follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 12-10-2017, 01:00 PM   #29
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaatLuk View Post
The dealer resprayed at least a whole quarter panel (possibly more) without discussing with me first. The sales guy told me they were just going to "color sand" the spot and it would be done in 2 days. Sure enough it took a whole week. On top of that, they did a poor job. I didn't have time to wash my car until this morning. Which part was my fault?
It wasn't cleaned after the repair? Did you inspect the repair before taking it back after the repair? If so, how did you not notice the poor quality then? Did you get an invoice for the repair with description of what they did?
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 05:41 PM   #30
TachyonBomb

Drives: 06 Evo GSR SE, 17 Series Yellow BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It is a bit of paint on a 2 inch scratch for Christ sake. Many new cars get touched up and it is not rare or unusual. The only fucking way you knew about the paint in the first place was by putting a gauge on it. Now all of a sudden there are all these horrible marks? Some paint is not "extensive bodywork". They could have told you to go pound salt in the first place since you signed for the car without inspecting it first. If you are not happy with it then have it done again but don't expect a new car or compensation like some entitled whiner. Have it repaired is reasonable all the other shit you seem to expect is NOT. At this point you are never going to be happy no matter how good a job they do so just trade the car for a nice Prius or something and move on with your life.
And in Tcoats name we pray... Amen!!!
TachyonBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 05:44 PM   #31
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TachyonBomb View Post
And in Tcoats name we pray... Amen!!!
Hmmmm not really sure how to take that.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:42 PM   #32
TheRoops

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.Blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Naive question, but could it be considered a warranty claim that could be handled at an authorized shop?
TheRoops is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheRoops For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (12-10-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 07:29 PM   #33
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoops View Post
Naive question, but could it be considered a warranty claim that could be handled at an authorized shop?
Not really. The warranty doesn't cover scratched paint. Once the papers were signed the car is yours and any non warranty issues it has are also yours even if you haven't even left the lot with it.
The best way to deal with it would have been to inspect the car thoroughly before signing and include any minor repairs there could be in the sales agreement.
In this case the dealer did the work on goodwill and was under zero incentives or requirements to do a thing.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:56 PM   #34
TheRoops

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Not really. The warranty doesn't cover scratched paint. Once the papers were signed the car is yours and any non warranty issues it has are also yours even if you haven't even left the lot with it.
The best way to deal with it would have been to inspect the car thoroughly before signing and include any minor repairs there could be in the sales agreement.
In this case the dealer did the work on goodwill and was under zero incentives or requirements to do a thing.
That's poopy, but I work in legal and it makes perfect sense. I also work in legal and know when there's a will there's a way...

I also believe i might have scraped the invisible bra into the actual paint on a completely not noticeable place on my bumper and am unbothered, if we want to be worried about things that will probably happen anyway.
TheRoops is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheRoops For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (12-11-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 11:17 PM   #35
BaatLuk

Drives: Evo X
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
It wasn't cleaned after the repair? Did you inspect the repair before taking it back after the repair? If so, how did you not notice the poor quality then? Did you get an invoice for the repair with description of what they did?
I had a false sense of confidence because this is one of the largest Subaru dealers in LA and their body shop also repairs Porsches and other high-end cars and it was supposed to be a small repair. I only looked at the spot where the scratch used to be and nearby area because I thought they only worked on that area. I didn't get an invoice or statement of work (my fault, should have asked for one).

My untrained eyes found at least 10 spots of imperfections. Here is just a few examples:

I was simply wondering what you would do if this were your car. Glad to see some of you are so forgiving and considerate of how dealers conduct business.
BaatLuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 06:32 AM   #36
Tcoat

Quote:
I had a false sense of confidence because this is one of the largest Subaru dealers in LA and their body shop also repairs Porsches and other high-end cars and it was supposed to be a small repair. I only looked at the spot where the scratch used to be and nearby area because I thought they only worked on that area. I didn't get an invoice or statement of work (my fault, should have asked for one).

My untrained eyes found at least 10 spots of imperfections. Here is just a few examples:

I was simply wondering what you would do if this were your car. Glad to see some of you are so forgiving and considerate of how dealers conduct business.
What I would do is take it back again and say it is not satisfactory. I would do so in a calm professional manner. Although they did not have to do anything at all they did offer so they should do it right.
That said, you do not need to worry about the thickness of paint or have expectations of anything beyond having it done properly.
Summerwolf (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 08:30 AM   #37
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Personally, I have had stuff like this happen in the past. I inspect everything multiple times at multiple angles and different light sources if possible now. My last vehicle repair (from hitting a deer) I had one bodyshop "repair" it twice before I decided they couldnt do it properly and took it to a real bodyshop out of pocket.

