follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 05-05-2014, 02:05 PM   #1
GotBRZ1691

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited 6smt
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Head Unit Issues

If there is another thread on this topic my apologies, but I searched around and couldn't find anything.

I have owned a BRZ for about a month and this just started happening today. The head unit has been turning off and back on often while driving. everything still works, it just restarts here and there.

I just started using the USB port for music. Could this be part of the problem?

Other than than this no issues with the BRZ, love it
GotBRZ1691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:08 PM   #2
N1rve

Drives: 2019 BMW ///M4
Thanked 1,167 Times in 714 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotBRZ1691 View Post
If there is another thread on this topic my apologies, but I searched around and couldn't find anything.

I have owned a BRZ for about a month and this just started happening today. The head unit has been turning off and back on often while driving. everything still works, it just restarts here and there.

It sounds like your BRZ headunit has a hardware issue. If you can, record it when it happens and bring it to your dealer.

You should get it swapped for another one. Technology isn't perfect.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
N1rve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:50 PM   #3
GotBRZ1691

It happened on one day only so far. It reset everything including the agreement when you first use the gps for the first time. I'll will keep track of it and will continue to let you guys know if it gets worse. Seems no one else has had this problem which is good.
The Following User Says Thank You to GotBRZ1691 For This Useful Post:
Alltezza (02-13-2015)
Old 05-16-2014, 11:44 PM   #4
sickskillz
WRB

Drives: '14 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
This happened to me once a couple months ago (along with some other random strange issues like the car taking a few cranks to turn on and the headunit being completely reset when powering on after it had been sitting overnight). After this happened I found a post somewhere online (wasn't on ft86club) that mentioned issues when having an aftermarket LED dome light. Just to humor myself I removed the LED dome light and put the stock dome light back in place. Haven't changed it back out in the past few months and I can say I haven't noticed any of the weird issues I was previously seeing.

The only thing I can't figure out now is why my speed dials keep getting reset every once in awhile.
sickskillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:41 AM   #5
Sony

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ MT Limited
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotBRZ1691 View Post

I just fixed this issue on my car.

First make sure you format your USB Stick to FAT32 and NOT ExFat, the headunit has trouble reading the ExFat format and it crashes it.

Second make sure you have a SINGLE root folder which contains all of your music on the USB stick. The stock head unit is pretty stupid and for some reason it will try to mount every root level folder on the USB stick as a separate drive...if you have too many folders it freaks out. So make a single folder on the USB stick (call it whatever you want, I called mine "BRZ Music") and then you can put all your music in that folder, sorted however you want in as many folders as you want.

Third clean out any files that the head unit cannot read, the HU can only read .wav and .mp3 so anythign else you need to convert to one of those two formats. Also remove any .m3u playlists, pictures or any video files (unless you have video files formatted to fit the HU.)

This has fixed ALL of my issues with my Head Unit crashing, also it has allowed me to run a 64GB USB stick with no issues and I have heard it works with 128GB sticks as well.
Sony is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sony For This Useful Post:
86geek (02-13-2015), chas3wba0 (01-29-2015)
Old 05-19-2014, 01:57 PM   #6
GotBRZ1691

Thanks @Sony. It seems the problem is related to the USB stick hopefully. However, now the head unit turns off and stays off instead of rebooting. Takes a minute or two to start up again sometimes
Old 02-13-2015, 12:26 AM   #7
Alltezza

Drives: WRB Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Well I used the search function and BAM look what I found.

Alright so I just encountered this same exact issue just now, I've owned my 2014 BRZ since March or April of 2014. So like 10 minutes ago (Exxon gas station down my house) I filled up and since its cold as fck! I sat in my car and was on my phone and waited until my gas was finshed.

So it's finished and I start my car up and then I'm greeted to this Agreement thing and drive safe stuff and I'm like Blah I don't care and I'm noticing that it's not playing music from my phone. So I just go to the Bluetooth section on our headunit and hit play on my phone. Worked fine. So I drive off, I noticed that my head unit got unusually VERY DIM. (It's at night by the way) and then as I'm listening to my music it cuts off and I'm like NOOOOOO!!!!! So I'm at a long stop light so I just go back to my bluetooth and play again.

Anyways yeah, I'm running on bluetooth on my phone. This is the first time this has happened. Hopefully this doesn't happen again. I really don't wanna go to the dealership.

Since this is a pretty old thread hopefully someone out there has a fix or a link that I can go to and fix it, if it happens to me again.
Alltezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 11:50 PM   #8
rhythmM

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited MT - White
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
This just started happening to mines too! 3 times so far, and started this month. I reallllllly don't want to take the car to the dealership....

Phantom Super Charged - 2014 BRZ
rhythmM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:38 AM   #9
BlueSky

Drives: 2015 Aozora BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony View Post
I just fixed this issue on my car.

First make sure you format your USB Stick to FAT32 and NOT ExFat, the headunit has trouble reading the ExFat format and it crashes it.

Second make sure you have a SINGLE root folder which contains all of your music on the USB stick. The stock head unit is pretty stupid and for some reason it will try to mount every root level folder on the USB stick as a separate drive...if you have too many folders it freaks out. So make a single folder on the USB stick (call it whatever you want, I called mine "BRZ Music") and then you can put all your music in that folder, sorted however you want in as many folders as you want.

Third clean out any files that the head unit cannot read, the HU can only read .wav and .mp3 so anythign else you need to convert to one of those two formats. Also remove any .m3u playlists, pictures or any video files (unless you have video files formatted to fit the HU.)

This has fixed ALL of my issues with my Head Unit crashing, also it has allowed me to run a 64GB USB stick with no issues and I have heard it works with 128GB sticks as well.

2nd that it is the USB
I had the same issue with mine, it had restarted 3 times, took it to dealership to document it happening anyway..
I installed my OEM audio and a new usb drive and it hasn't happened since
BlueSky is offline   Reply With Quote