follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 10:46 AM   #15
travace

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
yea i missed that thread. Maybe because i was taught to drive in a RWD manual but even when i turn off all TCS(hold for 5 seconds) i have to really try to get the back wheels to break loose. I dont get how people are so out of control with this car stock... its not THAT powerful to the wheels.... ive drove little toyota trucks that got loose way easier.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:49 AM   #16
Gixxersixxerman

Drives: Toyota GT86, 66 beetle, 11 GSXR 750
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
He posted another thread about his accident. He claims a 25mph turn, hit the brakes, no ABS activation, spins, crash.

Sounds like someone driving outside of their skill level, but... :shrug:

Doesn't sound like non functional rear brakes would cause that type of accident, and 25mph around a 90 degree turn with no brakes is easily handled... so his accident story didn't add up either.

He's young and, IMO, trying to blame someone else for his mistake, but you never know...
I have to agree... If I'm wrong I apologize, but this car in a 25 mph corner easily makes it.. If the rear locked up and not the front I can see it spinning out.. Like pulling the ebrake to slide the rear around.. But op just said the rear was leaking and failed so I don't see how that happened.. It sounds like op was getting to hot into said corner and lost it.. Personally, if I felt the brakes were not working properly then I find out what's wrong.. Unforutunatly it sounds like you have to bite the bullet and call the insurance and make your claim... A Toyota rep can tear this story apart just on the fact you claim brakes were not right yet continue to drive.. I don't see Toyota paying for this in any way
The Following User Says Thank You to Gixxersixxerman For This Useful Post:
zohare (11-22-2012)
Old 11-14-2012, 10:49 AM   #17
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by travace View Post
yea i missed that thread. Maybe because i was taught to drive in a RWD manual but even when i turn off all TCS(hold for 5 seconds) i have to really try to get the back wheels to break loose. I dont get how people are so out of control with this car stock... its not THAT powerful to the wheels.... ive drove little toyota trucks that got loose way easier.
I agree. Same with the S2K, people were always crashing them and I never figured out how. I literally had to TRY to get them to come around. Maybe crap tires, I don't use those...
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Old 11-14-2012, 10:56 AM   #18
Gixxersixxerman

Drives: Toyota GT86, 66 beetle, 11 GSXR 750
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by travace View Post
I wonder about what you said.. I can bearly ever get the TC light to even blink when trying.. Yet see a lot of people on here talk about the extreme lack of traction.. 1/4 throttle in 2nd gear and drifting all over the place.. I've spun it out in the wet.. Was just a little sideways and let off the gas and it spun.. But it was wet outside and a really crappy slick lot.. I've had a lot of vehicles that are rwd, but mainly trucks SUVs family cars.. This is my first sports car that's rear wheel drive except a old ass 944 that had way over sizes wheels and couldn't spin the tires ever lol

Just saying some, like me, can't get the tires to spin... Others say its the worst tires they ever had and spin, get sideways all the time
Old 11-14-2012, 11:07 AM   #19
mhigham

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
So the rears "locked" up on their own? This caused the accident? Or you had an accident? Did you have ESP on/off?

Leaking brakes will not cause you to spin if that was the question.

Leaking brakes would be even less effective than non-leaking ones, which to say, isn't very much at all. On a previous car, I had a frozen caliper on the rear and I couldn't even tell except for the pads on that side didn't wear the same as the other side.

Black box data will tell all..I am going to bet "25MPH" looks more like 70MPH.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:11 AM   #20
travace

Drives: Scion FR-S
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxersixxerman View Post
I wonder about what you said.. I can bearly ever get the TC light to even blink when trying.. Yet see a lot of people on here talk about the extreme lack of traction.. 1/4 throttle in 2nd gear and drifting all over the place.. I've spun it out in the wet.. Was just a little sideways and let off the gas and it spun.. But it was wet outside and a really crappy slick lot.. I've had a lot of vehicles that are rwd, but mainly trucks SUVs family cars.. This is my first sports car that's rear wheel drive except a old ass 944 that had way over sizes wheels and couldn't spin the tires ever lol

Just saying some, like me, can't get the tires to spin... Others say its the worst tires they ever had and spin, get sideways all the time
i can definitely get the tires to spin but i have to try its never unexpected.... minus one time like you it was wet and i was taking a left from a stop sign and driving very spirited and half way in the turn it broke loose but nothing i couldn't correct. im on the crappy stock tires and have been doing donuts and wannabe drifts trying to burn these fuckers down so i can tell the wife look we need tires :P
Old 11-14-2012, 01:24 PM   #21
ric342
FR-S driver

Drives: ULTRAMARINE Scion FR-S
Garage
back story

let me reiterate my story, 9:00 pm going back home chilling on snake way. decide to go home after hanging out for 2 hours, started the car an went on my way back to caynen. the first turn i was doing 27-29 mph. iv been down this road many times, the first turn was an easy turn the turn after that is really crazy and you have to hit the brakes if you go faster than 30. okay so i took the first turn and stared to put pressure on the brakes, it did not seem to slow down . so when i got to the second turn i hit them again and there was no response. This is all going down in seconds. so i hit the brakes one more time and they make the car veer sideways. at that point im facing a wall i turn the steering wheel all the way to the left and the tires shreek like a bat out of hell. the rear of the car hits the rock wall and continues down hill. i pull the E-brake and the car stops. I came out okay and the car was not so lucky, i bought this car on my own and i am proud to own it the issue now is if i can trust it, so to all the haters that think i was driving crazy or doing something i was not able to do, then the damage the car sustained should prove that i was not driving like a maniac, add that in fact that the car would be salvage title if i was doing anything wrong.im gong to stay optimistic and hope for the best,thank you to all who read this.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:34 PM   #22
Rayme
The Answer

Drives: Mazda 2
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
If you claim the brake failed there's nothing to really argue. Or it's driver error where the VSC couldn't do it's job. A sharp turn can send the rear sliding brakes on or off.