Those look like they could be sanded / buffed out, not sure. It is hard to tell even in that picture and with the tape marks on.

Point is, you signed a contract and have had the vehicle three months now. You have made payments. You are the owner. The dealer doesn't HAVE to do anything. Now that they have made a repair the bodyshop should have some guarantee on their work. Show them the issues and go from there, but don't think you're going to get a different car without trading that one in.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (12-11-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 01:37 AM   #38
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:

Take it back.

Almost all the defect look like they could be we sanded and polish out. The main concern is the overspray on the qtr window mldg. It's easy enough to clean off... BUT! it is an indication that they did not pull the glass before painting. So you have a hard trap line/edge all the way around the glass that will eventually without much care can lead to peeling paint in the future. Be if a few year or 10.

At this point since you kind of fucked yourself by accepting the car and signing before verifying correct repairs you could be SOL as the dealer isn't obligated to fix it.

Personally if you can swing it, I'd have a them or another shop wet-sand out the defects, remove the rear seat bottom and interior plastic, remove the glass, rocker mldg, remove the tail light and bumper. Then have them properly go over the tape/paint edge sanding it out and reclear beyond that. Cut and buff the paint. Make sure they clean the overspray off the parts and then reinstall them. Final detail. Walk around it with the shop/dealership owner together outside point out everything you saw and see.

Best case scenario, if the dealership take pride in themselves they might go the extra mile and throw in a free oil change or BS stuff from the parts department they have on hand. I wouldn't hold my breath if they were an issue the first time.

And on an unrelated note. You have to understand new cars aren't always new. Having worked down from the Ford plant for many years the shop I was at often had to repair new trucks that were damaged out in the lot or down the line. Anytime it was a part they couldn't just bolt on that needed paint, we go it. The cars were then quality control checked and thrown back into the pool to go to dealerships and new customers that never even knew their vehicle had been damaged. I did this until 2010 or so when they increased their in-house paint shop./
The Following User Says Thank You to Kiske For This Useful Post:
NeverInTime (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 04:34 AM   #39
monkeybike

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Just take it to a professional detailer to wet sand and polish.
Will look 1000% better than the dealers body shop.
monkeybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:57 AM   #40
CB750F

Drives: 2015 BRZ WRB
" I picked up my Series.Yellow back in September. On the day I picked it up, I discovered a scratch on the passenger side rear quarter panel near the wheel arch (a couple inches long).
Unfortunately, I already signed my paper work. The dealer eventually repaired it at their own body shop at no charge. However, I came to realization about a couple issues: "

I would like to chime in here as I had a similar experience.
First, I would like to say that you picked up the car knowing the damage, hence, it's your problem now. The dealership will probably get it repainted if you ask.
If you would have walked away from the car when you were taking possession & asked for another car you probably would have been in your rights, but I'm not sure.
It would have been a hard thing to do as we are all so excited with our new purchase.

My experience, I bought a 2014 sport-tech WRB, did a walk around & all was good, signed papers, drove off WOOHOO!!!!
6 months later, after 10,000km, I went for a detailing, wanted Optipro & the guy looks at my car & says " Hey, when did you get it repainted?"

So sure enough, looking at the car we can see overspray. We check the
paint thickness, yup, the drivers door all the way back has twice the amount of paint.

I talk to dealer, they say, yes it was repainted due to a scratch.
I say, but you never told me, he say all is good, 5 yr warranty not to worry.
I say, but I bought a new car, he says to go see sale manager, same story, go see general manager, same story...

So i'm thinking, what can I get? 1 or 2,000$, what is is worth? Can they do this? Is it legal? WTF!!!!!
They also tell me if I don't like the paint job they will redo it, no issues.

So, I call a lawyer, I get 30 mins free with my co.
I tell the story to the lawyer & he says, "WHAT, they told you they repainted the car!!???' I think he was laughing uncontrollably for the next minute....

He told me to go get a new car & proceeded to list at least 10 law which
they violated. Quebec law, so not sure of your laws.

So armed with this info I quietly told them ... new car pls or see you in court.
It took 1 month to get a new 2015 WRB Sport-tech.

So I gave them a 10,000km car & they gave me a 1.8km car.

Now, as mentioned in posts above, does it really make a difference?
My car now has over 50,000 km & I really think that after the abuse it gets on the road, if u want to track it, or whatever, no.

This is an entry sport car, budget sport car, not a 100,000k garage queen.
the paint may fade after 5 yrs but all the chips, dings & scratches, etc, may probably be worst.
(in 2014 I did not think this way, I felt like you).

Go enjoy your car, don't mod it till you push to it's max, then do incremental mods.
CB750F is offline   Reply With Quote