follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 07-07-2016, 10:07 PM   #71
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
Is it DOT legal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
My guess is no. I highly doubt he got it DOT approved. But I could be wrong
No I've not gone through DOT, but from the brief research I've done, I've only seen three issues discussed: 1- whether a 3rd brake light is even required, 2- flasher modules, and 3- window tint covering the brake light. The fact that there is a functional brake light pretty much dismisses all but the most hardcore and stringent interpretations of the law when considering that it might be a "modified" brake light and not OEM.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wheelhaus For This Useful Post:
ichitaka05 (07-08-2016)
Old 07-08-2016, 12:30 PM   #72
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,051 Times in 8,326 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhaus View Post
No I've not gone through DOT, but from the brief research I've done, I've only seen three issues discussed: 1- whether a 3rd brake light is even required, 2- flasher modules, and 3- window tint covering the brake light. The fact that there is a functional brake light pretty much dismisses all but the most hardcore and stringent interpretations of the law when considering that it might be a "modified" brake light and not OEM.
Thanks for the clearfying. I wasn't sure if it was dot or not.
Old 12-18-2016, 02:29 PM   #73
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Lil update.

I got xmas present lil early!

Cusco x Bride Digo II (Type-R) for driver side & Cusco x Bride Digo (reg) for passenger side.

I'm currently debating on how to solve the passenger side sensor and heated seats. To do easy rout and pull it out the sensor and put it on the floor and call it good or actually installing the sensor to the seat. I'm not expert in these kind of things, so I'll prob contacting the local upholster place and see what they can do.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:42 PM   #74
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
You will use straps or stick with oem belt?
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 05:48 PM   #75
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseo View Post
You will use straps or stick with oem belt?
Autox doesn't really need 4~6 point harnesses and I won't be doing much track time, so I'll be using OEM belt.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:24 AM   #76
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

I thought I've posted this, but looks like I haven't... Here's TRD style duckbill I've installed few months back.

OEM spoiler off

Test fitting to make sure it fit nicely

Overall fitment is nice. One area need extra weight all night to make sure it glued on, but other than that, no issue at all.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:01 PM   #77
FujiwaraTofu86

Drives: gt86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Do you have any sound clip of your exhaust set up?? curious on how loud/quiet it is
FujiwaraTofu86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 12:27 PM   #78
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujiwaraTofu86 View Post
Do you have any sound clip of your exhaust set up?? curious on how loud/quiet it is
Not recent one... I have a clip of pre-Ace header (only custom catback) vid: vid
Old 05-07-2017, 09:50 PM   #79
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Haven't updated in a while, sorry. Just where I live, it snows & cant really mod/upgrade as I wish. I'll be updating info when weather gets better and get some photos in.

As for now, here's a photo next to my gf's WRX
Old 05-12-2017, 04:20 PM   #80
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

K, I had a chance to take some photos of my car, so let me post it along with updates I've done.

Here's what my BRZ looks like atm.

Exterior
As you can see, TRD style duckbill spoiler have been working perfectly and don't have much issue. Exhaust is still same custom 2.5" w borla muffler & Nameless tip. It's working nicely... but recently kinda wanting different exhaust. If you got some good exhaust, let me know. Debating on getting rear diffuser & front splitter from Driveway Lab or @VeloxEric. They're both looks great & functional, which is very important for me... but it DO bump me up into SM class (in SCCA), it might be worth look into.

Suspension/Brake/Wheels
Suspension is have changed much. Still using RS-R Sports-i (moto-spec) with Whiteline adjustable endlinks connected to ST sway bar. Brakes are sponsored Winmax pads. Winter time, I switch em out to f:W1/r:W2, while summer/racing time I have f:W3/r:W2 to handle the heat. Not because sponsored, but Winmax pads are great! I'll prob be using Winmax even they weren't sponsoring me. It's THAT great pads. Daily wheels and tires are Enkei Raijin (18x8+35) wrapped in GT Radial (225/40) which is pretty cheap and quiet ride than I've expected. For racing, I still have Wedssport TC105n and love it! Currently need of new sets of tires and looking into Rival S or 595RS-RR.

I do need to get LCA in the rear, so was looking into Whiteline or Cusco ones. If anyone got good feedback of those OR have other brands, I'm open to it.

Interior

Interior I did major update. Help of Cusco, I got myself nice seats. Cusco do collab with Bride and have few different seats. I got myself a Digo II Type-R (dr) & Digo II (ps). Digo II Type-R have higher bolster on the side to help reduce body movements. Here are some of the pics of the seats.

Digo II Type-R

Digo II

& I love the front view too seeing those seats and logos.

Of course, side view is nice too

Now, Digo II is a reclining seats and not fixed back. Reason why I didn't go with fixed back is, this car is still a daily driving car and not a race car. Do like to have reclining option to get around the town. Now, for the cons. Cusco x Bride series Digo doesn't come with fireproof suede, but instead have the fell of semi-soft cloth (fireproof of course) to it. So if you compare to suede, it's a bit rough. Weight isn't great either. They weight give-or-take about same as stock seats (maybe 5~7lbs light), so it's not really a weight shaving, but more of cosmetic upgrade. Last one is a size. This issue isn't really an issue for me, but these seats are very narrow. I'm waist 33~34 and it fit me nicely, so anyone who's over those size won't fit or have a hard time squeezing in there.

