follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum

BRZ Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum All photos, videos and other media related to the Subaru BRZ

User Tag List

Old 08-02-2013, 03:55 PM   #197
TouchMyHonda
Vtec Jesus

Drives: 13 BRZ, 13 Golf R, 15 Audi S4
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuhlka View Post
I don't have an appreciation for it because it makes no sense to me. Is it purely a style thing? I've seen videos of competitions where people are seemingly deliberately scraping their car's body over stuff. When I see those clips I cringe and think about how much $$$$ and time repairs will cost.

Does an airbag suspension ride really comfortably over bumps when it's not dropped extremely low? I like that they're adjustable, but damn, dropping it to the ground would be a bitch to get in and out of. The stock 86 is already really low and a little tricky to get in and out of until you're used to it.
You can adjust ridehight on the fly. That's parked height. The car handles better than stock.
TouchMyHonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:35 PM   #198

Drives: '23 CWP BRZ
Thanked 1,126 Times in 533 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Garage
I'm slammed down, maxed out on coilovers, and I don't really scrape often...

But yeah, I guess it is a purely aesthetic thing, I don't race my car.
636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:10 AM   #199
kuhlka

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited AT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxscaxx View Post
Your post did not come off as "genuine"...but he is on air, and does not drive that low. If you would have taken time to actually read the thread you would have seen that.

His ride height is most likely higher than a lot of people on this forum slamming their cars with crap coils to the max. I know mine is at least on my driving height.

There are people on this forum claiming they scrape at STOCK height... well i'm lowered more than the factory height at my driving height, with a lip, and I have never once scraped any part of my car.

My car rides great and drives great. I know his does too since we have the same air setup.
Thanks for the clarification, although I neither stated nor assumed the slammed car drove around in parked height. I still don't get the cool factor for parking like that, but whatever. Seems like the only major trade-off for a daily driver then would be the trunk space for the air compressors. I guess I'd have to drive a car with air to see how it compares to the Tein setup I've been considering for my STI. I want to get into rally with that car and use my BRZ as my daily + AutoX. If air is a viable option for SCCA, I'd consider it. I'd love to see some side-by-side video comparisons to back up Jive's claims.

Jive, the BRZ is my daily. My 05 STI is for racing. Aside from being slow off the line, the auto trans does everything I need it to do, plus I get to be a lazy bastard in stop and go traffic. If I want to go fast, I'll just hop in my STI, or maybe jump on my Ducati Diavel Carbon, or maybe the 1098... Besides, your knock on automatics just reveals your flat-out ignorance about racing. The fastest Subarus in rally, road racing, and drifting have an auto trans.

Respect is earned, not given away. Go back and re-read what I said. Not once did I say in this thread that lowering a car is horrible or lame or stupid. All I said was it looks broken parked like that and I didn't understand why people thought it looked cool. I still don't get why people thinking parking like that looks cool. If the reason to do it is to show off that you've got air suspension, fine. No need to be a about it.
kuhlka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:04 AM   #200
Jive Turkey
the tuna, no crust.

Drives: 2014 Hachiroku of the year
Thanked 1,770 Times in 761 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
i'm ignorant...because the auto trans in your brz is the same as a sequential transmissions in race cars...

also stay away from tein. another cheap, not well dampened coilover. do you have a budget in mind for coilovers for the GD? since you're looking to rally though it might be best for you to do a dedicated springs/strut setup because most coilovers lower you beyond stock height even fully raised, and you want clearance if you rally-cross or anything like that.

the other issue is price. most die hard auto-crossers will not spend 3k on air when you can spend 3k on a great coil over. they dont care to raise or lower the car. HOWEVER i've been emailing KW non stop because i want the kit that they offer for the front. which allowes you to raise the car when you need to get over or into places that would give you trouble. while my car isn't slammed, it is relatively low and some parking lots and roads in jersey are not friendly...EVEN for stock height BRZ's.

here is what i'm talking about.

http://www.kw-suspension.com/us/kw_hls.php
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:35 PM   #201
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,341 Times in 1,575 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
The fastest Subarus in rally, road racing, and drifting have an auto trans.
None of those really count as automatics.

I have yet to see a single competitive drift car using an automatic trans. Everything used in drift cars today are either stock MANUAL transmissions, sequential transmissions or dogboxes. All of which still utilize the clutch pedal to operate.

The transmission used in a full blown WRC is pretty advanced and expensive. It probably costs more than our entire cars. Normal automatics are nowhere near the same leauge.

Road racing- again pretty much all sequential and/or dogbox transmissions. There are PDK Porsche's and GTR's that race which use an "automatic" transmission as well, but those are dual clutch systems which are far better than the box used in the BRZ/FR-S.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
SirBrass (12-01-2013)
Old 08-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #202
HeubergerMotors

Drives: 2006 WRX TR
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
So dope it's lowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
HeubergerMotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:51 PM   #203
kuhlka

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited AT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
i'm ignorant...because the auto trans in your brz is the same as a sequential transmissions in race cars...

also stay away from tein. another cheap, not well dampened coilover. do you have a budget in mind for coilovers for the GD? since you're looking to rally though it might be best for you to do a dedicated springs/strut setup because most coilovers lower you beyond stock height even fully raised, and you want clearance if you rally-cross or anything like that.

the other issue is price. most die hard auto-crossers will not spend 3k on air when you can spend 3k on a great coil over. they dont care to raise or lower the car. HOWEVER i've been emailing KW non stop because i want the kit that they offer for the front. which allowes you to raise the car when you need to get over or into places that would give you trouble. while my car isn't slammed, it is relatively low and some parking lots and roads in jersey are not friendly...EVEN for stock height BRZ's.

here is what i'm talking about.

http://www.kw-suspension.com/us/kw_hls.php
Yeah, I'm not saying the trans in the BRZ is the same as actual race cars. However, for a daily driver and the times I've done AutoX, it's done the job and shifted nearly as fast as I can snick through in my STI, except with zero chance of a missed shift. I only AutoX it for fun, not competitively. The auto is just too damn slow off the line so I just have fun drifting around cones. The paddles are nice when I'm hauling through mountain roads. If my wife is down, I might just go to Deal's Gap next week. At the very least I'll be hitting Skyline Drive and some of the other twisites around here next week.

The STI will probably end up getting dedicated rally coils, but they're on the backburner after seeing the price of the stuff the North America rally guys use. Genuine rally coils are like 10k+. I know some guys on IWSTI were running some ebay coils for under 2k, but I'd rather buy one rebuildable set and be done. I think it was around 3k. If my wife is cool with it, I'd like to do a full hoon build and get that sequential trans kit I've been eyeing. Major upgrades can wait, though. First stop is going to be Dirtfish rally school so I can get a professional opinion and see how their cars are set up.

IAG is just down the road from where I'm living now. I should stop in and see they've built any cars with air suspension.
kuhlka is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kuhlka For This Useful Post:
Jive Turkey (08-07-2013)
Old 08-07-2013, 11:57 PM   #204
Jive Turkey
the tuna, no crust.

Drives: 2014 Hachiroku of the year
Thanked 1,770 Times in 761 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quote:
IAG is just down the road from where I'm living now. I should stop in and see they've built any cars with air suspension.
they have. i'm almost positive their mint green FRS is on air.
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:43 PM   #205
DreamBRZ

Drives: 92' Jeep Wrangler
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Absolutely loving your red BRZ . Super clean yet slightly aggressive, couldn't be better in my opinion. Never would have thought that white rims on a red BRZ would end up looking so fresh. Seriously loving everything about your car and I have to say, the shots you got with your friend are perfect .

If possible I would like to know the specs on your wheels and suspension. Have been looking XT-7s as a possible contender for rims once I get a BRZ haha. Thanks man and keep up the amazing work .
DreamBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:09 PM   #206
kybrz

Drives: SWP Brz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Cars look Great! huge fan of the Rotiforms!
kybrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:58 PM   #207
Richyjc

Drives: brz
nice pictures.
Richyjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:36 PM   #208
Turbo95eg6

Drives: 2014 BRZ SWP LTD
Thanked 2,266 Times in 858 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Nice Car. Love the SWP... Wish I could slam mine like I used to do with my Hondas, but just can't do it anymore... I do enjoy seeing people pull stuff like this off tho, bags or not.
Turbo95eg6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:38 PM   #209
Aegrizz

Drives: Frs
Quote:
Originally Posted by ill roller View Post
Womp womp!

BRZ Underpass by AJ Gillett, on Flickr

BRZ Underpass by AJ Gillett, on Flickr
Whats your suspension set up bro? love the your brz!
Aegrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:20 AM   #210
humanshield

Drives: bucket
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegrizz View Post
Whats your suspension set up bro? love the your brz!
seriously? his first post in the whole thread states...stance coils. how did you miss this?
humanshield is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brz forum, brz forums, subaru brz, subaru brz forum, subaru brz forums