follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 05-20-2015, 11:52 PM   #3375
projek_01

Drives: 1996 ST204, Series 10 FR-S
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My whine at idle is fairly quiet. I was able to rid of the whine at idle but the belt slapped around a bit. The whine is definitely noticeable as I accelerate though. I believe that is normal.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:26 AM   #3376
zoth

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium Dark Gray Metallic
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scionfr_s View Post
Tension bolt?it didn't make any different even I'm losing it, tension pulley still spin

You are loosening the bolt of the idler when you are adjusting the tension right?

no whine idle for me, we just really need to find the sweet spot. If it is a little loose, no worries because it's cogged.

Moto-East Flex-Fuel Kit (Almost running 100% E85 all the time)
DW 700 cc Injectors-Tune by (Moto-East)-KW Oil Cooler
zoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:37 AM   #3377
scionfr_s

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
It's not the whine noise, cold start is fine without noise, after driving a bit, the noise came really loud, I'm loosing the bolt for tensioner Even the bolt not touching the idle pulley, it still making the noise
scionfr_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:41 AM   #3378
scionfr_s

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Another video in the day light, I did adjust the tension a bit but it seem doesn't make any different at all
scionfr_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:50 AM   #3379
FRSTRM
Baby LFA

Drives: Baby LFA
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Just picked up my Kraftwerks SC last weekend! Waiting for my FRS to get back from the shop to start my install
FRSTRM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSTRM For This Useful Post:
Billion (05-21-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 11:35 AM   #3380
vgi

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoth View Post
You are loosening the bolt of the idler when you are adjusting the tension right?

no whine idle for me, we just really need to find the sweet spot. If it is a little loose, no worries because it's cogged.

@zoth according to KW a loose belt will have the same issues as overtightened belt as either way it's an extra load on the belt. so you should worry if it's too loose.

@scionfr_s did you read and check all that people have already suggested? otherwise you can post a new video every day - it won't fix your problem.
vgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:51 AM   #3381
vgi

for belt tension try this:
- unscrew tension pulley bolt, just enough to be able to slide the pulley
- unscrew the tension bolt
- manually slide the pulley forward to tighten the belt and tighten tension bolt with your hands. Do 1/4 turn on tension bolt to tighten it some more.
- tighten the tension pulley bolt
- check the belt tension with gates phone app, it should be close
- if needed, unscrew the tension pulley bolt and adjust a bit the tension bolt, screw the tension pulley bolt and recheck again with gates app

gluck
The Following User Says Thank You to vgi For This Useful Post:
Rulin (05-21-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 12:33 PM   #3382
zoth

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium Dark Gray Metallic
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgi View Post
@zoth according to KW a loose belt will have the same issues as overtightened belt as either way it's an extra load on the belt. so you should worry if it's too loose.

@scionfr_s did you read and check all that people have already suggested? otherwise you can post a new video every day - it won't fix your problem.

Of course not too loose, enough to get rid of his noise. A better judgment on his side will be needed. Gate's app sure will help, but it's very inconsistent.

I wonder what will be the equivalent of 60.7 HZ using a electronic guitar tuner?
Moto-East Flex-Fuel Kit (Almost running 100% E85 all the time)
DW 700 cc Injectors-Tune by (Moto-East)-KW Oil Cooler
zoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:56 PM   #3383
DAN_BRZ

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Sport Tech
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Guys.... If anyone is looking to upgrade from their C30 to a C38 I have one for sale. Shoot me a PM. Used for approx 75kms. this thing is practically brand new. I stripped one the screws on the pulley mounting bracket like a dumbass and had to send it back to KW for repair, which I give a huge thumbs to CJ for his awesome customer service, he will be fixing this under warranty. The reason im selling, this got lost in the mail/held up at customs for almost 4weeks, I was with out a car, couldnt wait any longer and ordered up a brand new replacement. So my original found its way back to me this past tuesday and is on its way back to KW for the repair, and should be back in roughly 2 weeks If someone wants it.

asking 1600obo cdn... so you folks south of the boarder from here can take advantage our low cdn dollar.
JDL UEL PERRIN EXHAUST 2.5" OP 3" CATTED F 3" CATBACK - PERRIN MOUNTS PERRIN PULLEY KIT WHITELINE BUSHINGS WILDWOOD BBK ACT CLUTCH & FLYWHEEL KW V3 MTEC KARTBOY SS SEIBON ROOF SPOILER & FRONT LIP 57XTREME 18x9.5 +40 W/ 255/55/R18 MICHELIN PSS
DAN_BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DAN_BRZ For This Useful Post:
Triumphrider (05-21-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 08:37 PM   #3384
Rulin
WRX -> BRZ. (TX)

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue WRB
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgi View Post
for belt tension try this:
- unscrew tension pulley bolt, just enough to be able to slide the pulley
- unscrew the tension bolt
- manually slide the pulley forward to tighten the belt and tighten tension bolt with your hands. Do 1/4 turn on tension bolt to tighten it some more.
- tighten the tension pulley bolt
- check the belt tension with gates phone app, it should be close
- if needed, unscrew the tension pulley bolt and adjust a bit the tension bolt, screw the tension pulley bolt and recheck again with gates app

gluck
This method really helped me dial in my belt today. Thanks @vgi

My belt was way too loose before I think. I was getting belt powder on parts near the SC plate. I also thought the cogged pulleys were the reason why the whine went completely away, after switching from smooth pulleys. But seems like my belt was just too loose.

