follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 11-21-2017, 04:59 PM   #1
J41v33

Drives: fr-sexy
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
UEL JDL catless headers crooked flange

Recently installed a JDL catless UEL header and was supplied with these instructions when I contacted JDL about the flanges not being flush with a glass surface.

"Jay,

It is not uncommon when placing both flanges on something like a piece of glass to see some variation from side to side between flanges. These headers are not rigid in a manner that will prevent them from pulling to the heads correctly when being torqued. This will also have no adverse effect with added stress. Once the header has been heat cycled a few times everything will settle into place and it is a good idea to re-check your torque. The important part is making sure that the proper torque sequence is used during this stage of install. We prefer the OEM gaskets for the header to heads over the multi-layer steel ones as they are more forgiving to improper install/torque variations.

The header needs to be lifted to the heads and the center nuts run on by hand. Just hand tighten them, then move on to the outer nuts. Once the header is closed up to the heads hand tight you will begin the actual torque sequence which is as follows:

-Start with center nuts (does not matter which bank), torque to 25lb/ft.
-Move to outer nuts and torque to 25lb/ft. in a criss-cross method bank to bank.
-Once all 6 have been torqued, start at the center nuts again and torque to 35lb/ft.
-Move to the outer nuts and torque to 35lb/ft. in a criss-cross method bank to bank
-You can run through all 6 again if you like just to be certain you didn't miss one.
-Then proceed to your outlet flange, it is your preference which 2-bolt gasket you use but the supplied gasket will be more forgiving to improper seating compared to the steel layers OEM gasket.

Best regards,

JDL Auto Design Team"

I would like to say that JDL has been super helpful, and their customer service is amazing, but was wondering if I torqued the headers over the recommended 22ft/lbs that it could cause problems? Did a data log on OFT and found my LTFT to be around +-5%.
J41v33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:57 PM   #2
Turdinator
Seņor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
I would go with JDL's recommendation. Tightening things like this to the correct torque isn't as critical as you would think by reading these forums.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Turdinator For This Useful Post:
Cole (11-22-2017), humfrz (11-22-2017), new2subaru (11-23-2017), Teseo (11-23-2017)
Old 11-22-2017, 11:03 PM   #3
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdinator View Post
I would go with JDL's recommendation. Tightening things like this to the correct torque isn't as critical as you would think by reading these forums.
That's for sure........

During my 70 year wrenching career, I have tightened tens of thousands of bolts and nuts and never used a torque wrench (except on head bolts).

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Turdinator (11-27-2017)
Old 11-23-2017, 07:53 AM   #4
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Do you have the version with the braided flex joints? They should allow enough movement to pull the flanges flat when you torque down the bolts.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 01:20 PM   #5
MidEastBeast

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Series. Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdinator View Post
I once tighetened header bolts to torque specs. 2 days later I smelled a lot of exhaust in the cabin. Nevertheless one of the nuts was missing. Just flat out gone. The others were kind of loose too. Just tighten them as much as you can and till it feels good. Make sure you do it when the car is cold though, otherwise you risk breaking something off.

Never again
MidEastBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 06:33 PM   #6
Submarinesonce

Drives: Frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
use fresh gaskets, i like the grimmspeed
JDL UEL Turbo GT2860RS, AP Racing BBK, Verus Splitter/diffuser/canards, Sard rep carbon wing, TFF bash bar, HKS hi power, Tein Flex A, Hotchkiss FSB, Radium MCB, Konig Hypergram 17x8, FS Indy 500, 6k HID, Whiteline trans bushing insert, Verus AOS, grimmspeed strut brace, Racerx oil cooler w/ setrab 619, ES steering rack bushings, Whiteline subframe bushings, Toms tails, STi mirror caps, IRP shifter, TRD Steering wheel
Submarinesonce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 03:55 AM   #7
J41v33

Drives: fr-sexy
Went back under the car and everything was tight and couldn’t find leaks, I guess it’s just normal
J41v33 is offline   Reply With Quote