follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 06-29-2012, 12:24 PM   #449
driftartist
Kurenai Samurai

Drives: Red and manual
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
We should just have hella guys meet up and caravan to toyota with that issue to show how many are doing it then they will see how serious it is and make more of an effort to fix it hahahaha. Idk.
driftartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:57 PM   #450
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by R8 View Post
P0018 TOYOTA - Crankshaft Position Camshaft Position Correlation Bank 2 Sensor 'A'

Possible causes

- Dirty Oil
- Variable Valve Timing (VVT) sensor circuit is open or shorted
- Variable Valve Timing (VVT) sensor poor electrical connection
- Faulty Variable Valve Timing (VVT) sensor
- Damaged ECM
danthedirt said this is almost the same exact code that was pulled in his thread here (he had P0019):

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...t=10069&page=5
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:28 PM   #451
ahausheer
Re-member

Drives: Toyota camry
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Just a thought: To put pressure on Toyota and Subaru we need to start looking at this issue as a ''Safety Issue'' and not simply an idle issue. If your car has the potential to crap out while driving I would say safety is involved. Its not like the radio isn't working, its an unpredictable drive-ability issue. Heres the headline, '' FR-S owner's engine crapped out while driving, the loss of power steering and power brakes lead to an accident''. This could be unintended acceleration round 2. They need to figure this out, which im sure they are. But for me at least I will follow this thread regarding the ''safety'' issue.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:38 PM   #452
TuxedoCartman
Banned

Drives: '13 86
Okay, whoa... everybody calm down! Just chill for a minute. All this talk of "putting pressure on Toyota/ Scion/ Subaru" to "do something about this problem!" or "make more of an effort to fix it!"...what are you expecting them to do?

Has anybody encountered any REAL resistance from corporate over the problems with this car? To date, I haven't heard of Toyota turning customers away at the door, saying "Cricket noises and rough idling are part of the soul of owning a sports car; it's a feature, not a defect." Rather, what stood out to me was that they're flying engineers over from Japan to look at cars having this problem, to try to get to the bottom of it.

I know unknown engine problems are scary, but you guys gotta remember one very important thing: this car has been on sale in America (to the general public) for less than a month. A MONTH!!! So if you're expecting them to diagnose a problem that's somehow slipped through the cracks in their thousands of hours of testing, device a fix, and have it distributed to dealerships across the country in that amount of time (to say nothing of the fact that this didn't show up immediately, or the communications delays between service centers and corporate)... you're in for a LOT of disappointment.

Patience, guys....
TuxedoCartman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TuxedoCartman For This Useful Post:
Chewie4299 (06-29-2012), eriktherod (06-29-2012), ZmZMWagon (06-29-2012)
Old 06-29-2012, 04:43 PM   #453
eriktherod

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Firestorm Red MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
^ This.

Not to mention that a solution to the problem has to be tested and verified. After all, the problem didn't exist when they sent the car out for production (at least we assume). The whole testing and distribution of parts/service material will take at least another month to cover the large markets.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:48 PM   #454
ahausheer
Re-member

Drives: Toyota camry
^ you are right. I rescind my overreaction.
TuxedoCartman (06-29-2012)
Old 06-29-2012, 05:04 PM   #455
V1B

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Just curious what do u feel that u determine rough iddle?
V1B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:15 PM   #456
KeepGuessing

Drives: e30 150 deville etc etc
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Nissan had the SAME thing happen to the Maxima a few years back state side, and Toyota did a with the Celica when it's popularity flared up state side.

In the end, they did absolutely nothing to correct the issues, they swept it under the rug and eventually released a "replacement" model, ie the next one in the lineup...Chances are the same thing will happen here... A good 20-30% of customers will have problems...10-15% will actually vocalize their problems..... 5% will see results from Toyota/subaru.... Then the mk2/2.0/2nd gen will be released making 10 more horsepower and have the "unrecognized problem" corrected or at least an ATTEMPT at correcting...If they fail to fix it the 2nd time around, then you guys will have some legs to stand on to get it fixed au gratis.

If BMW managed to fix their High pressure fuel pumps the 2nd time they tried, no one would have gotten any kind of "free ecu update and replacement" on their 335i's....

Tis the way the world works.
KeepGuessing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KeepGuessing For This Useful Post:
csaba (06-29-2012)
Old 06-29-2012, 05:58 PM   #457
FRSCoupe

Drives: Toyota
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepGuessing View Post
Nissan had the SAME thing happen to the Maxima a few years back state side, and Toyota did a with the Celica when it's popularity flared up state side.

In the end, they did absolutely nothing to correct the issues, they swept it under the rug and eventually released a "replacement" model, ie the next one in the lineup...Chances are the same thing will happen here... A good 20-30% of customers will have problems...10-15% will actually vocalize their problems..... 5% will see results from Toyota/subaru.... Then the mk2/2.0/2nd gen will be released making 10 more horsepower and have the "unrecognized problem" corrected or at least an ATTEMPT at correcting...If they fail to fix it the 2nd time around, then you guys will have some legs to stand on to get it fixed au gratis.

If BMW managed to fix their High pressure fuel pumps the 2nd time they tried, no one would have gotten any kind of "free ecu update and replacement" on their 335i's....

Tis the way the world works.
I think you are wrong, it's still very early with few units sold, if the manufacturer can identify the problem whether is defective parts or design, they can fix it.

The engines that are already out there can still get recalled.
FRSCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:15 PM   #458
driftartist
Kurenai Samurai

Drives: Red and manual
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Im just gonna get a prius. And save the earth.
driftartist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to driftartist For This Useful Post:
adprokid (06-29-2012)
Old 06-29-2012, 06:35 PM   #459
dirk_diggler

Drives: 2011 BMW 328i Coupe M-Sport 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftartist View Post
It's like putting your balls in a jar just because you got married. Lol

Jokes aside, a slightly used 3 series is starting to look good.
dirk_diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:02 PM   #460
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk_diggler View Post
It's like putting your balls in a jar just because you got married. Lol

Jokes aside, a slightly used 3 series is starting to look good.
Only if you want more expensive problems...
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:12 PM   #461
Chewie4299
Spaceman

Drives: 2013 Firestorm Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftartist View Post
Actually, while the Prius may save you money on gas it actually does more damage to the environment to produce them than it protects during its service life.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Chewie4299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:24 PM   #462
KeepGuessing

Drives: e30 150 deville etc etc
Prius battery packs = more terrible than a car burning a quart of oil a week over the span of ~10 years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSCoupe View Post
I think you are wrong, it's still very early with few units sold, if the manufacturer can identify the problem whether is defective parts or design, they can fix it.

The engines that are already out there can still get recalled.
There would be no point in doing so unless there is a potential for financial loss due to it.

Like i said, it happened with nissan and toyota and i'm sure plenty of other companies...Recalling the engine/car would right out of the gate, hurt sales. Whether you understand it as a smart consumer or not..Attaching the word "Recall" to a new car will cause a drop in sales....Unless there is substantial enough reasoning to do a recall (as in it will hurt people&profits in the long run) the most you'll see is a "service bulletin" in a few months for something a dealership might give you a "deal" on.

Ponder this for a moment will you?
In this forum alone we've got a good strong share of owners who aren't blinded by their pockets or purchase..
We get to see first hand multiple owners takes on both the positives and negatives.. We have this idle issue being mentioned, we have noises being made from mechanical issues in the pulley system. Yet NONE of these issues will ever be brought up in a major publication, so they won't be addressed because the masses won't hear about it.

But the MOST interesting thing (to me at least) is the seat and it's support.

I was flabbergasted when i read the thread on lumbar supper/ not comfortable. Mainly because every article every report every opinion every comparison everything...The dozens upon dozens of write ups on this car... And Not a SINGLE person has mentioned that the seat can cause some severe back pain due to little to no support. There is NO way that among all the people who tried this out, not a single person left with this uncomfortable experience.

Had it NOT been for that SINGLE thread it will probably continually go absolutely un-noticed.

But that's a prime example that REAL clarity on the fit/function/fun of this car will NEVER be properly illustrated by test drivers/journalists...

I know that's somewhat of a tangent, but that illustrates my point that if it doesn't SELL cars or cause cars to NOT sell...It won't get mentioned

Last edited by KeepGuessing; 06-29-2012 at 08:44 PM.
KeepGuessing is offline   Reply With Quote