I also couldn't get consistent results on the gates app because the belt was so loose. I'd pluck the belt and wouldn't get any results, or it would jump from 15hz to 120hz or something like that.

After using @vgi method above, I was able to actually get the gates app to read a consistent result. It is reading 55hz after every pluck (as well as I could actually feel it resonate now).

I'm going to drive around for a week or so and check back if the hz stays consistent (or my belt breaks from being so tight now). If it's still 55hz I might try and dial it into 60

Edit: well now that I measured the bolt, it's 19-20.5 mm depending on how you measure it exactly. So that puts me a little more at ease about being the correct tension now. Plus hearing the whine again is awesome!
KW V3
OEM Audio + Reference 400CF

Last edited by Rulin; 05-21-2015 at 08:49 PM.
Rulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:41 PM   #3385
Triumphrider

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS in white out
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Don't be alarmed but the belt will stretch some. I've adjusted mine a couple times now, just a half turn off the adjuster each time
Old 05-21-2015, 11:29 PM   #3386
vgi

the belt should whine a bit at idle (although my idle is at 900rpm).

if the belt is too loose you would hear kinda grinding noise (has been mentioned in the thread) at low rpm when starting to move, i still do a bit.

the belt does stretch a bit, i though decided not to readjust it for now - perhaps KW have encountered for it? or not, then adjustment really should be made.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:01 PM   #3387
projek_01

Drives: 1996 ST204, Series 10 FR-S
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
If anyone is interested in a C30 to replace a damaged unit? I'd sell mine to buy yours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN_BRZ View Post
Guys.... If anyone is looking to upgrade from their C30 to a C38 I have one for sale. Shoot me a PM. Used for approx 75kms. this thing is practically brand new. I stripped one the screws on the pulley mounting bracket like a dumbass and had to send it back to KW for repair, which I give a huge thumbs to CJ for his awesome customer service, he will be fixing this under warranty. The reason im selling, this got lost in the mail/held up at customs for almost 4weeks, I was with out a car, couldnt wait any longer and ordered up a brand new replacement. So my original found its way back to me this past tuesday and is on its way back to KW for the repair, and should be back in roughly 2 weeks If someone wants it.

asking 1600obo cdn... so you folks south of the boarder from here can take advantage our low cdn dollar.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:48 PM   #3388
SPCorBUST

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rulin View Post
This method really helped me dial in my belt today. Thanks @vgi

My belt was way too loose before I think. I was getting belt powder on parts near the SC plate. I also thought the cogged pulleys were the reason why the whine went completely away, after switching from smooth pulleys. But seems like my belt was just too loose.

I also couldn't get consistent results on the gates app because the belt was so loose. I'd pluck the belt and wouldn't get any results, or it would jump from 15hz to 120hz or something like that.

After using @vgi method above, I was able to actually get the gates app to read a consistent result. It is reading 55hz after every pluck (as well as I could actually feel it resonate now).

I'm going to drive around for a week or so and check back if the hz stays consistent (or my belt breaks from being so tight now). If it's still 55hz I might try and dial it into 60

Edit: well now that I measured the bolt, it's 19-20.5 mm depending on how you measure it exactly. So that puts me a little more at ease about being the correct tension now. Plus hearing the whine again is awesome!
Stuff like this should go into the first post. A section for "Common Issues" and "Common Fixes" would kill a lot of the noise in this thread, especially when the exact same issues (especially belt noise/tightness/looseness related) keep popping up.

It could be something simple, like links to the post for "Reducing belt noise", just like the link for clamping hoses so they don't pop off. We should make it easier for (new) owners to absorb some of the accumulated tribal knowledge, not force them to go through 150+ pages of mostly drivel just for the few good, relevant posts to whatever issue they're having. Searching through all that is tantamount to hazing.
Setup 5: JR C30 HBP, DW 700, DW 300, 3bar, FlexFuel, Delicious, Built Motor
Setup 6: JR C30 HBP, DW 700, DW 300, 3bar, FlexFuel, Delicious, Closed Deck Built Motor
SPCorBUST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SPCorBUST For This Useful Post:
Billion (05-23-2015), CSG Mike (05-25-2015), glamcem (05-29-2015), Mykii (07-07-2020), Rulin (05-23-2015)