follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 01-05-2014, 11:37 PM   #15
Walla Walla
Hicas Thread Basher

Drives: Subaru BRZ 13, Hyundai Genesis 15
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoyminutemaid View Post
Do you have snow tires? I have General Altimax Arctics in 205/55-16s and I threw 120lbs of cat litter in the back (3x 40lbs unopened bags) and my BRZ rocks in the snow. I never turn off TC or VDC.
seriously... this is really not a good idea... this car snaps so quickly, and also recover soquickly, that... with the extra weight, you just risk to loose control....

if you want to do such a thing, do it... but don't spread it out like it's a good advice.... this car is easy to handle, and putting more weight at the rear will only let you believe that you control it more...
Walla Walla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:21 AM   #16
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walla Walla View Post
seriously... this is really not a good idea... this car snaps so quickly, and also recover soquickly, that... with the extra weight, you just risk to loose control.....
Your are referring to "Polar Inertia". In a racecar you want to not place any weight forward or rearward unless you have to. It increases the inertia of the car when it "spins"

If you want to help the car in the snow by adding weight,put it in the back seat.
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:04 AM   #17
Turdinator
Señor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
seriously... this is really not a good idea... this car snaps so quickly, and also recover soquickly, that... with the extra weight, you just risk to loose control....

if you want to do such a thing, do it... but don't spread it out like it's a good advice.... this car is easy to handle, and putting more weight at the rear will only let you believe that you control it more...
Snaps quickly compared to what?
Old 01-06-2014, 06:30 AM   #18
himbo

Drives: Lightening Red BRZ Ltd.
Quote:

I use kitty litter in the rear and it helps make a big difference. I'm sure if one is moving near the handling limits of the car it would have adverse effects. But during the winter months, we're not driving that fast.

Even with pressing the TC button down for 3+ seconds, the electronic nannies are still there. I've held the TC button down for 3 second and I still electronic intervention once the revs jumped over 1500rpm and you felt the rear brakes clamp down- causing me to nearly shall and cease momentum. I just hate the fact that I have to fight with this system when I am trying to do other things.
himbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to himbo For This Useful Post:
enjoyminutemaid (01-06-2014)
Old 01-06-2014, 06:39 AM   #19
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Then you did it wrong. Start with everything on the way it is when you turn on the car then hold the TC button down until two lights light up on the cluster. If you do it right you can slide and spin as much as you want and it won't turn off until you either push the TC button again or turn off the car.

With the TC/VSC disabled properly (no pedal dance) the only electronic nannies left on are EBFD and ABS
Old 01-06-2014, 07:02 AM   #20
Walla Walla
Hicas Thread Basher

Drives: Subaru BRZ 13, Hyundai Genesis 15
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdinator View Post
Snaps quickly compared to what?
snap faster than let's say, a S14 or any rwd with 3000lbs or more!
the more weight you put at the rear the harder it will be to recover. each time you tink (and you have) more traction at the rear because of the extra weight, you will have more difficulty to bring it back once you lose it (just as stugray said, polar inertia)

it is a car easy to correct, and to handle in the snow... i just personally think that it's better to gain experience with the way it handle, than adding weight at the back... (and i'm from Quebec... if anyone was wondering... but i assume my english already told ya all!)
Walla Walla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Walla Walla For This Useful Post:
Turdinator (01-06-2014)
Old 01-06-2014, 07:52 AM   #21
StormTrooper

Drives: Pavement MT GR86
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
The car is 55 front 45 rear split ...adding 120 lbs to the rear won't even make it neutral much less 70's porche style.

Yes putting weight in the back seat would keep the balance but you're not affecting it that much.

Last edited by StormTrooper; 01-06-2014 at 07:53 AM. Reason: grammar
StormTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:57 AM   #22
StormTrooper

Drives: Pavement MT GR86
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Also unless you have no throttle control or your car is broken you should use "sport mode" on the TC not full off. Don't know anything about the autos and the extra crap they have.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:24 AM   #23
Sarlacc
/dev/null

Drives: Uphill
Thanked 2,926 Times in 1,420 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Garage
I drive on snow and ice on a regular basis, and I have the following comments:

1. Sandbags in the back only helps if you have problems getting up a steep hill (and only on RWD cars, of course). I avoid messing with the weight distribution if I can, especially on such a beautifully balanced car as this.

2. I only turn off TC/VDC when having fun in safe places, never on public roads. It may help if you're stuck in a ditch or something. I haven't been in a pickle like that with my GT86 yet so I don't know if turning off the TC will make much difference. Hopefully, I'll never find out, because if I'm that stuck I will most likely have damaged my car severely.

3. WINTER TIRES. Get good ones. The difference in grip is HUGE.
If you expect to drive on ice a lot, get studded winter tires. Otherwise, studless are better. I got Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 215/55R16 studless and they are serving me well.
I have no sympathy and no respect for anyone driving on winter roads with inferior tires.

Sarlacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:32 AM   #24
himbo

Drives: Lightening Red BRZ Ltd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Then you did it wrong. Start with everything on the way it is when you turn on the car then hold the TC button down until two lights light up on the cluster. If you do it right you can slide and spin as much as you want and it won't turn off until you either push the TC button again or turn off the car.

With the TC/VSC disabled properly (no pedal dance) the only electronic nannies left on are EBFD and ABS
That's exactly what I get- the two yellow lights. One stating that the TC is off and the other is a symbol of a car with squiggly lines underneath. I found that the brakes in the rear being activated...

It's well documented that the the electronic nannies DO NOT shut off after hitting the TC button for 3 seconds. Seem like the pedal dance is the only way to remedy this. I was wondering if any tuners can "program" this pedal dance sequence when you hit the TC button to truly turn off the nannies.

So once again - you CAN NOT deactivate the nannies unless you do the pedal dance. Which again goes back to my first question - if it was possible to "tune" the pedal dance at the press of a button.

Last edited by himbo; 01-06-2014 at 11:06 AM.
himbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:05 PM   #25
wparsons

Garage
^^ Wrong, wrong, wrong. The ONLY thing that the pedal dance disables that turning the TC/VSC off doesn't do is the EBFD.

If you properly disabled TC/VSC and you're still getting brakes applied it's because you have zero traction on one wheel and the EBFD is applying a touch of brake stop the diff from unloading power to the wheel with zero traction.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:48 PM   #26
SkullWorks
Banned

Drives: SSM LT MT BRZ
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
@wparsons please shut up you are not well informed on this your posts even self contradict

Ebfd is a Nannie, it is used to prevent spins, and yes you can do donuts with the 3. Second hold but there is a level at which it still steps in and shuts down the fun check the track experiences all over this forum
SkullWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:18 PM   #27
wparsons

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullWorks View Post
@wparsons please shut up you are not well informed on this your posts even self contradict

Ebfd is a Nannie, it is used to prevent spins, and yes you can do donuts with the 3. Second hold but there is a level at which it still steps in and shuts down the fun check the track experiences all over this forum
*sigh*... link to said threads? How are most posts contradictory?

Are you talking about it going into "ice mode" and locking up the rear brakes? That's the EBFD at work.

EBFD is Electronic Brake Force Distribution. If your foot isn't on the brake, it isn't coming into play at all. If you're coasting or on the gas it has no effect. Now if you're trying to trail brake too much or are running staggered pad compounds you might have issues, but ONLY under braking.

Sounds like you're the one that isn't well informed.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:42 PM   #28
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Sounds like you're the one that isn't well informed.
oooooohhhhhhhhhhhh

OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OrbitalEllipses For This Useful Post:
ShoShin (01-09-2014), wparsons (01-06-2014)