Good luck finding what failed. A slow leak means nothing as long as the system is pressurized.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:58 PM   #23
mhigham

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric342 View Post
let me reiterate my story, 9:00 pm going back home chilling on snake way. decide to go home after hanging out for 2 hours, started the car an went on my way back to caynen. the first turn i was doing 27-29 mph. iv been down this road many times, the first turn was an easy turn the turn after that is really crazy and you have to hit the brakes if you go faster than 30. okay so i took the first turn and stared to put pressure on the brakes, it did not seem to slow down . so when i got to the second turn i hit them again and there was no response. This is all going down in seconds. so i hit the brakes one more time and they make the car veer sideways. at that point im facing a wall i turn the steering wheel all the way to the left and the tires shreek like a bat out of hell. the rear of the car hits the rock wall and continues down hill. i pull the E-brake and the car stops. I came out okay and the car was not so lucky, i bought this car on my own and i am proud to own it the issue now is if i can trust it, so to all the haters that think i was driving crazy or doing something i was not able to do, then the damage the car sustained should prove that i was not driving like a maniac, add that in fact that the car would be salvage title if i was doing anything wrong.im gong to stay optimistic and hope for the best,thank you to all who read this.
I guess everyone point is 27-29MPH is not enough to spin a car even with no brakes, bald tires, no VSC, on wet pavement pulling the ebrake. No type of braking action can make the car "veer sideways", only steering - except for some yaw induced but this comes with speed/steering and braking.

How does "the damage the car sustained should prove that i was not driving like a maniac"? Are you saying it was light damage? Guess I haven't seen the pics, better yet with pictures of the crash site.

"add that in fact that the car would be salvage title if i was doing anything wrong" Salvage titles have nothing to do with right/wrong - only how much damage was sustained. You could have done nothing wrong but with great damage comes a salvage title.

How far have you driven the car since the accident? Have Toyota pull the black box data. That will tell exactly how fast you were going, steering angle, brake pressure, yaw rate, etc.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #24
JesseE

Drives: LS Swapped BRZ
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
if your rear caliper was leaking brake fluid, it would explain not having any brakes... air gets sucked back into the system and causes the pedal to feel extremely mushy and won't stop you when your expecting the pedal to be stiff from a couple inches from the top of the pedal.

Common problem in all cars when there is a issue with the caliper leaking fluid...

Now if the conditions of the road were "dry" and your tires are "good" (at least 4/32) left) there is no 25-30 mph turn your car can't handle at 25-30 mph, if it was bad conditions and your rear tires hit a slick patch then it makes perfect sense what you described.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JesseE For This Useful Post:
Bristecom (11-14-2012), SpeedR (11-20-2012), wu_dot_com (11-15-2012)
Old 11-14-2012, 04:37 PM   #25
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseE View Post
if your rear caliper was leaking brake fluid, it would explain not having any brakes... air gets sucked back into the system and causes the pedal to feel extremely mushy and won't stop you when your expecting the pedal to be stiff from a couple inches from the top of the pedal.

Common problem in all cars when there is a issue with the caliper leaking fluid...
Yeah but that's an obvious feeling that, assuming the failure wasn't instantaneous, is obvious before it's a complete failure -- by design.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Old 11-14-2012, 04:58 PM   #26
JesseE

Drives: LS Swapped BRZ
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
You would be surprised what I see come through my shop... People just don't know whats "normal" and whats not
Old 11-15-2012, 02:15 PM   #27
mhigham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
Yeah but that's an obvious feeling that, assuming the failure wasn't instantaneous, is obvious before it's a complete failure -- by design.
Even if the caliper fell off and all the fluid leaked out, you would only lose HALF the fluid and half braking. The hydraulic system is a split system, so a leak in one part will never totally lose braking. Even half brakes on this car at 30MPH is enough to come to a brisk stop in a controlled manner.

I will bet the repair costs to that car that, given the black box data, speed was more than double the stated 30MPH. You cant argue with physics.

Pics?
Old 11-15-2012, 02:27 PM   #28
chulooz
Registered you sir

Drives: 99 impreza coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric342 View Post
The car was leaking mad brake fluid and i belive that it caused the Accident.it damaged the rear quarter panel which needed to be replaced, the entire right rear wheel suspension needed to be replaced. Im thinking about contacting a lawyer what do you guys think
Are you certain that you were leaking "mad brake fluid" before the accident... which btw sounds like typical noob lack of control?

What previous cars have out owned? I take it you have never had any track time or HPDE?

Closed Thread