As for interior idea, thinking of deleting the rear seats. I'm not using it, so was looking into Shrader Performance Rear Seat Delete Kit to keep it clean look.

I'll try to update as much as I can... while working on 86EXPO event.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:57 AM   #81
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Here's lil update.

My friend is making new parts for 86/BRZ... which I'm interested to see how it turns out.

Tonight, we just measure to double make sure before making prototype steel ver... which I'll be testing out for him to give some feedback.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:53 PM   #82
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

86EXPO is successfully over, so thought to update here on what I'm currently doing w my car.

Local friend is making parts for Subie and needed my BRZ, so have been going tonhis shop measuring. Sunday, he finally got the prototype and wanted me to test em out, so he have installed it and currently on test mode. Can't show you what it is, but here's a hint. It replace this part.

Another hint is, this part doesn't go against MCB, but it work with MCB. So far on my feedback, it's good and if anyone is wants great brake feedback, I highly recommended!
Old 01-19-2018, 12:59 AM   #83
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

After testing over 6 months in variety weather conditions (from +100 degree sunny day to -5 degrees in the snowstorm), different brake pads (daily pads & autox/track pads), with & without Master Cylinder brace and of course, daily driving and racing, I can finally show you what I’ve added to my mod list.

Pedal Support bracket by ITS. It's one of top fav mod I've done to my car! Brake feel is more precise and direct. Using along with MC brace, I don't think I get ANY wall flex.

Q. What’s pedal support bracket?
A. Simple answer to this is, it reduces brake pedal flex caused by fire wall on our car.

Q. Isn’t MC brace do the same thing?
A. Pedal support bracket and MC brace work together to get more bite from brake. This bracket is supporting the brake and clutch pedals, so if you have upgraded clutch you can get more precise clutch work.

Q. Can I still have MC brace and have this equipped?
A. Yes you can equip both. I actually recommend equipping BOTH.

Q. Why recommend equipping both?
A. I don’t have measure thingy to prove this other than my daily and autox experiences, so take this answer as a grain of salt. Pedal support bracket helps initial braking feel. Sounds crazy when I say, installing this, initial braking “feel” have improves by one brake pad upgrade. Feel is more direct than only having MC brace.

Q. Is it hard to install? How long does it take to install?
A. No, not too hard. It’s easy installation, so most of you who never have modded your car can do this. Just only problem is due to where brake/clutch pedals are, you gotta be in awkward position for 10~20mins. Total time to install this is less than an hour.

Hope that answer some of the questions you might have

Last edited by ichitaka05; 01-19-2018 at 11:23 AM.
ichitaka05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ichitaka05 For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (01-19-2018), wulfstan (01-25-2018), zeal86 (01-22-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 11:09 PM   #84
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Here’s an update on what happened on me this summer.

Few of Kics lugnuts cover thingy (don’t know what those are called) were cracking, so I’ve replaced it with Muteki lugnuts... but that’s where it went to hell. Some how it ceased on me in a month, result this happened.

Yes, I’ve busted the studs... it’s not stock studs. Those are ARP extended studs. After several hundred dollar later, got all studs replaced and got different lugnuts. (Gorilla Forged Steel open ended)

Right after studs and lugnuts were fixed, my front right (passenger) brake caliper ceased on me, so thought to change things up by changing to Subaru 4 pistons calipers. I wouldn’t call it performance upgrade, but it’s a visual upgrade. Thanks to KNS Brakes for all the support and info.

It fit Enkei Raijin (18x8 +35) without an issue, of course. Maybe look small?

If you’re wondering, yes it’s easy to change it to Subaru 4 piston calipers. They used stock rotors, so all you need is calipers, caliper stuffs (pins, covers & so on) & pads. Calipers bolt on directly, so no cuts or weld anything.

If looks pretty nice... I think

As for brake pedal feel, there aren’t much difference than stock. I read somewhere in the forum that these calipers are a bit lighter than stock, but nothing major weight shaving. This is why I said “visual” upgrade, instead of “performance” upgrade.

With that problem fixed, another problem came along. I do use stock wheels for winter tires... but I’ve read that stock wheels doesn’t fit with these calipers, so I’ve bought different wheels. Went with Enkei again, I just love Enkei. Big thanks to @OAKOS Automotive for good deal again. I highly recommend them to anyone. I've bought from them so many times. PLUS my wife and my wife's sister bought from them, cuz they had a great deal.

Got myself Enkei VR5 in 17x8 +45. I wish they made it in +35 or +32 offset, but o’well still looks nice.

Had lil fun putting stickers on. But in the end, I took it off.

I got it matte black & I think it looks nice.

It does clear the calipers without an issue. Prob have 1”~2” in space.