follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 01-06-2014, 03:00 PM   #29
himbo

Drives: Lightening Red BRZ Ltd.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
^^ Wrong, wrong, wrong. The ONLY thing that the pedal dance disables that turning the TC/VSC off doesn't do is the EBFD.

If you properly disabled TC/VSC and you're still getting brakes applied it's because you have zero traction on one wheel and the EBFD is applying a touch of brake stop the diff from unloading power to the wheel with zero traction.
Hmmmmmm guess that would explain it. But, TC/VSC re-engages above 31mph -even if you push the TC button for 3 seconds.. right?
himbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:21 PM   #30
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by himbo View Post
Hmmmmmm guess that would explain it. But, TC/VSC re-engages above 31mph -even if you push the TC button for 3 seconds.. right?
Nope. If the TC turns back on at ~30mph then it wasn't fully disabled.

I've hit over 140km/h (smaller track) with it properly disabled by the button (no pedal dance) and slid around without it coming back on.

The only difference between fully disabling it (~5 seconds of holding the button) and the pedal dance is that EBFD is still on if you use the button. ABS is on in both cases, normal TC and VSC are off.
The Following User Says Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
himbo (01-09-2014)
Old 01-06-2014, 05:44 PM   #31
Turdinator
Seņor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
The pedal dance also turns off the virtual lsd (where a spinning wheel is braked to keep traction) whereas the 3 sec hold doesn't disable that. Not sure if that's good or bad in the snow.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:31 PM   #32
Boofneenee
Go-Kart Enthusiast

Drives: Toyota Scion FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan86 View Post
Really really

We do this while on the dyno. Take note when you activate again the TC light may stay on for a few 100 meters and then go off.
just tried it out today and it works!! woohooo.. now all i need are my summer tires back on my car so I can slide this mo fo around in circles
Old 01-07-2014, 12:23 AM   #33
Seattle944t

Drives: Sc10n
Quote:
No, that's exactly what happens when you hold the button for a short time, less than three seconds. This clearly stated in the manual that less than three seconds only turns off trac below 30MPH and will reengage @ 31 MPH (pg 203 of the Scion Manual).

So, as has been mentioned before you are holding it wrong. Hold it down longer. You should see both lights go active when you have completely turned it off - the TRAC off light, and the Car slip light below it will both be active. If you only briefly press the Trac off button only the TRAC off light will be on and the system will start up again @31 MPH.
Seattle944t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Seattle944t For This Useful Post:
himbo (01-09-2014)
Old 01-07-2014, 06:14 AM   #34
himbo

That's what I have been doing but I guess it was the EBFD that was kicking in. Strange, there were time line it seemed like it was still on...
Old 01-07-2014, 07:34 AM   #35
wparsons

Garage
If you hold the button long enough, the lights come on while the button is still pressed. If you have to let go of the button for the light to come on you didn't hold long enough.

Not sure if it varies from car to car, but mine is definitely longer than 3 seconds.
The Following User Says Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
himbo (01-09-2014)
Old 01-08-2014, 07:37 PM   #36
SkullWorks
Banned

Drives: SSM LT MT BRZ
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
*sigh*... link to said threads? How are most posts contradictory?

Are you talking about it going into "ice mode" and locking up the rear brakes? That's the EBFD at work.

EBFD is Electronic Brake Force Distribution. If your foot isn't on the brake, it isn't coming into play at all. If you're coasting or on the gas it has no effect. Now if you're trying to trail brake too much or are running staggered pad compounds you might have issues, but ONLY under braking.

Sounds like you're the one that isn't well informed.

You are stating that all Nannies are disabled, yet explaining that they in-fact aren't all disengaged, there is alot going on behind the scenes with a traction control as advanced as this. so based on steering angle and throttle position different amounts of the system will step in to save your ass.

I have been tracking the car for over a year and have ample time driving it in all of it's various modes as do many members on this forum, if you ask @csg_mike I'm sure he can enlighten you even further
SkullWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:38 PM   #37
turbos86

Drives: 2014 Zenki 37J
Quote:
if it was possible to "tune" the pedal dance at the press of a button.
Ask and you shall receive.
http://www.autofactory.jp/product/to...&cate=4&seq=11
turbos86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to turbos86 For This Useful Post:
himbo (01-09-2014)
Old 01-09-2014, 06:56 AM   #38
himbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbos86 View Post
Holy crap! How did you find this thing!?!? I'll have to see how we can get this stateside.

I still believe there's something lurking when the system is"off". A lot of track guys have talked about this. I will find the links
Old 01-09-2014, 10:58 AM   #39
wparsons

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullWorks View Post
You are stating that all Nannies are disabled, yet explaining that they in-fact aren't all disengaged, there is alot going on behind the scenes with a traction control as advanced as this. so based on steering angle and throttle position different amounts of the system will step in to save your ass.

I have been tracking the car for over a year and have ample time driving it in all of it's various modes as do many members on this forum, if you ask @csg_mike I'm sure he can enlighten you even further
You should go re-read the thread... every post of mine has stated the same thing about the TC/VSC/EBFD.

Holding the TC button turns off everything except EBFD and ABS, doing the pedal dance turns off everything except ABS.

As for what you've said, how does EBFD stop you from spinning???
Old 01-09-2014, 11:06 AM   #40
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
As for what you've said, how does EBFD stop you from spinning???
If you do not have EBFD enabled, then you are depending on the mechanical brake bias distribution.
Did the engineer design the car to have less rear braking than the front in this situation (as they should have)? I dont know.

Older cars have a proportioning valve that cuts off the rear brakes at a certain pressure and allows the front pressure to continue to climb.
This reduces the chance of the rears locking before the fronts (which causes a spin)

Without EBFD enabled, who knows wht the rear brake bias is.
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:48 AM   #41
wparsons

Garage
You're kidding right? I already said that EBFD doesn't come into play except under braking and you still said that it would prevent a spin.

Unless you're messing with pad compounds or trail braking hard you have no worries about EBFD doing anything while on a track.

In addition, if you're driving like that with EBFD on then it's very likely it'll fall into ice mode and fully lock up the rear brakes.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:50 PM   #42
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
"and you still said that it would prevent a spin"

"I" didnt say anything of the sort.
I was merely commenting on the statement "how does EBFD stop you from spinning???".

My answer was that EBFD is now the replacement for a rear brake proportioning valve.
The car does not have a proportioning valve, so with EBFD disabled, the rear brake bias is unknown.
If it is wrong (more bias to the rear than the front), then you could spin under braking conditions.

Sorry if I was commenting on a statement without considering the context of the discussion with SkullWorks.
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote