follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 07-26-2013, 06:21 PM   #15
Mr. Sparkle

Drives: Mr. Sparkle Detailing Wagon
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRB-DZA-BRZ View Post
I've got mild water spots all over my Opticoated WRB BRZ. These spots are not really bad, and are not white-ish in color, but they are noticeable up close and in certain angles. I've been using Meguiars D110 Hyperwash soap for my washes. I'm not sure how long these water spots have been there. I have tried a 50/50 mix of distilled water/distilled white vinegar from a hand sprayer, wiped with a MF towel, with no luck. I'd like to get rid of these water spots without damaging the Opticoat.

Also, I had some Meguiars D103 All Purpose Cleaner Plus (about 5:1 ratio mix) dry on the outside glass surfaces of the car. Regular washing, as well as glass cleaner with MF glass towel does not remove the weird looking film/residue that it left on the windshield.

It's hard to take pictures of these defects, but I'll try to get some on here showing what I'm talking about.

Any ideas folks? Thanks.

Just this afternoon I took care of some water spots on a brz that I had applied Opti-Guard 5 months earlier this year (perhaps that member will chime in here)

The goal was to preserve the opti coat while removing some of the water spots which had turned a brown color at the edge. Vehicle in question was white so although this was pretty mild it was noticeable.

75% or better of the mess cleaned up with a light polishing pad and Optimum Poli-Seal on my Griots DA. Poli-Seal is Optimum's 'all in one' product which they recommend for a variety of things including cleaning the coating.

The deeper etching would require something more aggressive which may or may not remove the coating. Maybe down the road but for now the car saw a big improvement using Poli-Seal and I'm comfortable saying it did not compromise the Opti-Coat at all being that the product is non abrasive, was used with a light pad, and is the thing to use per the manufacturer of the coating.

Worth mentioning I also did a full decon on the vehicle during the washing using CarPro TRIX and a mild clay bar.
Mr. Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Sparkle For This Useful Post:
WRB-DZA-BRZ (07-27-2013)
Old 07-26-2013, 06:26 PM   #16
Mr. Sparkle

Drives: Mr. Sparkle Detailing Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
Rewet the window with the cleaner and wash it off is an option.

When a polish dries on the paint, adding more polish will remove the old in many cases. Same logic with the glass.

Cheers,
GREG

Thats a great tip to share. Definitely works with a lot of stuff. "Like product removes like product"
Mr. Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:15 PM   #17
Gopherboy6956

Drives: 13 BRZ Limited WRB
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I have this same issue on my WRB BRZ with opticoat. Water spot all over. grrr...

Might have to try that paint cleaner...
The Following User Says Thank You to Gopherboy6956 For This Useful Post:
Godzilla35 (07-31-2013)
Old 08-07-2013, 10:09 PM   #18
jimmillion
Power Ranger Elite

Drives: '13 WRB Sport-tech
so after reading all these water spot/residue stories. For those who have gotten Opti-Coated do you still recommend doing it?

jimmillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:14 PM   #19
Greg Nichols
Paint Correction Guru

Drives: F150 Platinum
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Why is there the assumption that water spots wont happen on Opti coat? The minerals will still be deposited but the coating helps protect from them etching. The coating will also allow you to do a cleaner to remove the minerals but keep the coating intact.

Cheers,
GREG
Ask a pro blog writer for detailed image
duPont Registry approved detailer
Greg Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:20 PM   #20
Gopherboy6956

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmillion View Post
so after reading all these water spot/residue stories. For those who have gotten Opti-Coated do you still recommend doing it?
Idk -For the $200 I paid to have it done, Maybe not.
A good coat of wax twice a year didn't seem to hard.

BUT on the flip side, yesterday it rained unexpectedly, the day after i spent way to much time washing and drying my car. When i got to my car, the water was still on there and all beaded up. I took it out on the interstate, and bam. Clean. (minus road wash on the lower sides) it was like it never even rained, the droplets wiped off that well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gopherboy6956 For This Useful Post:
jimmillion (08-07-2013)
Old 08-07-2013, 10:55 PM   #21
Tromatic
Banned

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 1,728 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Spots are under the Opticoat. Thank whoever applied it. ETA: There is no magic shit that will maintain your cars finish without effort.

Last edited by Tromatic; 08-07-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Tromatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:09 PM   #22
Gopherboy6956

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tromatic View Post
Spots are under the Opticoat. Thank whoever applied it. ETA: There is no magic shit that will maintain your cars finish without effort.
Mine aren't under the coat. I know this because i've watched new ones develop when i couldn't dry it after being in the rain
Old 08-12-2013, 09:29 PM   #23
Godzilla35

Drives: Nissan GT-R
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
Why is there the assumption that water spots wont happen on Opti coat? The minerals will still be deposited but the coating helps protect from them etching. The coating will also allow you to do a cleaner to remove the minerals but keep the coating intact.

Cheers,
GREG
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmillion View Post
The problem is that opticoat, for me at least, pools the water up instead of allowing it to sheet like a good wax would do. It DOES make it easier to dry but it leaves water spots like crazy. It doesn't feel as slick as nice clay + wax but it's a permanent coating on top of your clear so it's an additional barrier to be able to polish through (buying time for OCD people like me).

I shouldn't have bought black.
Godzilla35 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
opticoat, water spots