follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 06-07-2015, 08:41 PM   #15
Nylander

Drives: '14 SSM BRZ Limited 6 speed
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpedo View Post
Had the EXACT issue you are describing. Changed the wheel bearing and it was gone.
I just wonder if I got a bad wheel bearing from the factory. I don't know if it's worth ordering a second part to see. I might swap left and right hubs to see if the noise moves.
Nylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:49 PM   #16
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,140 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nylander View Post
Yeah, I'm wondering if they did a shoddy alignment. They didn't even notice the wheel bearing and that was obvious.

So after having a few other people in the car with me, I'm pretty sure the noise is coming from the front passenger side and not the rear after all.

The noise is really not that noticeable and you can feel it more than you can hear it.

After a bit more driving, I found that you CAN hear it faintly driving straight, but it's louder when you turn left. It does fade away completely on right turns. It's also periodic and directly proportional to speed. It is a slow/low pitch "wub wub wub."

The noise is unaffected by braking as well and the wheel seems to turn freely when jacked up.

To me, all signs point to the wheel bearing being bad, but I replaced it already with the Subaru OEM part. I don't know anymore. I am only in the country for another week or so and then I'll be in Japan for three years, so I have to sell the car and I'd hate to sell it with some lingering, if only minor, issue.
Its possible the new bearing was damaged when installed. If bearings are installed/pressed incorrectly, the race or roller surfaces can be gouged (even if its only slightly), which will eventually lead to failure.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wheelhaus For This Useful Post:
Nylander (06-08-2015), Ultramaroon (06-07-2015)
Old 06-07-2015, 08:58 PM   #17
Nylander

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhaus View Post
Its possible the new bearing was damaged when installed. If bearings are installed/pressed incorrectly, the race or roller surfaces can be gouged (even if its only slightly), which will eventually lead to failure.
The hub and bearing is one piece, so if it was pressed incorrectly, it's on Subaru not me. Just installing the hub couldn't have much effect on on the actual bearing, right? It literally rests in the knuckle.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nylander For This Useful Post:
wheelhaus (06-08-2015)
Old 06-07-2015, 10:15 PM   #18
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
The hub and bearing is one piece, so if it was pressed incorrectly, it's on Subaru not me. Just installing the hub couldn't have much effect on on the actual bearing, right? It literally rests in the knuckle.
Correct, it would be on Subaru but @wheelhaus' point is valid. Human error in assembly is always possible. Someone had a bad day, press misaligned, blah blah... A failed bearing will still turn freely. The way to tell is more by perceived noise and possibly some play in the hub. For the front, it's easy. Remove the wheel, take a screwdriver and gently pry apart the brake pucks just enough so they don't rub against the rotor, and reinstall the wheel. Then while it's still jacked up, give the wheel a good spin. You should hear absolutely nothing. If you hear even the slightest hint of rumble, the bearing is toast.

Rear wheels are harder because of the diff but it's doable. You just have to know that telltale sound.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:23 PM   #19
Nylander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Correct, it would be on Subaru but @wheelhaus' point is valid. Human error in assembly is always possible. Someone had a bad day, press misaligned, blah blah... A failed bearing will still turn freely. The way to tell is more by perceived noise and possibly some play in the hub. For the front, it's easy. Remove the wheel, take a screwdriver and gently pry apart the brake pucks just enough so they don't rub against the rotor, and reinstall the wheel. Then while it's still jacked up, give the wheel a good spin. You should hear absolutely nothing. If you hear even the slightest hint of rumble, the bearing is toast.

Rear wheels are harder because of the diff but it's doable. You just have to know that telltale sound.
Well, I swapped the hubs left to right and all the symptoms switched as well. So if the hub wasn't put together wrong, then the driver's side failed. I am glad I know what it is at least. Thanks for the feedback everybody, I appreciate it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nylander For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-08-2015)
Old 06-08-2015, 04:01 PM   #20
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Well, I swapped the hubs left to right and all the symptoms switched as well. So if the hub wasn't put together wrong, then the driver's side failed. I am glad I know what it is at least. Thanks for the feedback everybody, I appreciate it.
Very cool.

These hub assemblies are precision items but there are still manufacturing tolerances to consider. It may be negligible but a new hub assembly will change alignment of the wheel relative to the axle carrier. Once you're satisfied in your repairs, even if it's just to verify, it's time for another alignment.
Old 06-08-2015, 04:57 PM   #21
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,140 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Ah I wasn't aware the bearings are factory installed, and the entire assembly is replaced. Good to know.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote