follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-24-2017, 12:57 AM   #99
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionsk88 View Post
I feel that this exhaust is a bit underrated in regards to its popularity with the twins. Its a great looking exhaust, great quality product and in my opinion a good balance of exhaust noice, no drone and looking good, amongst other things. Ive been running this catback for roughly 8k miles and love it. Now I'm just on the hunt for a good header with this exhaust
i havent heard a better exhaust tbh. a lot of them have that buzzy/farty noise thats so common on 4 bangers. fa20 with this exhaust sounds so smooth. somewhat like a nissan z at part throttle.

may be a bit too quiet for some folk.
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:31 PM   #100
brazy

Drives: '14 LR BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decep View Post
i havent heard a better exhaust tbh. a lot of them have that buzzy/farty noise thats so common on 4 bangers. fa20 with this exhaust sounds so smooth. somewhat like a nissan z at part throttle.

may be a bit too quiet for some folk.
yeah I'm trying to get that VQ35 exhaust note in my BRZ. Not an easy task when you're short 1500cc and 2 cylinders. I personally went with the Milltek resonated CBE with that in mind... not sure what to do about headers. There's something about that Z exhaust.. A very distinct, exotic-sounding overtone. The Milltek is the only catback I could find for this platform that has that particular exotic throatiness note to it.

With that being said, a guy from my area that I've talked to quite a few times has the Corsa CBE with Borla UEL and it sounds outstanding. The Corsa is a great choice, both as an independent mod and as a basis for adding more exhaust components down the line. Nice refined sound but with enough bite to it that you'll get your money's worth out of it at WOT.

Agreed that too many systems for the 86 are way too loud/buzzy for the power that the car offers..
brazy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brazy For This Useful Post:
TofuJoe (01-13-2018)
Old 11-03-2017, 03:43 AM   #101
Jo0

Drives: '17 CWP Limited w/ PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazy View Post
yeah I'm trying to get that VQ35 exhaust note in my BRZ. Not an easy task when you're short 1500cc and 2 cylinders. I personally went with the Milltek resonated CBE with that in mind... not sure what to do about headers. There's something about that Z exhaust.. A very distinct, exotic-sounding overtone. The Milltek is the only catback I could find for this platform that has that particular exotic throatiness note to it.

With that being said, a guy from my area that I've talked to quite a few times has the Corsa CBE with Borla UEL and it sounds outstanding. The Corsa is a great choice, both as an independent mod and as a basis for adding more exhaust components down the line. Nice refined sound but with enough bite to it that you'll get your money's worth out of it at WOT.

Agreed that too many systems for the 86 are way too loud/buzzy for the power that the car offers..
I decided to go for my ace header first. Now I'm trying to decide what cat back to add. The current watch list is the upcoming ACE Laguna 90 dual exit, csgxmxp gt86 touring, miltek resonated, and hks leggamax.

I don't want it to be super loud, inside and out, and I want deep and/or exotic. Supposedly the ACE Laguna 90 fits the bill, but I haven't heard it in person.

Luckily the JS dual oil cooler is next on my list and a cat back can wait.
Jo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:10 AM   #102
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Jo0: laguna is purpose made. Might be TOO quiet .
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:44 AM   #103
brazy

Drives: '14 LR BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo0 View Post
I decided to go for my ace header first. Now I'm trying to decide what cat back to add. The current watch list is the upcoming ACE Laguna 90 dual exit, csgxmxp gt86 touring, miltek resonated, and hks leggamax.

I don't want it to be super loud, inside and out, and I want deep and/or exotic. Supposedly the ACE Laguna 90 fits the bill, but I haven't heard it in person.

Luckily the JS dual oil cooler is next on my list and a cat back can wait.
Didn't realize the ACE catback was going to be released in a dual exit. The central exit through the bumper light hole is a sick idea but doesn't work out practically for everyone. I've heard good things about it.. apparently is quieter than stock but a much improved note.

For what its worth I highly recommend the milltek - The sound is exactly what I was looking for.

Good luck to you- keep up the tasteful mods
brazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:20 AM   #104
Jo0

Drives: '17 CWP Limited w/ PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Jo0: laguna is purpose made. Might be TOO quiet .
I'm down for that honestly. Silent killer...eventually...with boost. lol
Jo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 11:45 PM   #105
Bugguy73

Drives: 2016 wr blue brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I just installed the ft86sf catted header with a corsa cat back... imo this combo is great! Still doesn't drone and definitely got louder. It's louder in the sense of "I just installed a corsa and could stand it to be louder." Its great! Oft stage 1, corsa catback and the ft86 catted header.
Bugguy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bugguy73 For This Useful Post:
StraightOuttaCanadaEh (11-05-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 09:11 AM   #106
served

Drives: 2017 BRZ pp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugguy73 View Post
I just installed the ft86sf catted header with a corsa cat back... imo this combo is great! Still doesn't drone and definitely got louder. It's louder in the sense of "I just installed a corsa and could stand it to be louder." Its great! Oft stage 1, corsa catback and the ft86 catted header.
Any chance of a video?
served is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:49 AM   #107
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Anyone else's corsa gets burblier in the winter? I didn't have it last winter so this is new to me. Usually it sounds smooth on idle but now it's a very obvious bur-bur-bur. Even on acceleration. Usually it's like a howl like whaaaaaaahh, but now it's more of a brrraaaaahh. Lol
StraightOuttaCanadaEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:35 PM   #108
Bugguy73

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
Anyone else's corsa gets burblier in the winter? I didn't have it last winter so this is new to me. Usually it sounds smooth on idle but now it's a very obvious bur-bur-bur. Even on acceleration. Usually it's like a howl like whaaaaaaahh, but now it's more of a brrraaaaahh. Lol
The exhaust certainly gets louder in the colder weather.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:41 PM   #109
Bugguy73

Quote:
Originally Posted by served View Post
Any chance of a video?
I want to, but super slow internet speed kills my motivation for trying. The more I drive with this setup, the more I love it. With uel, it sounds much more like an exotic v8. With the catback alone, all the sound was just coming out the back... with ft86catted uel, the sound seem to come from front to back and from a sportier engine.

Old 11-22-2017, 04:04 PM   #110
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugguy73 View Post
The exhaust certainly gets louder in the colder weather.
well it's not even the volume. That's the same, or even less. It's the tone
StraightOuttaCanadaEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 05:31 PM   #111
Bugguy73

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
well it's not even the volume. That's the same, or even less. It's the tone
Mine does that too
The Following User Says Thank You to Bugguy73 For This Useful Post:
StraightOuttaCanadaEh (11-22-2017)
Old 01-09-2018, 10:29 AM   #112
ssidd

Drives: 2015 Scion FRS - Asphalt
Curious if anyone is running this with a Turbo kit? Specifically, the JDL V2.... Thanks
ssidd is offline   Reply With Quote