After all, real rally tires are just like track slicks. They grip better but not for a long. They will last race or two, and that's about it - time to change, to keep grip competitive. Just for "fun" or enthuasistic "rallyish" auto-x normal tires should do. Be it normal street tires for tarmac stages or mud ones for gravel or normal winter tires for ice/snow. And of course it's not just tires. Your own linked thread on rally suspension discussion. "Real" rally coilovers do wonders, they allow all those insane jumps in air, they allow going 200kmh+ on deep holes ridden tarmac or bad gravel road or cut corners over ditch .. but they cost $7-20K set and need to be overhauled every 1K km.
Once one gets into sport seriously, one should have money to back it. My preference is to keep it modest, just for fun, and mods only in way to keep car street legal and daily driveable.
Don't overthink it & keep it simple and of reasonable costs, if it's just for fun. Yes, with "real stuff" speeds/laptimes will be better, but if it is must if your goal is fun and you have to pay for that from own wallet?
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:18 PM   #41
Wiscocrashtest

Drives: 14 BRZ, 16 FoSt
I have rallycrossed on the stock suspension with snow tires. It was OK - actually super fun and traction was decent.

When I dropped a wheel into a rut I could strike the factory skidplate on the ground. Didn't damage anything but not good. This is where a mild-lift rallycross spring would be ideal.

I am considering getting some 15" rims and real rally tires, but this is close to a $2k proposition and I'm not sure how serious I want to get.

The cost of some springs on stock shocks or Bilsteins wouldn't impact the street-ability of the car and really have no downsides for me.
Wiscocrashtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 03:45 PM   #42
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
What are your ideas for tires? The more I read about rally style suspension set up interactions with tires vs street suspension and street tires I am starting to get confused about what I actually want to accomplish and how to do it.

For instance: http://www.dirally.com/forums/showth...lly-suspension
I've been doing a lot of research on tires, but still working through what would work best for me.

Daily driving a real stage rally set up might have some compromises but I actually don't think it would be that bad. Either way, springs like these with OEM or Bilstein B6 are not quite there and I fully expect an awesome daily driving experience. Rally tires I expect to be pretty loud on the street though.

- Andrew