follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 10-25-2015, 06:28 PM   #799
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Impreza View Post
Yeah so true, i feel like in video games especially, a lot of kids probably pick our cars and pretend to be drift stars
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmong337 View Post
I find that it's the millennium generation kids that truly love this car. Reminds me of when I was 14 and dreaming of Supras, mr2s, and 300zxs.
Video games like Forza and Gran Turismo as well as Top Gear seemed to get people my age/generation into cars, my friend group however all had parents into cars so it naturally spread Don't underestimate the "90s kids"
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 06:38 PM   #800
FRSBRZGT86FAN

I have two stories from the summer:

1) Was at the post office, picking up some pop clips I ordered onlie to fix my stupidity destroying some of the ones in the fender liner and just didn't like the hole that's left there. Older lady 50+ comes to tell me my car is beautiful and she likes the color. Also 5 minutes later a cop pulls up behind my car and just stares at it for some time, possibly running the plates and says nice car

2) At a gas station annoying fat guy who seems like a bum that I always see with his twin brother harassing cashiers at a nearby store literally starts asking so many stupid ass questions like how much are the payments, where do I work and live, how fast have I been in it etc. then he puts his hands on the windows to look inside and leaves a massive hand print and his twin brother is on the other side doing the same crap while I'm filling gas. I don't answer his questions and give a nervous laugh, go inside to "get my receipt" but really just go in to get beef jerky and set the panic alarm off and they leave. The parking lot attendant apologized, apparently they always fight with each other in the gas station and pay with food stamps for everything and it always declines there cards, I felt kind of bad after that.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
Mr.Impreza (10-25-2015)
Old 10-25-2015, 06:50 PM   #801
02.ACCORD.DUDE
Car N00B

Drives: Honda Accord (2002)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFRS69 View Post
i get approached more bye the older generation (45+) than anyone near my age

the people my age that dont own the car, hate it and make fun of it
Usually the people in my age group (Mid / Late 20's) initially ask why I didn't get the BRZ and rag on it for being a Scion, but then I point out the stupidity of their Scion hate by getting them to admit that if the car was simply badged Toyota instead of Scion they wouldn't have had any complaints at all...

That's how they all start, before coming around to the car after riding in / driving it...
02.ACCORD.DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 06:53 PM   #802
02.ACCORD.DUDE
Car N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
I have two stories from the summer:

1) Was at the post office, picking up some pop clips I ordered onlie to fix my stupidity destroying some of the ones in the fender liner and just didn't like the hole that's left there. Older lady 50+ comes to tell me my car is beautiful and she likes the color. Also 5 minutes later a cop pulls up behind my car and just stares at it for some time, possibly running the plates and says nice car

2) At a gas station annoying fat guy who seems like a bum that I always see with his twin brother harassing cashiers at a nearby store literally starts asking so many stupid ass questions like how much are the payments, where do I work and live, how fast have I been in it etc. then he puts his hands on the windows to look inside and leaves a massive hand print and his twin brother is on the other side doing the same crap while I'm filling gas. I don't answer his questions and give a nervous laugh, go inside to "get my receipt" but really just go in to get beef jerky and set the panic alarm off and they leave. The parking lot attendant apologized, apparently they always fight with each other in the gas station and pay with food stamps for everything and it always declines there cards, I felt kind of bad after that.
Maybe I was just paranoid, but I have one of the only FR-S / BRZ in my town and the first week I had the car it seemed like virtually every cop in the area would get behind me and run my plates...
Old 10-25-2015, 07:17 PM   #803
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02.ACCORD.DUDE View Post
Maybe I was just paranoid, but I have one of the only FR-S / BRZ in my town and the first week I had the car it seemed like virtually every cop in the area would get behind me and run my plates...
I used to work late at night like into way early morning like getting off at 1 am and seeing street "ricers" in civics and eg hatchbacks and such running down the main street. Then I would see a few minutes later a squad car speeding down the same road without there lights on trying to catch up to them. In this area Bucks County PA and Philadelphia PA the police seem to group it in the same category and run every sports cars plates for some reason, my friend has another FR-S and another with an e36 M3 all get the same treatment and one was followed for several minutes then the officer broke away to do something else, I think our cars just draw police attention regardless of situation.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:01 PM   #804
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02.ACCORD.DUDE View Post
Quote:
I used to work late at night like into way early morning like getting off at 1 am and seeing street "ricers" in civics and eg hatchbacks and such running down the main street. Then I would see a few minutes later a squad car speeding down the same road without there lights on trying to catch up to them. In this area Bucks County PA and Philadelphia PA the police seem to group it in the same category and run every sports cars plates for some reason, my friend has another FR-S and another with an e36 M3 all get the same treatment and one was followed for several minutes then the officer broke away to do something else, I think our cars just draw police attention regardless of situation.
I bet I get my plates run at least once a week. Profiling is real but then there is usually a valid reason that a type of car gets the rep to be profiled in the first place. Add to that the fact that it looks expensive (and no cops don't know any more about them any more then the rest of the general public) yet tends to be driven by a younger crowd and it could raise the interest of a bored officer.
soulreapersteve (10-25-2015)
Old 10-25-2015, 08:12 PM   #805
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I bet I get my plates run at least once a week. Profiling is real but then there is usually a valid reason that a type of car gets the rep to be profiled in the first place. Add to that the fact that it looks expensive (and no cops don't know any more about them any more then the rest of the general public) yet tends to be driven by a younger crowd and it could raise the interest of a bored officer.
I agree, the car looks more expensive than it actually is also people that tend to think it's super expensive are not the ones who are into cars so they'll immediately profile the owner.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
02.ACCORD.DUDE (10-25-2015), BRZHarley (10-29-2015), soulreapersteve (10-25-2015), Tcoat (10-25-2015)
Old 10-25-2015, 08:16 PM   #806
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
I agree, the car looks more expensive than it actually is also people that tend to think it's super expensive are not the ones who are into cars so they'll immediately profile the owner.
Exactly. We probably all look like drug dealers to them.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:42 PM   #807
02.ACCORD.DUDE
Car N00B

Quote:
I was in a Partner's office a few weeks ago and he asked me if I saw the Maserati in the parking lot, pointing from his office window to my FR-S (strategically tucked away in a corner of the parking lot, away from everyone else)...

I played along at first before busting the guy's chops by telling him that it was a Scion and that the car was mine

(In fairness to him, I think he only caught the car when I was turning into the lot in the morning and then again from his office window - there has in the past been a Maserati in the lot too so he could have just been confused... Either way we both got a good laugh afterwards!)
Old 10-26-2015, 03:35 PM   #808
Token11b

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I had someone mistake mine for a corvette once. It was from a distance. They were walking and talkin to themselves and said "oh man look at the corvette" I was fairly confused as there were no corvettes that were visible from where they or I was at. Then I see my car and chuckle and just walk. Even from a distance it looks nothing like a corvette
Token11b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 03:52 PM   #809
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token11b View Post
I had someone mistake mine for a corvette once. It was from a distance. They were walking and talkin to themselves and said "oh man look at the corvette" I was fairly confused as there were no corvettes that were visible from where they or I was at. Then I see my car and chuckle and just walk. Even from a distance it looks nothing like a corvette
Well if it's someone not into cars they would attribute the coupe layout and curves to a corvette
Old 10-28-2015, 10:27 PM   #810
cbf

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited, GBS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
Is that true? the FRS is a higher trim level than the BRZ? I thought it was the opposite.
It usually is the opposite. Even the base BRZ ("Premium") has standard equipment like a nav unit and HID headlights that aren't (weren't?) normally available on the FRS.

However, the FRS special editions like the 10 series are as well equipped as the BRZ limited, and perhaps more so. But they're also priced higher.

I test drove a 10 Series before I bought my BRZ. Actually, I drove it one block and promptly brought it back to the dealer lot. You see, it has extra noise piped into the passenger compartment. Always..
cbf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 11:06 PM   #811
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Got a peace sign from the driver of a new Camaro at a stop light the other day. I replied "nice car!" and got a "yours too!" in response.

Nice to exchange some props with the domestic enthusiasts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 12:50 AM   #812
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbf View Post
It usually is the opposite. Even the base BRZ ("Premium") has standard equipment like a nav unit and HID headlights that aren't (weren't?) normally available on the FRS.
Yup, FR-S doesn't get:
Push Start
Keyless entry (i.e. keep key fob in pocket and reach at door handle)
Standard Navigation (keyword is standard, 2015 has it on an option now I believe but I didn't get it)
HID or DRL LED headlights that exist on the GT86
Headlamp washers
Heated mirrors aren't an option in the U.S.
Automatic dual zone climate control

The list is probably longer, but all that stuff only comes on the monogram, series 10, or Release series 1.0 I believe and probably any future "limited" FR-S editions which will probably continue the lineage of adding some TRD parts that aren't offered in North America standard as well as the aforementioned features that aren't offered as well