follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 09-30-2018, 10:59 AM   #1
FRSFather

Drives: Silver 10 series
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Dealer or shop for TOB and clutch replacement?

2013 FR-S 50k miles. What has been everyone’s experience here? My daughters throw out bearing went out last night, and it’s not something I feel comfortable tackling myself. While I’m changing the TOB, I mine as well change the clutch and fly wheel. Several questions for y’all.

1. I’ve noticed on here a lot of talk about the OLD TOB replacement part, and to make sure I get a NEW version of the bearing. How will I know if it’s the new version vs the old?

2. Will a regular shop even know what I’m talking about, or do y’all recommend just taking it to a Subaru dealer repair shop where they are familiar with these engines?

3. I think I can get it to the repair shop, but will it hurt the car even more if I drive it to the shop? When I press the clutch I hear wining and grinding and so on. Doesn’t sound good, but I can get it in gear and once I left off the clutch it drives fine, should I tow it, or will it be ok to limp to the shop?

4. Any recommendations for a shop the works on these cars and are familiar around the Fort Worth area? There is a Subaru dealer in Grapevine I might take it too.

Thanks for the responses, this group is alway really good and alway helps me out a ton!
FRSFather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 11:02 AM   #2
murdoc
Sometimes I'm wrong.

Drives: '13 FR-S/'96 240SX
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
My lazy ass would probably just drive it. Roll up to stops slow and shift without clutching.
murdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 11:15 AM   #3
FRSFather

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdoc View Post
My lazy ass would probably just drive it. Roll up to stops slow and shift without clutching.
LOL if it was me I probably would do that, but it’s my daughters car so I gotta make sure it’s good.
Old 09-30-2018, 03:16 PM   #4
sato

Drives: Dodge Patitas
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
When I had my throw out bearing replaced, the technician thought the clutch was OK but felt the pressure plate was not up to his standards. Mind you, these two parts got replaced under warranty at approximately 59k miles. I do tend to be easy on clutches in my cars. Take it to somebody you trust to have those components verified, if your vehicle has low mileage to avoid replacing parts that are still in good shape.

Oh, most importantly, make sure you get the new updated throw out bearing P/N. And, dont forget to ensure pivot ball is refreshed with good lube as it can be a source of problems.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
sato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:48 PM   #5
GrantedTaken
Banned

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
How long is the BRZ warranty?
First owner only?
GrantedTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 07:21 PM   #6
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSFather View Post
2013 FR-S 50k miles. What has been everyone’s experience here? My daughters throw out bearing went out last night, and it’s not something I feel comfortable tackling myself. While I’m changing the TOB, I mine as well change the clutch and fly wheel. Several questions for y’all.

1. I’ve noticed on here a lot of talk about the OLD TOB replacement part, and to make sure I get a NEW version of the bearing. How will I know if it’s the new version vs the old?

2. Will a regular shop even know what I’m talking about, or do y’all recommend just taking it to a Subaru dealer repair shop where they are familiar with these engines?

3. I think I can get it to the repair shop, but will it hurt the car even more if I drive it to the shop? When I press the clutch I hear wining and grinding and so on. Doesn’t sound good, but I can get it in gear and once I left off the clutch it drives fine, should I tow it, or will it be ok to limp to the shop?

4. Any recommendations for a shop the works on these cars and are familiar around the Fort Worth area? There is a Subaru dealer in Grapevine I might take it too.

Thanks for the responses, this group is alway really good and alway helps me out a ton!
You can have the job done in an independent shop and ask that they source oem parts.
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 07:31 PM   #7
JonAvalon
SCBYD0

Drives: 18 BRZ (WRB)
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Subaru of Grapevine does good work from my experience, very clean shop. They have done TOB warranty repair on my WRX before.

Toyota of Grapevine was good to me a few years ago but I don't know how they are now. I'd see if the TOB can replaced under warranty and then just pay for new clutch at the same time.

