follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > NY / NJ / CT / PA

NY / NJ / CT / PA NY, NJ, CT, PA

User Tag List

Old 08-23-2018, 09:26 AM   #15
Soloside
-Phil's BIGGEST FAN BOI

Drives: 2014 Greddy Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
That hilariously untrue, that's dictated by how your tune handles fueling tables, AFR and load tables. Driving comparatively, I can get the same MPG with the Stage 2 UEL 93 octane tune as with the stock tune with stock UEL. I've made considerable tune edits to my 93 tunes to achieve this without loss of power, of course when I'm flooring it all the time the 93 tune will do worse than flooring it with the stock uels and tune, obviously the trade off for more power.

stock factory tune for a stock car is the most optimal tune in terms of MPG/POWER am I not correct?

Unless you're telling me adding more power throughout the band is going to improve your mpgs
Old 08-23-2018, 10:35 AM   #16
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soloside View Post
stock factory tune for a stock car is the most optimal tune in terms of MPG/POWER am I not correct?

Unless you're telling me adding more power throughout the band is going to improve your mpgs
Not really - factory tune is usually a compromise with large safety margins built in to ensure reliability with a variety of fuel qualities, environments, and usage conditions.

Specifically, aftermarket tune gains mostly come from optimization of timing advance and fuel mixture. Factory tunes usually run slightly richer than what's optimal for power, and less timing advance than what's optimal for power - both will ensure somewhat cooler cylinder temps, slightly lower cylinder pressures, and more protection against knock. Aftermarket tunes push AF ratios & timing advance curves closer to 'optimal for power'. But more optimal AF ratios & timing advance also equals better MPG. This is oversimplifying things a bit but in general optimized factory tunes should return better power AND MPG while sacrificing some margin for knock/reliability in less than ideal fuel conditions.
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 11:08 AM   #17
Soloside
-Phil's BIGGEST FAN BOI

Drives: 2014 Greddy Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank1972 View Post
Not really - factory tune is usually a compromise with large safety margins built in to ensure reliability with a variety of fuel qualities, environments, and usage conditions.

Specifically, aftermarket tune gains mostly come from optimization of timing advance and fuel mixture. Factory tunes usually run slightly richer than what's optimal for power, and less timing advance than what's optimal for power - both will ensure somewhat cooler cylinder temps, slightly lower cylinder pressures, and more protection against knock. Aftermarket tunes push AF ratios & timing advance curves closer to 'optimal for power'. But more optimal AF ratios & timing advance also equals better MPG. This is oversimplifying things a bit but in general optimized factory tunes should return better power AND MPG while sacrificing some margin for knock/reliability in less than ideal fuel conditions.

ahh I see. Thanks for the explanation!
Old 08-23-2018, 10:44 PM   #18
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soloside View Post

@bfrank1972 took the words right off my keyboard

In a way you are correct:

The stock tune is optimized for the best timing, and AFR for the stock header and air filter. Its also covers a "wider range" of fuel types from 87 (worst case against owners manual recommendation)-93 (best case but is still held back). They also have been data-logged and proven to run unnecessarily rich in most cases, thats why stage 1 tunes are showing better MPG and power than stock in most cases. In a sense we trade the reliability and convenience of perfect performance in all conditions and fuel types for more specific fuel.

For running a turbo of course you can't compete with NA MPG numbers as you need to add fueling and timing to compete with higher density of air.
For me and you running e85 as well there's no way we can ever get the same MPG as stock because e85 is 15-27 percent less efficient due to the fuel having less energy.

Its pretty complex but OEM tunes leave a lot on the table as far as power and efficiency is concerned on most vehicles.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote