follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southwest

Southwest AZ, NM, NV, OK, TX, UT

User Tag List

Old 06-06-2014, 06:02 PM   #29
Extreme86
Live Free, Drive Hard

Drives: 13 BRZ, 19 WRX, 10 GMC, 20 RAV4
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
All right everyone, @Extreme86 is being a go to guy for me to help plan this thing. He being my eyes down there and is helping address a few of the things I want to avoid that we struggled with last year.
Thanks, Dustin! I've been responsible for planning a few 86 runs or so out to Twisted Sisters near Leakey, Texas (I've lost count actually) and we have a group of experienced drivers from Austin and San Antonio that hopefully will volunteer to be group leaders so we can split up into smaller "teams" of drivers so to speak. Maybe do it by car colors or something.

We'd space each group out with about 3-4 minutes between them, a lead driver will be knowledgeable of the road, sets the pace, slows down to create a gap from slower traffic ahead (if encountered) so we don't run up behind the slower moving vehicles on the twisties. Keeps the whole event a bit safer on the curves because of this and is more fun this way so we can aggressively attack the numerous curvy twisty sections of roads. There are some areas we see radar traps on a regular basis and we use precaution in those spots. Our goal is to be safe and to have fun.

Dustin & I are still going over details and we'll eventually collaborate and come up with a concise roll chart. Go over some details to make this enjoyable for everyone. We'll have ample opportunity to visit at the end of the run and have lunch together. Pretty sure we'll stop along the road at the Nueces for a photo opportunity that would appear something like this:

Our San Antonio / Austin groups have had 3 or 4 great runs together with very few slow down encounters. We put an emphasis on respecting other drivers, keep in the right lane at all times, staying extremely alert and ramping it down when we see bike riders and motorcycles in great numbers. I can guarantee that at some point on this run you will experience an adrenalin rush and if your windows are down, you will smell brake pads if you keep up with the lead car on the twisties. We ask that in each group that aggressive drivers cue up behind the lead car and those that want to be a bit more conservative to stay to the rear of the pack.

Did I mention the scenery is beautiful?

More info to follow from Dustin very soon on the statewide meet and Twisted Sisters run!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scavanger View Post
So i tried to open up the map to see where the run would be, and the stupid gov computers wont allow it haha.. so where is this run at and what type of run is it?
Basically, Ranch Roads 337, 336 and 335 and a couple of stretches on Hwy 41 and 55 to connect it all up. Numerous hills, valleys, twists and turns and most of it is in a remote area. There is no cell phone service where we are going. Usually, very little traffic is encountered if we do it right. We initially meet up in Medina, Texas and drive to Leakey, Texas - do the sisters (the 3 ranch roads) and then wind up back in Leakey for lunch. From Medina to the point we have lunch together in Leakey is approx 133 miles of fast driving in a group of cars. Your govt. CAC card won't give you common access huh? Stupid govt. computers...been there, done that!
Old 06-13-2014, 12:43 AM   #30
jLoBRZ

Drives: '14 SWP BRZ M/T
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Hmmm... @trevorovert, do I follow through as Maid of Honor or do we participate in this? (;
jLoBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:32 AM   #31
86-tundra
Troll Hunter

Drives: fr-s, tundra
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jLoBRZ View Post
Hmmm... @trevorovert, do I follow through as Maid of Honor or do we participate in this? (;
I don't know why I forgot to put "And I"
Old 06-13-2014, 09:01 AM   #32
FRS_FIEND
Whats next?

Drives: '13 Asphalt FRS MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
@Extreme86 I'm definitely going to attempt to make it! Ill just get a hotel room for friday night so i can do the sisters run sat. morning. Im no longer going FI so no worries on that portion, I hope all my suspension parts, wheels, and a few comsetics will come in time for the 9th so im not bringing my stock ass looking frs lol. Well see!
FRS_FIEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:16 AM   #33
Extreme86
Live Free, Drive Hard

Drives: 13 BRZ, 19 WRX, 10 GMC, 20 RAV4
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS_FIEND View Post
@Extreme86 I'm definitely going to attempt to make it! Ill just get a hotel room for friday night so i can do the sisters run sat. morning. Im no longer going FI so no worries on that portion, I hope all my suspension parts, wheels, and a few comsetics will come in time for the 9th so im not bringing my stock ass looking frs lol. Well see!
Sounds like a plan! Stock suspension is more desirable on the run over being lowered. There are a few high speed dips you will bottom out on that way. Getting ready right now to do the Sisters this morning!! Should be fun.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:31 AM   #34
FRS_FIEND
Whats next?

Drives: '13 Asphalt FRS MT
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme86 View Post
Sounds like a plan! Stock suspension is more desirable on the run over being lowered. There are a few high speed dips you will bottom out on that way. Getting ready right now to do the Sisters this morning!! Should be fun.

Haha nice! bottoming out is always exciting lol Sweet dude take pictures and videos if you can! I want to see this sisters run lol
FRS_FIEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:03 AM   #35
AteMyShorts

Drives: Scion FRS Whiteout
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Sounds like the meet is shaping up. San Antonio and Austin did a joint Twisted Sisters run yesterday (June 14th). We had a really great time. Some super pics at http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25908

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
AteMyShorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 01:45 PM   #36
Dustin
Twin Screw You

Drives: 2013 Supercharged Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
All right everyone I'm back from my vacation and will be focusing more on this. I've already spoken with the manager at Bent Rim Grill to let them know that we are coming for lunch. I need to let them know a few days in advance though an approximate number of people will be attending so if you know you are coming for sure, post it up here and let me know if you will have a plus 1 or 2 or whatever. They need to make sure they order enough to compensate for the extra people. I'm going over a lengthy PM that @Extreme86 sent me and will post the main points that he suggests.

Also, the manager said we have 2 options for ordering the food. We could have it set up as a catering option with a bunch of food and then divide the total among the number of people coming or everyone can order individually. What do you guys want to do?
Dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dustin For This Useful Post:
AteMyShorts (06-15-2014), Extreme86 (06-16-2014)
Old 06-15-2014, 01:49 PM   #37
AteMyShorts

Sounds great. They have an inexpensive diverse menu. I've seen large crowds before. I would suggest just letting people order. Thanks for putting together. We ate there yesterday!

Sent from my iThing using Tapatalk
Old 06-15-2014, 02:20 PM   #38
Dustin
Twin Screw You

Drives: 2013 Supercharged Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AteMyShorts View Post
Sounds great. They have an inexpensive diverse menu. I've seen large crowds before. I would suggest just letting people order. Thanks for putting together. We ate there yesterday!

That's what I was thinking. Everyone order for themselves. I updated the first post with kind of an itinerary and a list of attendees. If you don't see your name on there and will be coming, let me know.
Dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dustin For This Useful Post:
AteMyShorts (06-15-2014), Extreme86 (06-16-2014)
Old 06-15-2014, 02:38 PM   #39
Jyn
Noob

Drives: FR-S Mammogram
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Order separately - trust me, you don't want to be the one organizing that
Old 06-15-2014, 03:35 PM   #40
TEWwild

Drives: 2015 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Add me to the list! Lookin' fwd to it, couldn't make yesterday's run due to work...
TEWwild is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TEWwild For This Useful Post:
AteMyShorts (06-15-2014), Dustin (06-16-2014)
Old 06-15-2014, 06:51 PM   #41
Kriser

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Garage
I'll definitely be making to the run. I'll bring a set of walkies also
Kriser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kriser For This Useful Post:
Dustin (06-16-2014)
Old 06-15-2014, 06:55 PM   #42
AteMyShorts

Please add me to the list. I can't miss this!

The Following User Says Thank You to AteMyShorts For This Useful Post:
Dustin (06-16-2014)