follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 03-02-2016, 04:42 PM   #967
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,576 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLESH KILLA View Post
Just want to say +1 for buying an 86 to get sideways. Love this car and hope to get it to a track soon for some drift practice. Anyone in the Charlotte area or know of any good spots to learn? Any suggestions would be appreciated! Shoot me a PM.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
At the track. Look for a local drift forum and find out what organizations are holding sanctioned events. That's the best way to go about it. You'll learn the most at the quickest rate by going to an event.

Streets aren't worth the risk in my opinion.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
CarzCarzCarz (03-03-2016), gatorbushmen (03-03-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 02:17 PM   #968
Shady195

Drives: '13 10 Series FRS #1203
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Pumped for this season.

Hoping to have an SBD Turbo kit, however that may not be for a few more months.. However I am ordering some goodies to try this year.

18MM Rear Sway Bar (Keeping stock front)
Poly Sub frame Collars
Polly Differential mount inserts
Poly transmission mount
Megan Rack ends

Hoping the poly items and having a little less slop in the dirveline will make the car feel a little better overall and especially when clutch kicking tight hairpins to keep the momentum going.
Shady195 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shady195 For This Useful Post:
MrFisty (03-09-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 02:20 PM   #969
Shady195

Also a note on the Megan Rack ends.

Once I install them, I plan on doing a full reading before and after using my friends scales with toe plates etc that measure Camber/Steering Lock etc.. (not sure what youd could the plates that measure steering angle)

I've heard 2-3 people in here say they do some good, but im not all that convinced if they actually do. We'll see for sure with some actual numbers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shady195 For This Useful Post:
CarzCarzCarz (03-10-2016), MrFisty (03-09-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 02:30 PM   #970
TylerLieberman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady195 View Post
Also a note on the Megan Rack ends.

Once I install them, I plan on doing a full reading before and after using my friends scales with toe plates etc that measure Camber/Steering Lock etc.. (not sure what youd could the plates that measure steering angle)

I've heard 2-3 people in here say they do some good, but im not all that convinced if they actually do. We'll see for sure with some actual numbers.

They do add a noticeable increase in angle. The problem is that they do it by allowing more movement within the steering rack. That means that the steering wheel requires more turn from lock to lock. Modified knuckles will add the same amount of angle, but they do it by shortening the arms, so it's still the same amount of movement from lock to lock, but the steering is faster (if that makes sense).

Also, the tie rods will actually increase ackerman a bit, which you don't really want for drifting. Modified knuckles will help decrease the ackerman, which is what you really want.

They're a good solution that's cost effective and an easy swap. However, knuckles would be the better way to go in all honesty.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:35 PM   #971
Shady195

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
They do add a noticeable increase in angle. The problem is that they do it by allowing more movement within the steering rack. That means that the steering wheel requires more turn from lock to lock. Modified knuckles will add the same amount of angle, but they do it by shortening the arms, so it's still the same amount of movement from lock to lock, but the steering is faster (if that makes sense).

Also, the tie rods will actually increase ackerman a bit, which you don't really want for drifting. Modified knuckles will help decrease the ackerman, which is what you really want.

They're a good solution that's cost effective and an easy swap. However, knuckles would be the better way to go in all honesty.
I do plan on getting knuckles at somepoint. However I've decided to hold off for the time being. Definitely until after I have my turbo setup.

Unfortunately I'm constantly changing my approach with the car as its still pretty much a daily and weekend drift toy.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:00 PM   #972
gatorbushmen
Amateur Drifter

Drives: '13 FRS
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-rIDhOw_Go"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-rIDhOw_Go[/ame]

Here is the video I did on the install process!
Old 03-16-2016, 03:19 AM   #973
Freedom

Drives: PEARL WHITE GT86 TRD
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
A short vid of me getting used to going sideways. I stayed in 1st gear as I found 2nd gear way more difficult. The car was very snappy in 2nd gear. I still struggled to transition to the tighter circle as you will see.

[ame]http://youtu.be/tneCUtp7eK8[/ame]
Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:21 PM   #974
SoCal80six

Drives: Asphalt frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Drift day !!!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
SoCal80six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:56 PM   #975
sosick
fastest frs in sbg

Drives: sick ass ultramarine frs
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
So at the dealership they could only get my rears to -1.5 without messing up my 0 toe and -2 camber in front with my fortune auto coils. Should i be ok for drift day or should i fix it
sosick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 12:45 PM   #976
TylerLieberman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosick View Post
So at the dealership they could only get my rears to -1.5 without messing up my 0 toe and -2 camber in front with my fortune auto coils. Should i be ok for drift day or should i fix it
-1.5 is fine. It will actually equate to pretty even tire wear. Personally, I'd run more than -2 up front. I'd run no less than like -3, but that's just me.

One thing you could do is mark your camber plates on what your current settings are at. Then, when you get to the track, lift the front end of the car off the car and add a bit more camber. It'll also give you a little bit of toe out, which is good for turn in. Then, at the end of the day, you can return the camber settings to the original markings you made on the plates and drive home.

That's what I used to do with mine when I first got it. Then I just ended up running -3.5 front camber every day.
The Following User Says Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
sosick (03-23-2016)
Old 03-23-2016, 01:11 PM   #977
sosick
fastest frs in sbg

Drives: sick ass ultramarine frs
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
-1.5 is fine. It will actually equate to pretty even tire wear. Personally, I'd run more than -2 up front. I'd run no less than like -3, but that's just me.

One thing you could do is mark your camber plates on what your current settings are at. Then, when you get to the track, lift the front end of the car off the car and add a bit more camber. It'll also give you a little bit of toe out, which is good for turn in. Then, at the end of the day, you can return the camber settings to the original markings you made on the plates and drive home.

That's what I used to do with mine when I first got it. Then I just ended up running -3.5 front camber every day.
Theres not much room left but i ordered camber bolts and debating on toe arms
sosick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 03:38 PM   #978
Shady195

My first event isn't until May unfortunately. However I have Rack Ends, Rear subframe and Differential bushings, transmission mount, may do motor mounts, as well as a 16mm rear swaybar.

I installed the subframe bushings as well as the differential outrigger set. I'm pretty confident these two things alone could make a huge different for an NA FRS drifting. Car feels more stable in the rear when hitting a bumpy patch in a turn..

With that said, it also seems to deliver power (as intended by these products) to the wheels much better. Breaking traction at lower speeds using some momentum seems much easier and more predictable. Also, the car seems to need less work on the clutch to negotiate a tight turn in second gear while sliding. Previously, the car seemed to bog down much more if you were under 5-6k and would requier a bit of a kick of the clutch to get things moving again.. Stabbing the throttle seems to work a little better now..

I may not even put the rear swaybar in until after the first event because it seems so much better in the rear.
Old 03-23-2016, 04:33 PM   #979
Chillemall

Drives: Raven FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sup dudes?

Is drifting still cool?

FLESH KILLA (03-23-2016)
Old 03-23-2016, 04:39 PM   #980
FLESH KILLA
Mr Cool Guy

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (Raven)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillemall View Post
Sup dudes?

Is drifting still cool?
If you feel the need to confirm that something is or is not "cool", then you should not be partaking in said thing. Do something because you love it, not to make others love you. Just my 2¢... IMO Drifting is fuXXing awesome and always will be. Nothing like seeing a car go sideways. Nice pics!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
SoCal80six (03-23-2016)