follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 06-07-2016, 08:56 AM   #10025
kritch

Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited PP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
And there are examples of early adoption with specific applications such as hybrid systems with small displacement for the IC aspects. They use the electric SC to fill in spots just like our engine uses it where it can. I fully believe that as long as development of IC continues there will be a spot for the electric SC.
I am curious what the inside story is with Rob though. Seems like progress has slowed to a crawl. Honestly I have given up hope I would ever get the phantom. I'm either going to never get fi or plunk down money get a Jackson or Kraftwerks.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk
kritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 04:31 PM   #10026
stevo585

Drives: White 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton View Post
It's obviously not that easy, no one else has ever successfully mass produced an electric supercharger that works. This is not Black&Decker here. There is huge power being consumed and many things to go wrong at a moment's notice if something bad happens.

This is a neiche market, mass car companies do not want to deploy this system, they will pay to develop the already proven technology.

That's not to say that this isnt cool stuff we are working on. It's a perfect answer for some people, modest amount of power at a modest price.

As soon as you start adding more power or asking for crazy reliability the cost equation shifts. Once you start getting close to the price of full time FI the game is over.

A couple hundred kits is not "mass production" lmao. I'm a mechanical engineer by day and yes I see everyone's frustration. Rob truly does have a good amount people saying "take my money". He apparently doesn't need the money. I can't see this kit being all that difficult to make. Send me the drawings I'll get it made lol.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:37 PM   #10027
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
To all who are waiting and are currently frustrated... Realize everytime we have had a slow down, new things have been added.

I'm sure something is being cooked up and I'm sure we will all benefit from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sojhinn For This Useful Post:
Gums (06-07-2016), raven1231 (06-07-2016), zc06_kisstherain (06-09-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 04:52 PM   #10028
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Garage
True, IMO manufacturing is likely not the reason for the slow product turn. In my opinion, the test cycle for new iterations of the Phantom kit is appropriately long for the importance of the device. From what I know, this longer test cycle creates a more reliable, better performing product that requires less user maintenance and customer support frustrations. Remember, this is a multi-thousand watt device that people strap to their $30k cars and use at high stress and speeds. This is a responsibility Rob doesn't seem to be willing to underestimate or cut corners on. I for one am thankful. The current Phantom ESC 2.0 kit is very good. The version that many people on the waiting list end up with may be even better due to this long test cycle and the patience of those who choose to wait it out. Hang in there people. There's a good reason no one else has ever been able to pull off ESC's in the aftermarket with a high degree of success. It's a marathon, not a sprint. Not at least until after you get your kits.

Last edited by DAEMANO; 06-11-2016 at 12:15 PM. Reason: corrected error - volt to watt - Thanks Target!
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
Gums (06-07-2016), Sojhinn (06-07-2016), zc06_kisstherain (06-09-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 07:13 PM   #10029
kritch

Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited PP
the doers do

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
True, IMO manufacturing is likely not the reason for the slow product turn. In my opinion, the test cycle for new iterations of the Phantom kit is appropriately long for the importance of the device. From what I know, this longer test cycle creates a more reliable, better performing product that requires less user maintenance and customer support frustrations. Remember, this is a multi-thousand volt device that people strap to their $30k cars and use at high stress and speeds. This is a responsibility Rob doesn't seem to be willing to underestimate or cut corners on. I for one am thankful. The current Phantom ESC 2.0 kit is very good. The version that many people on the waiting list end up with may be even better due to this long test cycle and the patience of those who choose to wait it out. Hang in there people. There's a good reason no one else has ever been able to pull off ESC's in the aftermarket with a high degree of success. It's a marathon, not a sprint. Not at least until after you get your kits.
I can see and agree with all these reasons.
However, please dont take this as a complaint, as more of a suggestion for improvement: A little communication would go a long way.
If Rob made a comment, not even an announcement, it would sooth a lot of savage souls here.
Maybe even a pm or an email saying "hey! thanks for believing in me and my product. Thanks for your patience but X is why its taking so long. It will be worth the wait"
In this day and age where "kickstarter" type efforts often fizzle, its easy to 'look away' when there is -0- comms.
All kinds of respect to the doer though!
kritch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kritch For This Useful Post:
illmatic_frs (06-08-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 07:17 PM   #10030
Target70

Drives: 2013 Asphalt 6spd
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
I'm with you but, and maybe I'm being nit-picky here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
...this is a multi-thousand volt device...
that doesn't sound right to me.
DAEMANO (06-08-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 07:43 PM   #10031
brilthor

Drives: Stage 2 NA E85 ultramarine FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Target70 View Post
I'm with you but, and maybe I'm being nit-picky here:

that doesn't sound right to me.
They are talking about the motor side of the controller

