follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southern California

Southern California SoCal

User Tag List

Old 07-31-2017, 12:54 PM   #1
Chronology

Drives: 13' Satin White Pearl BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Syncro Issue - Odds of replacement?

Hi everyone,

I have been having an issue like some in the tech forum going from 4th -> 5th over 5k rpm.

I have replaced the trans fluid twice, OEM - > Motul -> Torco and yet no changes in the "grind" I feel. While I don't need to force the gear, it ends up going in after RPM drop.

I have zero issues in any other gear up or down shifting. Never missed a gear, and never over-rev'ed during a down shift, a few close money shifts in 2nd/3rd but thats it.

What should I tell the dealer, what dealer should I go to? I am in Claremont so Claremont Toyota is 2 min away, but I don't know if they are "tuner" friendly.

My main concern is that they are going to say I am modified and that caused the issue, visually its just rims/tires, (the rest of my mods are in my sig) However I have zero clutch issues, no TOB issues, and the problem only exists on 4th->5th, so unless I am doing mad freeway pulls with some crazy power I cannot see how they can take the stance of abuse.

Here is the thread I have been following - http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120513

Thanks!
RS*R Sport-I w/custom spring rate / Cusco Front/Rear Sways, Cusco Diff Brace / Cusco Power Brace (Rear/Front/Upper/Lower) / JDL UEL Headers / INVIDIA Q300 Ti / Valenti Revo Tails and rear backup/ EcuTek / Moto-East Flexfuel / Moto-East E85 tune

Last edited by Chronology; 07-31-2017 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Added tech thread
Chronology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:45 PM   #2
MJones_RB

Drives: Scion FR-S Series 10 #2462
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Unless you've modified your transmission somehow, it should still be covered by warranty. Def take it in if you are still covered.
MJones_RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:19 PM   #3
Chronology

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJones_RB View Post
Unless you've modified your transmission somehow, it should still be covered by warranty. Def take it in if you are still covered.
The 2 trans non OE is fluid and the Cusco trans brace. So I'm assuming I'm good.
RS*R Sport-I w/custom spring rate / Cusco Front/Rear Sways, Cusco Diff Brace / Cusco Power Brace (Rear/Front/Upper/Lower) / JDL UEL Headers / INVIDIA Q300 Ti / Valenti Revo Tails and rear backup/ EcuTek / Moto-East Flexfuel / Moto-East E85 tune
Old 07-31-2017, 08:47 PM   #4
Drakiv
Project Shadow

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronology View Post
Hi everyone,

I have been having an issue like some in the tech forum going from 4th -> 5th over 5k rpm.

I have replaced the trans fluid twice, OEM - > Motul -> Torco and yet no changes in the "grind" I feel. While I don't need to force the gear, it ends up going in after RPM drop.

I have zero issues in any other gear up or down shifting. Never missed a gear, and never over-rev'ed during a down shift, a few close money shifts in 2nd/3rd but thats it.

What should I tell the dealer, what dealer should I go to? I am in Claremont so Claremont Toyota is 2 min away, but I don't know if they are "tuner" friendly.

My main concern is that they are going to say I am modified and that caused the issue, visually its just rims/tires, (the rest of my mods are in my sig) However I have zero clutch issues, no TOB issues, and the problem only exists on 4th->5th, so unless I am doing mad freeway pulls with some crazy power I cannot see how they can take the stance of abuse.

Here is the thread I have been following - http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120513

Thanks!
They cannot deny a warranty claim unless they can prove that whatever your modification was regardless of if it was done to the transmission or not caused the issue. And they have to prove it, not just say it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus...s_Warranty_Act

Instagram: Drakiv
Drakiv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drakiv For This Useful Post:
Chronology (07-31-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 01:57 PM   #5
Chronology

Going to Claremont Toyota at noon. Wish me luck boys!
Old 08-02-2017, 04:04 PM   #6
Chronology

Well that visit while pleasant, didn't amount to anything.

Service Adviser: Did you change the badges on your car?
Me: Nope, its a Subaru
Service Adviser: This is Toyota
Me: Yep
Service Adviser: <Blank Stare>
Me: So my issue is.........
Service Adviser: This is Toyota, did you buy this car here?
Me: I assumed that the FRS/BRZ/86 are the same platform you can service the car
Service Adviser: I guess, but we cannot issue a warranty claim for your transmission since its not a toyota
Me: Oh
Service Adviser: But I can help you book a new appointment at Ontario
Me: Sweet

So I got a 2pm at Subaru Ontario, lets hope it goes better.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chronology For This Useful Post:
Decimus (08-03-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 11:56 AM   #7
Chronology

Good News, Subaru Ontario is looking at the car, as of Friday the tech said he is awaiting a tech call back. No ETA on the replacement or even what will be replaced.

At what point should I be asking for a loaner car from the dealer? Since I am under the 36k the SA told me its an option but ultimately up to the SA supervisor.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:40 PM   #8
Chronology

Better news today, kinda. The car is so far going to be taken care of under the 36k warranty, however they are out of loner cars until tomorrow morning.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chronology For This Useful Post:
NeverInTime (08-08-2017), StraightOuttaCanadaEh (08-08-2017)
Old 08-18-2017, 11:07 AM   #9
Chronology

I got the car back today, brand new trans. The fluid is still OE but I can change that once its broken in.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:13 AM   #10
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Excellent, congrats!
StraightOuttaCanadaEh is offline   Reply With Quote