Otherwise there are plenty of shops around the west side of the metroplex that are twin/Subaru experienced: ATS Racing (Denton), AWD Tuning (Flower Mound), Auto Science (Lewisville) and PRT Performance (Lewisville) at the top of my head.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:44 PM   #8
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
If you have all the tools to change a clutch on a 90's car you can do it on this car. It's straight forward if you look at some YouTube videos. I done it in my garage, while drunk, a sore back and just being mad all the time. Took me about 8 hours. Well 4 hours one day another 4 hours the next day . So I'll sure you can do it.

As for the other questions
1. You could google it, call the dealer parts department, or look up the online parts catolog.

2. Yes any shop would know what you are talking about. There is nothing new about the drive train layout on a rwd car since the 50's. Any good mechanic shop will do the job.

3. You could move it if need be but I wouldn't drive it more then 25 miles. The worst that would happen is you'll need the shaft cover the tob rides on. That's another $120 you have to replace.
4. I'm sure some local guys would chime in on that one.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.ac For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (09-30-2018)
Old 09-30-2018, 08:54 PM   #9
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdoc View Post
That gets old really fast. Believe me.

Quote:

Make sure you get the part number on the TSB below. Double check them since some still have the old part number in the system.

You may be able to drive it but if you push it too hard it will take out the whole clutch. Turns a $200 repair into a $1200 one in a hurry. Believe me!

gravitylover (09-30-2018)
Old 09-30-2018, 10:13 PM   #10
GrantedTaken
Banned

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I would just replace everything while you're in there.
Parts are cheap. Labor is not.
GrantedTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrantedTaken For This Useful Post:
humfrz (10-01-2018)
Old 09-30-2018, 10:39 PM   #11
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Dealer or shop for TOB and clutch replacement?

If you take it to Toyota then go there with the TSB printed and hand it to them to be sure they use the new part. If they have the old part in stock I wouldn’t put it past them to use that one regardless of your request and there is no way to know which one you get without dropping the tranny. At 55k your clutch and flywheel are probably fine. If you take it to another shop I would buy the TOB yourself and bring it to them to install. You are fine to drive the car to the shop.

The new TOB is $20 and you can get an OEM clutch/flywheel/TOB/pilot bearing kit for about $375 on amazon. I wouldn’t use the TOB from the kit, use the one you order from Toyota. Anyways, just to give you an idea of what all the parts cost.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
humfrz (10-01-2018), sato (09-30-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 07:03 PM   #12
redfred

Drives: Red BRZ
Just happened to my car, 2013 with 109k miles. Drove it to the shop, OK. Flywheel was OK, had clutch and TOB bearing replaced by dealer. Dealer was knowledgeable about the upgraded TOB, and cost was eleven hundred - reasonable in my opinion. Car drives like new again.
redfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 05:37 PM   #13
FRSFather

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfred View Post
Just happened to my car, 2013 with 109k miles. Drove it to the shop, OK. Flywheel was OK, had clutch and TOB bearing replaced by dealer. Dealer was knowledgeable about the upgraded TOB, and cost was eleven hundred - reasonable in my opinion. Car drives like new again.
Yeah I ended up asking it to a transmission shop near me. 1100, if the flywheel needs replacement it’ll be an extra 400. The Subaru dealer wanted 1600+. I showed the shop that new part number and they wrote it down to order it.

Thanks for all the reply’s, I’ll update as soon as I get it back.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FRSFather For This Useful Post:
humfrz (10-02-2018), Tcoat (10-02-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 06:02 PM   #14
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yeah I ended up asking it to a transmission shop near me. 1100, if the flywheel needs replacement it’ll be an extra 400. The Subaru dealer wanted 1600+. I showed the shop that new part number and they wrote it down to order it.

Thanks for all the reply’s, I’ll update as soon as I get it back.
If the flywheel is not bad they can have it resurfaces for way under $400. Mine had to be resurfaced.