follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-03-2014, 10:27 AM   #43
21_nola_05

Drives: 2014 scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRiSson View Post
Gasoline is sold by the billions of gallons. Trucks and pipelines can be old, trucks improperly maintained, and storage tanks subject to water infiltration and sediment build up. It is no surprise then when we get the occasional tank of bad gas.

But I think that there is something about the FR-S duel fueling system that makes it extremely sensitive to bad gas. I don't know if it is water or other contaminants, but more than a few of us have experienced poor performance after a fill-up. Nothing radical, but a decrease in power, and sometimes hiccups from the engine as it dials back the timing to compensate.

The question then, is what can we do when we get a tank of bad gas? For me, four fill-ups of Shell 93 seemed to be enough to clear the system. What I am wondering is whether a simple additive, like Methy Alcohol (dri-gas) will clear the system faster?

The other question I have, is whether we will experience problems over the winter? It may be that the FR-S will be unusually susceptible to vapor lock. This bears watching. It may make sense to have a strategy of keeping dri-gas handy, making sure that the tank is refilled when it is only half empty, and avoiding gas stations whose tanks have been recently refilled - a process that stirs up contaminants in the storage tanks.

I use shell v power since it has additives to clean your fuel injecors . i may be wrong.
21_nola_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:28 AM   #44
21_nola_05

Drives: 2014 scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.S-HawK View Post
Funny, sorting through this thread.

I went from filling up with 93 Mobile, then 93 Marathon, then to 93 Citgo and recently to 93 Shell.

Even though Shell is the most expensive in my area, it tends to perform better than the others, even minimizing crickets.

YUP THATS WHY I ONLY USE VPOWER
21_nola_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:13 PM   #45
FRiSson

Drives: FR-S MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21_nola_05 View Post
I use shell v power since it has additives to clean your fuel injecors . i may be wrong.
A lot of manufacturers include additives in their fuels. Check out: toptiergas.com.
FRiSson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:23 PM   #46
dssence

Drives: Toyota FT/MT 86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRiSson View Post
A lot of manufacturers include additives in their fuels. Check out: toptiergas.com.
Hey how much of that is actually true. Like for instance shell in my country does have V-power nitro and normal super , nitro has supposedly 98Octane I think ron/mon ratio. But how do they increase the octane ratio, and what about detergents they add , don't they screw up the inside of the engine I'm talking without any knowledge here. If someone with more in depth knowledge can lend a hand here would be great.
dssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:43 PM   #47
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,876 Times in 16,444 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dssence View Post
Hey how much of that is actually true. Like for instance shell in my country does have V-power nitro and normal super , nitro has supposedly 98Octane I think ron/mon ratio. But how do they increase the octane ratio, and what about detergents they add , don't they screw up the inside of the engine I'm talking without any knowledge here. If someone with more in depth knowledge can lend a hand here would be great.
Well, dssence, most gas additives won't screw up an automobile engine.

Additives, if any, vary from distributor to distributor.

What is relavant in the US may not be true in Argentina.

I suggest you seek local input ....
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:57 AM   #48
hur1ey02

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Garage
These threads are such an uphill battle. I use Valero almost exclusively in both of my vehicles, not because of some top tier rating or anything like that, but because that's where my company's credit card is through. That being said, I've never ran into an instance of bad fuel at any fill up. I will run some additives through every month or so just to offer some additional clean up, but I think most of that is just good marketing.

No crickets, either!

hur1ey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:16 PM   #49
FRiSson

Drives: FR-S MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I think hur1ey02 has a good point. Manufacturers generally maintain good quality gasoline. It is not rocket science, and they have the technical staff to accomplish it. More problematic are problems with aging storage tanks and sediment at your local gas stations. My best guess is that one is safer at high volume dealers with newer equipment. As far as additives go it is not likely they do harm to the engine, though they can as in the case of certain additives, as in the case of tetra-ethyl lead and MTBE, do grievous harm to children, the water supply and the environment.
FRiSson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:54 PM   #50
Rabble

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I like costco gas, it seems to make the butt dyno happy enough.