follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-05-2019, 04:55 PM   #141
Atmo

Drives: TBA
Thanked 1,123 Times in 586 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Since my father lived in a golf course community, he had an electric golf cart. So, he figured he would just drive his golf cart into town (about 2 miles away). Well, the car was not licensed to be driven on a public highway, so, the local police stopped him and gave him a ticket.

humfrz
Cool father!

I did the same thing in reverse and got interesting looks from motorists mainly because I was 7 years old.

The folks were out for the day and I couldn't resist so took one of the carts for a spin, the first motorized vehicle I'd ever driven anywhere, much less public roads.

I would've made it home free but after a Sunday afternoon cruising A1A in Ft. Lauderdale, the batteries died a half-mile short. A nice cop stopped to assist and confiscate the cart key. It was my first and only ride since in a police cruiser. He gave me the front seat that was mixed emotions knowing what I was about to face at home.

Luckily the 'rents weren't home yet, it would've been tense if they saw me arrive in a cruiser, so he let me off with a verbal warning and called them later to discuss the "situation".

My punishment was to push the cart home with adult supervision followed by tough love for a while. My brother thought it was hilarious, though.
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Atmo For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (03-06-2019), humfrz (03-05-2019), new2subaru (03-05-2019), trvth (03-14-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 05:14 PM   #142
Atmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
some of it has a lot to do with the state of upcoming vehicle regulations, and less about the specific car.
That's a huge part of their decision process that keeps them up on video conferences halfway through the night.

With the US the biggest market and subject to whimsical governmental edicts that can change depending on who is elected or appointed to rulemaking administrative organizations, most manufacturers have to play it safer than enthusiasts like.
The Following User Says Thank You to Atmo For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (03-05-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 06:07 PM   #143
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmo View Post
Cool father!

I did the same thing in reverse and got interesting looks from motorists mainly because I was 7 years old.....

Good story!

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Atmo (03-05-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 06:16 PM   #144
Atmo

Quote:

Good story!

humfrz
I briefly tried sharing the pain by blaming my older brother for failing his assignment, watching me while the parents were gone, but it didn't fly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atmo For This Useful Post:
humfrz (03-05-2019), Ultramaroon (03-05-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 07:07 PM   #145
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseo View Post
And what change your mind? Got more money?

In 3-4 years, maybe! I'm going back to school to do what interests me.

Turns out I'm not much of a car enthusiast as I thought. I just want something... boring. Though I'd rather ride the bus than drive a Prius!

Quote:
Well, you never know, the sports car bug may come back to bite you again later in life -

humfrz

Oh, I know it will. 911, or possibly a 570s if I forego the house; if the flight nurse thing doesn't work out, I'm going to see if I can join a travel nursing agency and do 6 month contracts in different parts of the country!
The Twins make me smile
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to soulreapersteve For This Useful Post:
humfrz (03-06-2019), Teseo (03-06-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 07:28 PM   #146
g e

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
Celicas were nice cars of the past! I don't know what market research says but corporations are listening. I read someone commenting elsewhere that people begged for the FR-S, then when they made it , it didn't sell. It did, but maybe not the way it could if a model was adjusted for more up-to-date demand.

My feeling regards Celicas:
~ '72 young neighbour across the street had a new Celica (shaped like a white rice grain it was). Cool and very different. A nice small car in '72! Nobody talked about it but at age 8, I noticed it!
I drove my boss's '82 Supra 5 speed in '84. The seat was so low and he had a cushion to prop himself up. It was a 6 cylinder cruiser version of the 4 cylinder Celica.
My Mom drove a brand new red Celica GTS in '90. It was revolutionary in how the curved body panels were stamped for that time and plus it was one of the last cars with pop-up headlights and it had the best sounding OEM CD audio system I had ever heard.
There is no more Solara (had '06 XLE convertible too).
Between Celica and Solara there is a coupe but it's not the twins. I am not offended if they retire the form factor, who knows, substantial gas engines will be a luxury in a decade. Its time for Supra and twins maybe, I wouln't bet on it. Like Scion, it might have been a phase in Toyota's life that isn't necessarily the next vision.
Electrification is upon us, people.

A girlfriend from 1980-ish had a crappy mustang II and got a hot blue Celica coupe with a stick. Nice car ! Cost $5,000 new. She would have been a long term keeper but she wanted a “serious relationship”.

What’s wrong with a few laffs and letting the good times roll?
g e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:29 PM   #147
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
This is the car I almost bought (1 year old private sale in '85), it would have been my first new or in this case almost new car. I drove it and wanted it but I think I never considered that he might accept a bit less since it might have been slightly expensive for me and ended up almost immediately buying a new '85 GTI for ~$13K on the road.

I liked the MK2 Supra, which this essentially was, except with a 4 cyl. engine. Should have tried harder to get the Celica. The next generations were FWD and the public was sold on the change without objection. Imagine if they switched the 86 from RWD to FWD and called it the 92! They did that to the AE86/Corolla GTS in '87 to the AE92.

Now, tell me that '70 Celica GT wasn't a sweet looking small car. Dat azz!
Attached Images

5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.

Last edited by wbradley; 03-06-2019 at 09:03 PM.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:49 PM   #148
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulreapersteve View Post
In 3-4 years, maybe! I'm going back to school to do what interests me.

Turns out I'm not much of a car enthusiast as I thought. I just want something... boring. Though I'd rather ride the bus than drive a Prius!

Oh, I know it will. 911, or possibly a 570s if I forego the house; if the flight nurse thing doesn't work out, I'm going to see if I can join a travel nursing agency and do 6 month contracts in different parts of the country!
Good on you. Going to school to qualify you to do a job you like is good move.

As far as being a "car enthusiast", that can change depending upon your other interests and obligations. I suggest you just go with your gut and let it vary.

That possibility of contract work sounds interesting, especially while you are single.

Most important of all - is to have fun! -

humfrz
Old 03-06-2019, 10:53 PM   #149
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Gotta say, Miatas are starting to look very tempting after this recall mess. Searched cars.com using rwd, manual, used ... about a bazillion Mustangs and Camaros in which I have no interest, but a few really nice Miata MX5, BMW Z3/Z4, 3series, Porsche boxster, even an affordable 911, ... unless the dealership really comes through and I get back the car I had up until a month ago, this'll be my last twin.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:50 PM   #150
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
Gotta say, Miatas are starting to look very tempting after this recall mess. Searched cars.com using rwd, manual, used ... about a bazillion Mustangs and Camaros in which I have no interest, but a few really nice Miata MX5, BMW Z3/Z4, 3series, Porsche boxster, even an affordable 911, ... unless the dealership really comes through and I get back the car I had up until a month ago, this'll be my last twin.
Yep, if you're not too big and you are willing to pack lite, a Miata can be a fun car.

I drove my 2006 NC Miata over 80,000 miles and never had to go back to the dealer or to a shop for anything (except to change the oil and mount a second set of tires).

humfrz
Old 03-07-2019, 12:16 AM   #151
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
+1 for the MX5, I sold a NBA MX5 and got a 15 STI, biggest mistake ever, only had the STI for 2 years, even with the stage 2+ mods on it I felt it was boring and only fun at 10/10ths, which isn't achievable on the street.

The MX5, like my 2017 86 with fruit, is fun to drive everywhere.

Parts and maintenance is super cheap for the MX5 as well.

Only other suggestion would be to get a removable hard top, it gives some security and is much better during bad weather.

The "other" only other thing would be which model, I personally dislike the NC.

Opinions may vary
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:20 AM   #152
CY86

Drives: they all have 4 wheels
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToySub1946 View Post
I'm all in for a second generation.

Just hope they don't put the steering wheel on the wrong side of the car...I hear they've done that for some islands, both big and small.
you mean the RIGHT side of the car!
CY86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CY86 For This Useful Post:
ToySub1946 (03-14-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 05:22 AM   #153
CY86

Drives: they all have 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
Honda DAX 70cc.they've been going up in value a lot these last few years
CY86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:05 PM   #154
Docdoc

Drives: Scion FR-S 2014
I like the FR-S/GT86 platform, however I think at some point I may grow out of it and want a faster or more exotic car. Not that I have the money to do it yet, but If I have a choice of a new car in a few years I may keep the FR-S as a track car and buy a faster DD. Maybe a used BMW M series or a Porsche 911.

Now if they come out with that rumored 2nd gen GT86 platform that has a 2.4 FA24 or something turbocharged that I may be into. I would really like to see them start making a rear engine/mid engine sports car. I.e a updated Fiat 850 Spider/Coupé

Docdoc
Docdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Docdoc For This Useful Post:
why? (03-12-2019)