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
brilthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:47 AM   #10032
illmatic_frs

Drives: n/a
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kritch View Post
I can see and agree with all these reasons.
However, please dont take this as a complaint, as more of a suggestion for improvement: A little communication would go a long way.
If Rob made a comment, not even an announcement, it would sooth a lot of savage souls here.
Maybe even a pm or an email saying "hey! thanks for believing in me and my product. Thanks for your patience but X is why its taking so long. It will be worth the wait"
In this day and age where "kickstarter" type efforts often fizzle, its easy to 'look away' when there is -0- comms.
All kinds of respect to the doer though!
Rightly said. We are all supporters. We are those people waiting in line outside the Apple store. Except we are in our cars....
@fenton one clarification: was the list you posted in sequence from first to last, or last to first?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
illmatic_frs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 03:09 PM   #10033
Target70

Quote:
Originally Posted by brilthor View Post
They are talking about the motor side of the controller

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
after thinking about it I realized I had no idea how a brushless motor works. After some youtube videos I get the basics, but without specific motor details I can't find what they typical drive voltage should be, I can figure out the current based on the power wire size, but again without specifics I can't figure out the motor impedance/reactance. So in the end, I really have no idea what kind of signal is coming out of the controller.
DAEMANO (06-09-2016), raven1231 (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 03:32 PM   #10034
KoolBRZ

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ Ltd Auto 45,000 mi
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Garage
It's multi-thousand Watt, just 28 volts. (In three phase)
DAEMANO (06-11-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 05:12 PM   #10035
Target70

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolBRZ View Post
It's multi-thousand Watt, just 28 volts. (In three phase)
wait, multi thousand watt? or multi thousand volt? I don't doubt at all multi thousand Watt, as a microwave is usually at least 1500 Watt. I don't know anything about the controller and for all I know it could have some step-up transformers in it and be out putting thousands of volts like DAEMANO said, I just didn't think it did which is why I even commented. But if it was misspoke and was supposed to be Watt then yeah, completely understandable.

E=I.R (voltage = current times resistance) and P=I.E (power = current times voltage) max current can't be above 80A due to 8awg wire according to random google charts. P=I.E converts to E=P/I so random estimate of 2,500W for power over 80A = 31.25V ~ 28V shown on the volt meter.. This is just a WAG, you wouldn't want to max out your cable capacity so you will run less than 80A and if it is 28V and only 70A you end up with just under 2,000W
I'm just talking out loud here because It has been so many years since school and theory. I just think it is interesting getting into how this actually works. This is the video I watched on the motors:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAY5JInyHXY"]Brushless DC Motors & Control - How it Works (Part 1 of 2) - YouTube[/ame]
DAEMANO (06-11-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 03:05 AM   #10036
Fab Racing

Drives: 2013 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The Phantom supercharger throttle activation

Adjusting my Phantom electric supercharger throttle activation switch to make the system safer.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBq1uyrD6GA"]The Phantom supercharger throttle activation - YouTube[/ame]
Fab Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 12:20 PM   #10037
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Target70 View Post
wait, multi thousand watt? or multi thousand volt? I don't doubt at all multi thousand Watt, as a microwave is usually at least 1500 Watt. I don't know anything about the controller and for all I know it could have some step-up transformers in it and be out putting thousands of volts like DAEMANO said, I just didn't think it did which is why I even commented. But if it was misspoke and was supposed to be Watt then yeah, completely understandable.

E=I.R (voltage = current times resistance) and P=I.E (power = current times voltage) max current can't be above 80A due to 8awg wire according to random google charts. P=I.E converts to E=P/I so random estimate of 2,500W for power over 80A = 31.25V ~ 28V shown on the volt meter.. This is just a WAG, you wouldn't want to max out your cable capacity so you will run less than 80A and if it is 28V and only 70A you end up with just under 2,000W
I'm just talking out loud here because It has been so many years since school and theory. I just think it is interesting getting into how this actually works. This is the video I watched on the motors:
Thanks @Target70 and everyone who participates in the conversations here. The openness and curiosity of those that choose to F.I. this wa only makes being a part of this group so much better.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
Target70 (06-11-2016)
Old 06-11-2016, 11:58 PM   #10038
silent runner

Drives: 93'Camry, 82'Corolla, 76' Celica
Just a quick note from one of the first "developement" testers:

Hey my ancient 1993 V-6 Camry is still running strong with the first Version 1.0 Phantom Supercharger, after 2.5 years, and currently at 374K Km.
silent runner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to silent runner For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (06-16-2016), DAEMANO (06-16-2016)

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive