follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-27-2017, 12:30 PM   #71
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AjaxKing View Post
But since you haven't included the Submersible Stretch-Limo Toyota FR-S, with rear sky-vision glass roof, mini-bar and surf board package, its still on the drawing board. That's a relief.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/pictu...ictureid=10833
Yep! Should be announced by motoring.au any second now.
Andrew025 (02-27-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 01:10 PM   #72
MJones_RB

Drives: Scion FR-S Series 10 #2462
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
The Manhattan Beach Toyota dealership, formally owned by John Elway, used to have a whole row of 2017 FR-Ss up front on it's lot. They have since been replaced by Corollas. Not sure if they were all sold, or if they were just moved back.

MJones_RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:06 PM   #73
Adam_L

Drives: '16 FR-S RS2 MT, '06 xA Polar MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotlavaFRSGT86 View Post
Well unfortunately everything depreciates at a ridiculous rate, unless you got a damn 12 year old Evo 8 and u can still resell it for 75% of what it cost when was new, or a damn overpriced Ferrari. I do agree with everybody that the 86's are overpriced or if they came stock with a few more things and 250 Hp it might outweigh the sticker price. Depreciation is always high for the first few years, but in any light i love my FRS for the sexy as hell looks, wonderful handling and decent acceleration(slowly adding mods to make it faster).
A Release series FRS, or "series blue" BRZ in general will hold value better over the years (higher resale value). They are higher priced to begin with , however given they are limited at a much lower supply level then a regular FRS/BRZ color (white, red, etc) the large majority of time with cars they hold value better. Given this is a sports car, that adds another dimension. At any given time there might be 1-3 Release series/ or Series Blue cars available for sale across the country. So it depends upon how many potential buyers are looking for that car at a particular point in time. As opposed to doing a search for a red FRS , it will yield 10+ used cars with in 500 miles. A red BRZ, will be even harder to find then a red FRS ( given same year range searched for)... and so on.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:38 PM   #74
WolfsFang
Scrape Master

Drives: Goal: Oldest FRS State Side
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Yep 8600 is about right

Oh im one of the 86 people who bought the car in may
Tcoat (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 11:13 PM   #75
SCQTT
ZWEI KOLBEN

Drives: 2017 86 Halo 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I doubt there will be a version "2.0" I'm sure this car is considered a flop, they are just trying to amortize their R&D and tooling.

Toyota does not really seem that interested in selling Japanese made cars, but they will nearly give you a Mississippi or Canadian built Corolla.

Toyota killed the FJ Cruiser and it averaged about 29K units a year in the US, +10% if you add in Canada, over its 7 year run.

The chart shows The Miata as an "ND", it should be NC, NC - 06-15.........ND is 16+

There will never be another rotary, never ever. The NC Miata used the same chassis as the RX8....Really dying for an RX9? That MX5 RF is as close as it is ever going to get.

Hate the "this car is not for you" advertising? (It is brilliant by the way) You are wrong. Human nature is to want things that we are told are not for us....or rather we are not good enough for it. Yep, they clearly say it is NOT for picking up groceries, your grandma or lugging the kids around....What do they show? Fun, the things they say the car is NOT for are largely NOT fun. Get it?

The automotive enthusiast is a dying breed. When I was a kid you broke your neck getting your license as soon as you turned 16, now people would rather have the newest phone. Marketing anything for people younger than 30 years old is a nightmare.

I bought the 86 on a whim because I thought it might be one of the very last cars made that I can turn almost all driving aids off.

Consider what the product planners are faced with at an automotive company. Look on this forum at the different things people expect and demand on a simple model like this platform. When a manufacturer can stamp out and ship Corollas and Civics and can amortize the R&D & tooling over millions of units it is hard to justify something like our car. Product managers often use focus groups, but when you do that you start removing any "offensive" design or feature and suddenly you have created a bar of soap. Sure no one hates it, but no one loves it either. I've heard it is so bad at Toyota that some of the product people have started recording the actual comments of the consumers at shows because of the crazy ass shit people say motivates them to buy......the upper management simply would not believe it.

Great cars are designed by one person or a small team....consumer be damned. Polarizing design is too much of a risk in this day and age, but if you had a car that 95% of the humans hated it, but 5% would sell their children to own it.....well you would have a huge success.
SCQTT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SCQTT For This Useful Post:
bkharmony (03-06-2017), daiheadjai (03-04-2017), Mr.Impreza (03-02-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 11:30 PM   #76
Calvin27

Drives: GTS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT View Post
I doubt there will be a version "2.0" I'm sure this car is considered a flop, they are just trying to amortize their R&D and tooling.
I'm not 100% sure Toyota necessarily targeted a profit line for this car - more of a marketing exercise. In any case I think they can afford to keep the cars ticking over for another 3-5 years.

After that it will be interesting to see what happens when this car reaches end of life - which could be not that far ahead I admit. What will Subaru and Toyota agree on? I doubt they will just scrap the chassis - it's the best part. Seriously though whack a mother of a turbo and some supporting changes for minimum cost and there you have another few thousand a month ready to pull the trigger. The development costs are 90% sunk already so it can be priced very aggressively to basically destroy all the other 150kW+ hot hatches out there.
Calvin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:15 AM   #77
Overdrive
Sittin' Sideways

Drives: 2016 Toyota FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
They'll put a turbo inline-4 in it and bring back the Celica nameplate, while Subaru continues putting in FA20s but without the D4S and add the turbo everyone keeps whining about (aka WRX guts) --- detuned a bit so as not to make you wonder why the heck you're spending so much money on a WRX with the same engine and power, and we'll keep on keeping on with two very different beasts running the same chassis.

Sure, it's thin and unlikely, but if it does happen, you heard it here first.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:27 AM   #78
Calvin27

Drives: GTS
Lol if Toyota do that they might as well call it an s16 since nissan has been piss farting for so long they don't deserve to keep the silvia legacy!

I can't see Toyota doing a straight 4 turbo in there, but subaru with FA20DIT is much more likely imo. They can afford to jack the wrx price up a bit now that the evos are gone.
Calvin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:00 PM   #79
Kutanks

Drives: 2013 Firestorm 6MT,2005 Saabaru 5MT
Well the dealers near me are absolutely clueless about this car. I asked a salesman about the 86, if they had any I could test out and he tried to get me to buy a corolla or a Camry. When I insisted that I needed something sporty with a manual he suggested a Yaris! Toyota must be losing money on every single one
Kutanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:02 PM   #80
Prax

Drives: 2017 BRZ Inazuma Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutanks View Post
Well the dealers near me are absolutely clueless about this car. I asked a salesman about the 86, if they had any I could test out and he tried to get me to buy a corolla or a Camry. When I insisted that I needed something sporty with a manual he suggested a Yaris! Toyota must be losing money on every single one
Go talk to Subaru, it's really a Subaru at heart.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Prax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:11 PM   #81
dutchman1

Drives: 2017 86 6-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutanks View Post
Might just depend on the sales guy. They were quite eager to sell me mine.
dutchman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:43 PM   #82
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prax View Post
Go talk to Subaru, it's really a Subaru at heart.

They only assemble them. The Subaru dealers would be just as happy to put you I something else as well.
daiheadjai (03-06-2017)
Old 03-04-2017, 08:57 PM   #83
Prax

Drives: 2017 BRZ Inazuma Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
They only assemble them. The Subaru dealers would be just as happy to put you I something else as well.
Fair enough, it seems like it was an experiment that neither really wanted to fully support.

Glad they did it though, I love my BRZ!

Prax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:30 PM   #84
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prax View Post
Fair enough, it seems like it was an experiment that neither really wanted to fully support.

Glad they did it though, I love my BRZ!

Not really an "experiment" and Toyota dove into with gusto. Subaru may not have been quite as enthusiastic but they were not forced into the partnership either. Automotive companies don't do things they don't really want too.
Give this a read. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5274
daiheadjai (03-06-2017), Prax (03-04-2017)